Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 02:40 PM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

I am looking for an indoor pool to water jog and doing water aerobics. Does anyone know which one is nicest? Inside Atlanta or which suburb? The pool I use now is almost kid-free from 1 pm - 4 pm, and many retirees use it then. It's great and would love to duplicate this situation in the Atlanta region.
Just guessing this pool might be located in Alpharetta or some other suburb, but don't know the area.
Am a retired woman, Caucasian, who will be buying a condo somewhere near an indoor pool to use year around at least 3-4X a week in a more upscale area. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 04:43 PM

744 posts, read 2,482,977 times
I live in Peachtree City on the southwest side of Atlanta. We have alot of retirees here that love living here for many reasons . Safety, golf, our golf carts and golfcart paths and the great recreational facilities . One of which features at tented heated pool which for year round use. We also have a World Gym which also has an enclosed heated pool.World Gym's pool is hardly ever used by kids . Hope this helps.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:49 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Tootsie, when we moved from Canada we were surprised by the lack of public indoor pools in the Atlanta suburbs. There are lots of subdivision pools, but they're all outdoor. Many public pools are outdoor. I don't know what it's like in the midwest, where you're from, but Canadian cities tend to be well supplied with public pool complexes, all indoor, often with extra facilities (diving towers, water slides, kiddie pools, etc.) and year-round programming including activities such as the water aerobics you mention.

The Atlanta suburbs I'm familiar with (Cobb county and Roswell areas) have nothing like this. There is a public indoor pool in my area (Mountain View), but it's a very plain facility, not what I'd call nice. I get the impression it's mostly used by swim teams that train year-round. There are indoor pools at many YMCAs (the one I've used is small and no-frills), and some private fitness clubs I guess.

We've simply adapted to what seems to be the local custom of regarding swimming as only a warm-weather, outdoor activity. Maybe there are some other parts of the metro with great indoor swimming. I'll be interested if anyone has something to share on this.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:55 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,958,820 times
My neighbor uses the pool at LA Fitness on Windward Pkwy in Alpharetta. She takes a water aerobics class there. I asked about the pool, and she said it is very clean.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:40 AM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,912,112 times
I think the Buckhead YMCA would fit what your looking for. Plenty of condos in the area (Buckhead) down the street from the YMCA and it's a great area and probably the best YMCA in the city and the facility, programs and pools (Indoor and Outdoor) and tennis courts are bar none!

YMCA of Metropolitan Atlanta - Carl E. Sanders Family YMCA at Buckhead Home Page

Old 10-28-2009, 08:26 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times
In the Midwest--what with such a short warm weather swimming season (5 months?)--they use indoor pools. I just happen to have one in my area now that is a spectacular pool with a humungus hot tub coming soon, too, and work-out rooms. It's so great that it's too bad I can't take it with; however, with the wonderful pool here comes some really cruddy weather the rest of the year. Can't have it all I guess.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:33 AM

1,320 posts, read 4,275,471 times
I've used 2 different pools intown. The Wellness Center at DeKalb Medical Center just outside the City of Decatur has an indoor pool.

Wellness Center

I'm not 100% sure they allow water jogging at the Wellness Center pool. It doesn't make any sense that they wouldn't, but you would definitely need to check before making any decisions.

2nd Ponce de Leon Baptist Church on Peachtree Road in Buckhead has a spectacular Family Life Center which non-members (and non-Baptists) may join. Second Ponce de Leon Baptist Church (http://www.spdl.org/flcpool.html - broken link)

It's been years since I was there, but the only problem I remember at 2nd Ponce was that the acoustics were so bad that it made listening to instructions from water aerobics teachers very difficult.

I believe both places provide month-to-month memberships so no long term commitment is required and I'm pretty sure both offer either free short-term memberships (like a free week) or at least a low-cost daily pass so you can check it out for yourself.

Good luck!

Old 10-28-2009, 12:35 PM

141 posts, read 429,471 times
Gwinnett Coutny opened their Aquatic center last year. The facility is still fairly new and its location isn't on a bus line or accessible without decent transportation -- ergo not as many kids or problems.

West Gwinnett Park Aquatic Center 770.417.2281
4488 Peachtree Industrial Boulevard, Norcross 30071
Features an indoor 25-yard by 25-meter competition pool with 750-seat spectator area and instructional pool that is open year round. Outdoor leisure/water park pool features a beach entry, two giant waterslides, river channel, bubble bench, vortex, spray bar and water play structures.

Winter Hours: 9/14/09 - 5/13/10

Indoor Lap Pool
Indoor Instructional Pool
Monday
9:00am-9:00pm
11:00am-6:00pm
Tuesday
6:00am-9:00pm
Wednesday
9:00am-9:00pm
Thursday
6:00am-9:00pm
Friday
Saturday
noon-6:00pm
noon-6:00pm
Sunday
1:00-6:00pm
1:00-6:00pm

Old 10-28-2009, 07:53 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
In the Midwest--what with such a short warm weather swimming season (5 months?)--they use indoor pools. I just happen to have one in my area now that is a spectacular pool with a humungus hot tub coming soon, too, and work-out rooms. It's so great that it's too bad I can't take it with; however, with the wonderful pool here comes some really cruddy weather the rest of the year. Can't have it all I guess.
The public and subdivision outdoor pools in my area all seem to open on Memorial Day weekend and close on Labor Day. It does seem plenty warm enough for outdoor swimming before and (especially) after those days to my northern way of thinking, but the locals appear to believe it's way too cold.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:19 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,526,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
I am looking for an indoor pool to water jog and doing water aerobics. Does anyone know which one is nicest? Inside Atlanta or which suburb? The pool I use now is almost kid-free from 1 pm - 4 pm, and many retirees use it then. It's great and would love to duplicate this situation in the Atlanta region.
Just guessing this pool might be located in Alpharetta or some other suburb, but don't know the area.
Am a retired woman, Caucasian, who will be buying a condo somewhere near an indoor pool to use year around at least 3-4X a week in a more upscale area. Any suggestions?
I agree with Rainy on the Mountain View Aquatic center in East Cobb. It isn't upscale but if you like water jogging you can almost always get your own lane. I swim laps there fairly often and my child swims for team that practices there. Also they have water aerobics classes in a separate pool. The main lap pool is huge. A swimmer's dream. My only complaint is the lap pool is often about 78 degrees which is a bit cold for my tastes (but it does make you move a little faster). The aerobics pool is much warmer. The locker rooms are simple but very clean and it is very inexpensive to join. We also belong to the McKlesky YMCA in East Cobb. The pool is fine nothing special.... but they have recently renovated the locker rooms and some facilities. They changed the pool to a salt water system if that matters to you. Montain View is a chlorine pool. I heard about a new facility on 92 in Woodstock. I can't speak for it but some of my neighbors joined and really like it. I think it is called Lifetime Fitness center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta