Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 09:21 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
It means Marta can continue to operate in Johns Creek but because Marta has very limited funding the likelyhood of Johns Creek getting rail is extremely low and maybe some day Marta could completely disappear from Johns Creek. Something you will soon find out about Georgia is Georgia is very anti public transit (especially compared to Boston). Transit is very limited here and most of the counties refuse to participate in it, plus it doesn't receive any funding from anybody other then local tax payers (the only rail transit system in the US to do so). It is also hard to build transit here because the Atlanta region is very spread out so the density to properly support transit doesn't exist.
Another thing is that MARTA gets its funding from the fares they bring in and Federal funds, not state funds like some other transit agencies do. Governor Perdue has made it very clear in printed news interviews that he could care less about public transit and in his latest state budget has set aside no money (literally) for expanding it or helping it out.

So no, John's Creek will most likely never see a transit station unless there's a dramatic change in policy or the next governor is vastly different in their views. MARTA bus service will still be around limitedly though, and GRTA can still do express routes.

So you gain a very white(ish) yuppie area with less crime (if that's your thing), but lose other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 PM

595 posts, read 2,343,902 times
Where did Purdue say that?

And personally as a single person you couldn't pay me enough to move to John's Creek. It's clean, crime free and dull as hell.

Old 05-18-2007, 07:42 AM

2,290 posts, read 5,544,627 times
bostonbaby

I'm not sure why it hasn't been mentioned, so I will. The city of Atlanta and its southern suburbs are predominantly African American in population. And historically, because (and in response to) this the north side of the Atlanta metro area is predominantly White (compare Newton vs. Roxbury). The creation of this separation goes back hundreds of years; many White Georgians prefer to keep it that way, many Black Georgians now accept it, and a few Georgians of all backgrounds hope that it will go away for good.

Johns Creek, as you know, is one of the more exclusive northern Atlanta suburbs. Not diverse at all (and no intention to be), nice homes, well-to-do residents, peaceful, better schools. And on the subject of schools, you'll find that Georgia schools are significantly underachieving when compared to schools in Mass., New York, Connecticut, etc. This includes the "better" schools in north Fulton or Gwinnett counties. They're not "bad" schools at all; they're just better than most schools in the rest of the Atlanta metro area.

But one thing that you'll miss--as atlantagreg30127 and others have indicated--is the mass transporation. It's true that most Georgians don't like public transportation. Why? Again, think how easy it is to get from Roxbury to Newton. Well many residents of Johns Creek, Alpharetta, Forsyth County, etc., don't want something like the MBTA (the "T") because they believe it will invite the wrong people into those communities. It sounds kinda wrong, but that's pretty much the reality of things.

Great neighborhoods and a fine place to raise kids. And if that's your family's choice of living, you have a right to know as much as possible about the community.

Best wishes.

Last edited by backfist; 05-18-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 05-18-2007, 07:58 AM

985 posts, read 5,757,848 times
backfist, North Fulton wants the MARTA train. How many times do I have to say that? Don't lump North Fulton with Forsyth/Gwinnett/Cobb. They want MARTA to expand to Northpoint mall and further north. They are upset because MARTA had a plan to expand north but now get rid of that plan (in favor of beltline project).

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2007/04/29/0429nfxmarta.html (broken link)

It is Gwinnett and Cobb county which do not want the MARTA train. Actually, in Gwinnett, it is more rural East Gwinnett who do not want to MARTA train. If there is vote today, West Gwinnett will definitely support the train as well.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:02 AM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
jxu66 is right about west Gwinnett wanting the train. There is a study underway right now studying the feasibility of an expansion of rail to Gwinnett Place Mall ant there are leaders pushing for a new vote to approve Marta into Gwinnett.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vampgrrl View Post
Where did Purdue say that?

And personally as a single person you couldn't pay me enough to move to John's Creek. It's clean, crime free and dull as hell.
Here is 11Alive's article on what he said during his budget speech: http://www.11alive.com/news/article_news.aspx?storyid=90658 (broken link)

Here is the blurb that goes into it in case you don't wanna read the whole thing :-) :

"Most of the governor's proposed gridlock solutions involve improving or widening rural and urban surface streets, or interstate highways. But Democrats charge the governor has ignored a big piece of the puzzle -- mass transit. There is no state money earmarked for MARTA, or for commuter rail lines. The governor’s floor leader argued it is a question of expense and need.

“I have not seen any empirical evidence, again, personally, that would dictate that mass transit is a good expenditure of billions of dollars, ultimately, of taxpayer money,” said Rep. Rich Golick."

Old 05-18-2007, 03:38 PM

85 posts, read 587,010 times
Thanks guys, all this advice has been very interesting!
I got a little bit dissapointed though, in the maps Johns Creek doesn't seem to far away from the city action!
I guess we are going rural here ha ha!
HOnestly, I live 6 miles from downtown Boston, action, action action ! we have a T station next to our building.
Do you guys think I should look other places closer to the city? I do will love to have good education for our kids but I also like to do things and go out with hubbie!
GUYSSSS having a train close is SOO nice! I guess all this areas don't know what they are missing by not having a station close! here in Boston is the opposite way, we pay thousands just to have the privilige of the T next to our door!
How can someone oppose the expanding of this MARTA.. hellooooo gas is going to go over $4 dollars this year! they need more MARTA everywhere!
Anyway.. we may need to buy 2 cars.
Honestly after all this bla bla.. is Johns Creek to far away for a city couple like ourselves? when they compared to Newton in MA it sounded wonderful, but Newton now is basically "inside" the city , is this Johns Creek more like living in the burbs of Boston area?
Also.. I've been researching about Malls... so far a LENOX Mall is my favorite.. is this too far away from Johns Creek>.. this is my place to shop!
Another question: is this Johns Creek almos as rural as Peachtree city?..

Old 05-18-2007, 04:14 PM

1,088 posts, read 6,341,283 times
Johns Creek is a suburb, first and foremost. It is by no definition of the word, "in the city". If you live there you will need two cars. Not only does Marta not go into Johns Creek but it doesn't reach most of the destinations in the city that you will want to visit. You will have to drive, a lot. North Point and Perimeter malls are the closest to Johns Creek, Lenox and Phillips are a bit farther. Peachtree City and Johns Creek probably have similar housing densities but PT City is out in the middle of no where. There aren't any malls around, not a lot of shopping or entertainment. If you want to do anything other then going to a movie or getting some coffee you have to drive into Atlanta. Johns Creek is similar but at least there are malls nearby and a lot more people.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:19 PM

985 posts, read 5,757,848 times
Johns Creek is a suburb. If you like action, pick Buckhead, Brookhaven, even Dunwoody/Sandy Spring. Johns Creek is not for single or DINK folks.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxu66 View Post
Johns Creek is a suburb. If you like action, pick Buckhead, Brookhaven, even Dunwoody/Sandy Spring. Johns Creek is not for single or DINK folks.

LOL.. this is the first time in a long time I've heard anyone use DINK. I remember a while back a real estate agent team (husband/wife) I knew had an open house and I went to visit them during it. It was intown so a number of gay/lesbian couples were walking in to view it. When one set left I asked how sales were for homes like that compared to younger married straight couples, retirees, etc.

They replied, "Oh, real estate agents LOVE Dinks!" At first I thought that was a slanderous word and they laughed, "No no no.. DINK = Double Income No Kids". Two working adults, no kids to suck up extra money - lots more disposable income, etc.. more money to spend on a house, and more likely to buy in a neighborhood that is "turning around" since with no kids they don't care about the schools, etc. So "DINK" couples are more profitable and easier to sell to. I found out later that the DINKY word spilled over to the restaurant business, too. Waiters and waitresses will focus more on a DINK table because they tip better than people with kids do (kids leave a bigger mess, and most likely the folks are on a budget so tip less). Anyway - realtor slang 101 for anyone who saw that and was wondering what a DINK was. :-)

And it's been mentioned bostonbaby and I won't reopen the can of worms, but MARTA is still a racial thing here - they (native yuppies in the burbs) feel that if they allow rail within walking distance that "those people" from the inner city (fill in the blank) will spill into the neighborhood. That attitude is changing in some areas like Gwinnett where tons of transplants from other areas of the country are taking over the neighborhoods, but places like John's Creek still have tons of native southerners in them, so the racial tensions are stronger there than in other areas.

The verdict - if you like things to do, want to live near the train, but not quite "in" the city - aim for Brookhaven or Decatur. If you don't mind driving... a lot... then go for John's Creek or some other burby area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta