Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 06:57 PM

86 posts, read 497,631 times

Advertisements

I just wanted to make everybody aware about using Ingles gas, stop using it. You're not saving any money.

I've got a new Ingles right in front of my sub division, so naturally I've been using their gas because it's convenient and they're usually one of the cheapest around. Well after a few back to back tests on all 3 vehicles in my household, I'm getting an average of 30-50 miles less per tank w/ Ingles gas when compared to other gas stations.

Now, I'm a GM technician, so I work on cars for a living so I pay close attention to this stuff. So I start running through all of our vehicles doing tune ups, and doing other maintenance assuming this is the problem even though most of this stuff was up to date. No dice, there was no change in mileage.

After realizing it's probably crap gas, I switch over to Wal Mart gas 4 weeks ago. Since then, on average my 30-50 miles is now back and I've actually gained a few mpg with the Wal Mart gas.

Moral of the story, you're not saving any money using Ingles gas. I'm not sure what crap additives they're using in their gas for "fillers", but after back to back testing I've concluded it's garbage.

FYI for everyone, cheers.

Old 09-08-2009, 08:14 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,046,590 times
Interesting but all gas is suppose to come through the same pipelines so I never buy into the ads that say Chevron is best or Shell is best etc.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:43 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,422,668 times
I performed the same tests with Race Trac gas, and got similar results as yours. Maybe Ingles and Race Trac use the same supplier. It's not worth the few cents saved.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:49 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Race Trac is notorious for adding water to their gas.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:07 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
I just wanted to make everybody aware about using Ingles gas, stop using it. You're not saving any money.

I've got a new Ingles right in front of my sub division, so naturally I've been using their gas because it's convenient and they're usually one of the cheapest around. Well after a few back to back tests on all 3 vehicles in my household, I'm getting an average of 30-50 miles less per tank w/ Ingles gas when compared to other gas stations.

Now, I'm a GM technician, so I work on cars for a living so I pay close attention to this stuff. So I start running through all of our vehicles doing tune ups, and doing other maintenance assuming this is the problem even though most of this stuff was up to date. No dice, there was no change in mileage.

After realizing it's probably crap gas, I switch over to Wal Mart gas 4 weeks ago. Since then, on average my 30-50 miles is now back and I've actually gained a few mpg with the Wal Mart gas.

Moral of the story, you're not saving any money using Ingles gas. I'm not sure what crap additives they're using in their gas for "fillers", but after back to back testing I've concluded it's garbage.

FYI for everyone, cheers.
Thanks...!

Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 PM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I performed the same tests with Race Trac gas, and got similar results as yours. Maybe Ingles and Race Trac use the same supplier. It's not worth the few cents saved.

Thanks as well...!

Old 09-09-2009, 06:56 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southlander View Post
That is a serious charge, and sounds more like rumor than fact. Can you elaborate on how you know this to be the case? Where is it occuring? Is the guy at the station sticking a water hose down in the tank and turning it on? The water and gas would separate in the truck, so it would have to be done at the station.

Water in fuel can cause issues with engines and if there was some massive set of problems with people who bought gas at Racetrack, I think it would have surfaced. They can be subject to massive fines and other penalties. Normally, doing something like that for a few cents a gallon isn't worth the world of hurt it can bring down.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:12 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
I usually try to avoid gas stations that sell "E10", which is 90% gasoline, 10% ethanol. Although it is a few cents cheaper than 100% gas, you will see lower mileage by using E10, plus it can have other affects on your engine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/bu...26ethanol.html

Old 09-09-2009, 07:17 AM

86 posts, read 497,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I usually try to avoid gas stations that sell "E10", which is 90% gasoline, 10% ethanol. Although it is a few cents cheaper than 100% gas, you will see lower mileage by using E10, plus it can have other affects on your engine.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/26/bu...26ethanol.html
Nice article.

Old 09-09-2009, 07:43 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,189,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
As stated in the article, all modern cars are certified by the manufacturers to run just fine on E10, and with some modifications, we even have cars today that run on E85 (85% ethanol). The article mentions that mileage may be reduced by about 2% but doesn't mention how much cost is also reduced, so while there may be a slight decrease in mileage, it's probably offset by a reduction in cost.

There is an environmental savings in the fact that less oil needs to be imported and alcohol burns cleaner. To me, this is a non-issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta