Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:49 PM

3 posts, read 14,784 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am planning on buying a house in Georgia.My budget is around $300k to $350k. I am unable to decide between Alpharetta(North Fulton county) and Duluth or Suwanee (Gwinett county).

I have noticed that North Fulton is more expensive and we get more value for money in Suwanee....but is Suwanee a good place to buy a house in terms of school district and resale value? Why is it that houses in Suwanee are less expensive?

I would appreciate some help on this.

Thanx
SS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 AM

985 posts, read 5,756,737 times
I assume that you are talking about Johns Creek (30097) and Duluth (30097)/Suwanee (30024) area.

Johns Creek has top two high school in Atlanta in Northview high. So you are paying a premium to be in that neighborhood.

If your kids are young, there are some very good elementary schools in Suwanee as well. IMO, Parson, Suwanee, Mason, Riverside are on par with most elementary schools in Johns Creek (Wilson Creek, etc). We are talking about top 50 elementary schools in Georgia here. If there is a difference, the difference is minimum.

In term of resale, it is very tough to say. The reason is that 300,000 buying your a lot more house and nicer house in Suwanee than buying in Johns Creek. Sure, the school in Suwanee is lower ranking than school in Johns Creek. But the difference is not that big difference. Many people would pick nicer house area. On the other hand, I know a lady at work who plan to sell her home in Suwanee because she wants the highest rank school possible for her kid.

Both areas are highly desirable. So you cannot go wrong with either choice.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:47 PM

9 posts, read 37,244 times
Default Where to buy a house

We are looking at subdivisions in Covington. We saw some beautiful areas there and very good value for the price. We cannot decide which sub division to chose. Suggestions anyone? We want 3 or 4 bedrooms and must have a basement.

Old 08-18-2007, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 35,339 times
Default RE:Confused where to buy a house

Houses in Alpharetta are higher cause they're essentially running out of land to build new houses. They're to the point where builders are cramming 4 or more houses per acre. Suwanee still has some growing room. Be sure to compare taxes as well. North Fulton taxes are the highest. I lived in Alpharetta and was paying over $7,500 in property taxes for a house that I bought for $400K in 2000.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:49 PM

65 posts, read 215,875 times
Suwanee is rated one of the best places to live in the area. I is growing very fast and still has the small community feel. I think you would be happy there. It is not in Fulton County where the taxes will eat you up. Gwinnett County is a very good place to be. You will be minutes from Lake Lanier and the Mall of Ga. area and anywhere in this area is a great location depending on where you are going to work. Let me know if I can be more help to you.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:56 PM

65 posts, read 215,875 times
Default Covington Homes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eraysha View Post
We are looking at subdivisions in Covington. We saw some beautiful areas there and very good value for the price. We cannot decide which sub division to chose. Suggestions anyone? We want 3 or 4 bedrooms and must have a basement.
It depends on what price range that you are looking at. You need to be more specific. There are plenty of new subdivisions that are being built and now is the time to buy! Builders are giving great packages and discounts and there is plenty of inventory in all areas of metro Atlanta. Let me know if I can be of help to you...

Old 08-28-2007, 05:13 PM

1 posts, read 6,017 times
Default Living on Lake Lanier

I have lived on Lake Lanier for 8 years and it is wonderful.. Except for summer weekends it is quiet enough to swim and kayak in the middle of the lake. I wouldn't trade it for a beautiful new home in an upscale subdivision. It is a lifestyle choice. There is no difference in bugs, except there do seem to be a lot of spider webs outside, especially around the dock. There is no problem with flooding, since it is an Army Corps of Engineers lake. I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have about Lake Lanier.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:11 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,872,549 times
You know also, if you can take the time to do it, many people suggest renting first in an area you're interested in. That way you can "test drive" the area. If it's not what you thought or hoped it was, you can rent in another area when your lease is up and try that area out as well (you can get as short as 3 month leases here in many places).

While that's not ideal and moving around a lot isn't something you look forward to, that's the best way to make 100% sure you'll like an area before you buy.

Old 08-28-2007, 09:28 PM

14 posts, read 57,537 times
Recent buyers went to Suwanee (Gwinnett) since taxes are nearly half of Duluth (Fulton). I lived in Suwanee for 7 years. Great schools, shopping, restaurants and access to highways. Suwanee has added so much green space and parks that the city center is covered with fun seekers at the variable water jets and amphitheatre. Duluth has some parts in Gwinnett. Duluth just lost the dountown theatre to Lawrenceville. Bad for Duluth, good for Lawrenceville. Great deals are in your price range due to buyers market. May try renting to get a feel before you buy, but for me, I go for the lower taxes.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:51 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,074,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
You know also, if you can take the time to do it, many people suggest renting first in an area you're interested in. That way you can "test drive" the area. If it's not what you thought or hoped it was, you can rent in another area when your lease is up and try that area out as well (you can get as short as 3 month leases here in many places).
That's what we did, and we also spent a few months driving around in different neighboorhoods to get a feel for where we might want to settle down.

It really helped to prepare us for real house hunting -- when we started that, we already had a very good idea about the areas we wanted to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta