Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 01:39 PM

2 posts, read 10,952 times

Advertisements

Any tips out there from other moms that have done the private school observations in Atlanta? What do they ask of your child?

Old 01-04-2010, 01:45 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
Do you mean for the early grades or interviews for upper grades?

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM

2,240 posts, read 5,856,309 times
If you mean early grades, there's really not a lot to do. Make sure your child a) isn't sick the day of the observation (you can't make it up later), b) gets a good night's rest, and c) eats a good breakfast. Whatever you can do to ensure that he/she is in a good frame of mind that AM. If it's for K, they might ask him/her to do a little writing (numbers, letters) and identifying shapes, etc... They're mainly interested in how the child interacts with other children (social skills), and attentiveness, etc... during Circle Time. They don't generally tell the parents what they're doing back there, but that's the impression I got from my own kids and from talking with other parents.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 10,952 times
For Kindergarten....

Old 01-04-2010, 05:35 PM

3,972 posts, read 12,656,983 times
For K, CMMom has it pretty much nailed. I wouldn't sweat it.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:40 PM

4 posts, read 20,193 times
Not sure where you're located in Atlanta, but if you haven't checked out the Waldorf school, do your child a favor and visit them. They are located in Decatur. Both my grandson go there (9th grade and PK) and what a difference the school has made in their lives. My 15 year old has always been in a Waldorf school. Do a search and if you'd like more info let me know how to contact you and I'll have my daughter contact you. When it comes to a GREAT eduction, Waldorf is the greatest!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,792 times
I want through the process of private K observations for my three daughters. Everyone has great advice (good night's sleep, healthy breakfast), but I think the most important thing is not to get yourself stressed out because you child will pick up on that. Also, tell him/her that the main thing is that he/she should do is have fun playing with new "friends." A stiff, rehearsed child is going to appear anxious and unnatural.

Save up your anxiety for college applications- when it matters a whole lot more.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
Another simple tip is to let them dress comfortably. So many moms get their kids all dolled up and then they are unhappy in scratchy, new clothes. It really should just be pitched as a play date at a fun school. A reminder about good manners doesn't hurt, but don't go overboard!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:58 AM

16 posts, read 85,131 times
My son has completed 3 observations with 1 left to go. He doesn't mind it, but he hates my husband and I questioning him afterwards. We have now learned he is not even giving us the correct information. When asked which one of us would he like to accompany him next week, he said both so he didn't have to answer our questions.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:00 PM

168 posts, read 560,900 times
Varies from school to school. When we were applying, we did Pace, Paideia, Westminster, and Woodward. Pace is very thorough. They let K parents sit in on part of it. Kids went through stations. They did check to see if the kids could read, and a few could. Alphabet, counting, ordering pictures after hearing a story. Having the parents there helped the students feel comfy, but freaked some parents out when they saw what some other kids could do already.

Some schools seemed to mostly evaluate socialization, ability to focus, engagement with the teacher. I guess other skills were evaluated during a group activity. Paideia was like that.

OH! One tip: Several of the schools asked the kids their full names, addresses and maybe their phone numbers (not sure about the phone number, positive about the address). Pace definitely asked. There was a sheet about what they were expected to know, which most parents didn't see until they arrived. A lot of angst over that.

Still, other than that, there's really no training you should do other than letting the child know that they are going to play with nice people and kids and you'll be right outside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: