Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:03 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,246,586 times

Advertisements

What's thee difference between the 2?
Safety, schools, convenience to stores, etc.?
Is Acworth more remote?

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,496,439 times
Acworth is located in the NW quadrant of the metro area. Kennesaw, Marietta, Mableton and Smyrna are nearby. I cannot be certain but I believe the Cobb county schools in the western portion are not as highly acclaimed as the schools of East Cobb. From this I infer that the parent should be selective when choosing a home and be informed about the better/worse schools in the desired area.

Dacula is in the NE sector--Lawrenceville, the headquarters of Gwinnett county government is adjacent to Dacula. The UGA, located in Athens, is about 30 minutes away. Many people in this area work and attend UGA. The community is primarily Caucasian with diversity found around Lawrenceville and vicinity. Several posters who live in this area find the schools to be satisfactory and the athletic programs outstanding.

hth

Old 09-10-2009, 08:38 AM

This totally helped. Perfect. Thank you.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:05 AM

86 posts, read 497,826 times
I live in Dacula/Auburn. Great place. Parks are nice, town is quiet, crime is low. You're 20 minutes from Athens, 10 minutes from Mall of Ga, and 5 minutes from Lawrenceville.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:11 AM

What's in Athens and what's in Lawrenceville?

Old 09-10-2009, 09:33 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,373,515 times
Athens is where the University of Georgia is. Lawrenceville is the County Seat of Gwinnett County. Discover Mills is in Lawrenceville (just like Sawgrass, only smaller), and the main Medical Center for the County is also there.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:47 AM

Awesome!!!!

Old 09-10-2009, 10:26 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,096,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Acworth is located in the NW quadrant of the metro area. Kennesaw, Marietta, Mableton and Smyrna are nearby.
Just to clarify... Acworth is the in the far northern part of Cobb County up by Lake Allatoona, while Mableton is the in the far south. Driving distance from the center of Acworth to the center of Mableton is roughly 23 miles according to Google Maps. Near in some senses, it's true, but not so near in others. I don't know if I'd be willing to commute between the two, for example.

Quote:
I cannot be certain but I believe the Cobb county schools in the western portion are not as highly acclaimed as the schools of East Cobb. From this I infer that the parent should be selective when choosing a home and be informed about the better/worse schools in the desired area.
There are three East Cobb schools (Walton, Lassiter, and Pope) which get a lot of attention, but there are other schools within Cobb County (e.g., Marietta High School in the Marietta school district) which are also excellent. I agree that some research should be done if school rankings are a priority. Most schools in the Cobb County school district are okay, but there are a few that might be a concern for some folks.

I should note that East Cobb comprises roughly 30% of Cobb County. The rest of the county includes West Cobb as well as the entire southern half of the county (Smyrna, Marietta proper, Mableton, Austell, etc.).

Old 09-10-2009, 10:52 AM

950 posts, read 3,192,892 times
Acworth is situated in four counties - Cobb, Cherokee, Paulding and Bartow.

If the population was based on the city's two zip codes, Acworth would be the second largest city in Cobb County.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM

2,206 posts, read 6,893,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Acworth is situated in four counties - Cobb, Cherokee, Paulding and Bartow.

If the population was based on the city's two zip codes, Acworth would be the second largest city in Cobb County.
I think this is a bit misleading. The City of Acworth is entirely within Cobb. The following paragraph from Acworth, Georgia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia explains what Brian is writing about:

Unincorporated areas considered Acworth for mailing purposes also extend into southeast Bartow County, northeast Paulding County, and southwest Cherokee County. Some of the incorporated portions of Acworth east of Nance Road and Acworth Due West Road have a Kennesaw mailing address.

There are lots of threads on this forum, alluding to the mismatches between zip codes and cities and counties. Having "Acworth" in your mailing address doesn't mean a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta