Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:40 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Why is Dacula a joke???
If I had to guess--

--Dacula lacks diversity?

--The area is a bastion for conservative politics?

--There is some sort of rivalry--'East/West' metro Atlanta??

--Dacula was a very small town for most of its history--it has grown 'too big for its britches---lol--'Silver Britches'? (Inside joke--the UGA football players once were called 'Silver Britches', not certain those are still part of the uniform. FWIW.)

Since I prefer the Eastern side, mainly because that is where I have spent more time, I don't think a lot of Acworth. I have no idea how it may have grown and developed but it was once little more than a place you passed on the way to Alabama, for instance. Greyhound buses went through Acworth, I knew a girl in college that was reluctant to admit that was her point of origin.

So Dacula and Acworth are possibly more alike than different.

Until about 5 years ago I had never heard of Dacula--I have to think it grew because of UGA and Mall of GA, and the expansion of the roads in the area/or the roads were expanded because the people were there and asked for better roads?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 07:22 AM

1,352 posts, read 4,375,626 times
Acworth is huge in terms of addresses. Acworth city is nothing worth bothering with yes, but the actual area is far more developed and convenient than dacula area.

Besides really, comparing i85 v i75 traffic in itself is enough to make many people make a choice

Old 09-11-2009, 07:38 AM

1,050 posts, read 3,526,904 times
Acworth has some nice restaurants downtown. Henry's is a landmark. A great deal of Cobb Parkway has been incorporated into the city which is a plus for revenue. Within five miles, you have just about all the shopping you need. If you like malls, Town Center is about a 15 minute drive south on 75. Schools are iffy.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:14 AM

152 posts, read 525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Why is Dacula a joke???
Dacula's not a joke. The person who said that lives in Acworth so I imagine they like Acworth. It's just that Dacula and Acworth are two completely different places, 60 miles apart from each other. Its not like saying compare Dacula and Auburn, for example.

As others have said, Dacula was small until very recently. Like many other places in the metro area, one name cover a lot of area. The newest area is Hamilton Mill. This includes lots of very nice, often very expensive, houses in subdivisions with swim, tennis, often golf. Lot of big box retailers in the area. It is right of 85. If you look on google maps, its the area known as Hog Mountain (its original name). Its covered by Mill Creek schools.

The actual city of Dacula itself is small. Its got a lot of restaurant and fast food places, but not really big box retailers. Theres an ACE and Rite Aid near my house for example, but not Home Depot or Wal Mart. I imagine there are some more expensive homes, but it is more middle class than Hamilton Mill (I just paid 130k for a 10 year old 3/2.5). Lots of late 90s, early 2000 fairly modest subdivisions. Quickest way to get to ATL is via 316 then 85. Its in Dacula school system.

Then east/ south of the city limits is an area known as Harbins. I'm not real familiar with it, but believe its also less developed, although there are plenty of subdivisions. I am not sure if the area is still covered by Dacula or is now part of Archer schools. And this area is also off of 316.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,688,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettk View Post
Dacula's not a joke. The person who said that lives in Acworth so I imagine they like Acworth. It's just that Dacula and Acworth are two completely different places, 60 miles apart from each other. Its not like saying compare Dacula and Auburn, for example.

As others have said, Dacula was small until very recently. Like many other places in the metro area, one name cover a lot of area. The newest area is Hamilton Mill. This includes lots of very nice, often very expensive, houses in subdivisions with swim, tennis, often golf. Lot of big box retailers in the area. It is right of 85. If you look on google maps, its the area known as Hog Mountain (its original name). Its covered by Mill Creek schools.

The actual city of Dacula itself is small. Its got a lot of restaurant and fast food places, but not really big box retailers. Theres an ACE and Rite Aid near my house for example, but not Home Depot or Wal Mart. I imagine there are some more expensive homes, but it is more middle class than Hamilton Mill (I just paid 130k for a 10 year old 3/2.5). Lots of late 90s, early 2000 fairly modest subdivisions. Quickest way to get to ATL is via 316 then 85. Its in Dacula school system.

Then east/ south of the city limits is an area known as Harbins. I'm not real familiar with it, but believe its also less developed, although there are plenty of subdivisions. I am not sure if the area is still covered by Dacula or is now part of Archer schools. And this area is also off of 316.
Nice post. Sounds like you got a great deal. What subdivision is that?

BTW Harbins is also pretty rural and home to largest park in the County Harbins-alcovy.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:45 PM

152 posts, read 525,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdkb View Post
Nice post. Sounds like you got a great deal. What subdivision is that?

BTW Harbins is also pretty rural and home to largest park in the County Harbins-alcovy.
I think the technical name of the subdivision is Dacula Crossings, but its not the main Dacula Crossings off Harbins near the city hall, its like a 10 house street off of Tanner that backs up into the main Dacula Crossings.

Very good deals are out there.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:11 PM

86 posts, read 497,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
If I had to guess--

--Dacula lacks diversity?

--The area is a bastion for conservative politics?

--There is some sort of rivalry--'East/West' metro Atlanta??

--Dacula was a very small town for most of its history--it has grown 'too big for its britches---lol--'Silver Britches'? (Inside joke--the UGA football players once were called 'Silver Britches', not certain those are still part of the uniform. FWIW.)

Since I prefer the Eastern side, mainly because that is where I have spent more time, I don't think a lot of Acworth. I have no idea how it may have grown and developed but it was once little more than a place you passed on the way to Alabama, for instance. Greyhound buses went through Acworth, I knew a girl in college that was reluctant to admit that was her point of origin.

So Dacula and Acworth are possibly more alike than different.

Until about 5 years ago I had never heard of Dacula--I have to think it grew because of UGA and Mall of GA, and the expansion of the roads in the area/or the roads were expanded because the people were there and asked for better roads?
That is the most ignorant set of reasons I've possibly ever read on this forum. You've pretty much lost all credibility with anything you'll ever post in this thread. Pure garbage.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:51 PM

110 posts, read 235,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
That is the most ignorant set of reasons I've possibly ever read on this forum. You've pretty much lost all credibility with anything you'll ever post in this thread. Pure garbage.
LOL, I think this poster was being facetious in response to city rover's response.

Old 09-13-2009, 05:26 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,490,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_guy View Post
The poster that followed you is spot on.

I assumed the person who said 'Dacula is a joke' was being somewhat facetious and responded in kind, looking back it was a wasted effort but I am certain I will live to regret my loss of credibility in your book.

Who cares about either Dacula or Acworth except for the people who live there? The person who is actually considering the two areas is now living in South FL. She has asked a number of questions about towns/cities in the metro area. While I do not posess expertise on the entire metro area I have responded to her posts with any information that seemed relevant. I'm not certain she understands the geography of the metro area--she could conceivably think Dacula and Acworth are adjacent--I really have no idea what she thinks/knows.

FWIW, I have frequently been amazed at the POV's of many posters in this forum and in RL. I don't think I have ever told anyone that they had no right to whatever opinion they might hold.

Old 09-13-2009, 06:54 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,245,705 times
I actually don't know the geography, except from the map. I know they are not next to one another, but wanted to know the diff between the 2 towns. Where I live, I would rather live in Coral Springs then Coconut Creek, and they are right next to one another, but diff.
I actually think all replies have been helpful in my research. We will be there in December. Thank you guys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta