Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM

73 posts, read 165,415 times

Advertisements

Lets be honest. Moving sucks and is fraught with unexpected hurdles: schooling for kids,work environment,cultural issues,religious needs, commute to and from work, to mention a few. In this day and age being a Muslim is like having the plague. It just hurts that people start thinking the worst possible things about you just from your color and religious inclination. Can they be blamed? Is it the media's fault or are Muslims truely the ostracized/savage race belonging to a barbaric religion which believes in killing all 'infidel'? I think Blacks and Jewish people would understand the agony of over 99% Muslims who are being labelled unjustly for the acts of a few lunatics. I assume you folks get my drift. I started with this narative not to gain sympathy, as thats the last thing we want, but we expect understanding and logical people to see us as equals and who can look beyond what the media shoves down their throat.

Having said this people of different races and cultures feel more accepted if there are people aound who look like them. Atlanta is fortuantely one Southern city where diversity is not an issue. Different part of town, however, vary substantially when it comes to issues as fragile as racial diversification. The beauty about the US is its equality in treating people of all classes. However,this is not true, unfortunately, in the times we live in whether we believe it or not. That discussion would be beyond the scope of this thread. There are obvious and covert reasons for this reality known to all and more so to people who stick their heads to explore the reality.

People are all the same: same physiology, same anatomy and a generally peaceful thought process.This is what all religions teach. People who think Islam (or Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism etc for that matter) teaches otherwise are,well, unfortunate. Its the environment which moulds people into what they become in the future. Nurture a sapling and you will get a strong tree. Ignore it and the results can be disastrous.

Shifting gears:Now reason for my actual question and heres where I am going with this in simple terms: What would be a good area for a Muslim family from Pakistan ( I can feel people gasping already ) in South Atlanta where there are others of the same race,religion and color. And please don't tell me about how good or bad the North of Atlanta -Dunwoody, Lilburn, Alpharetta, Sandy Springs,Lawrenceville, Swanee,Marrieta, etc- is. Our dilemma is the job I have been offered is in the South of the city(riverdale/stockbridge/forest park area). Honest and positive feedback would make my day. I hope the length of the message doesn't offend anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 07:31 PM

4 posts, read 19,809 times
Which are you more worried about, your religion or ethnicity being different from the rest?
Let's be honest here. I don't think islam teaches that christians or jews should be treated the same as muslims. (If you think otherwise, i don't know what version of Quran you are reading.) Having said that I think a muslim living in south atlanta is much better off than a christian or jew living in Pakistan.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:43 PM

4,845 posts, read 6,116,562 times
Atlanta is like a progressive island in the middle of Georgia a conservative sea and the good thing is race, religion and etc issues are way better in real life here than present on these threads. The beauty about America is even that the beginning was so hypocritical but the standard was so high ALL men are created equal it’s actually came back to bit nay sayers and bigots in the butt. What I learn is people sometimes have assumptions about people of different backgrounds that some how they are out to get them, this is why you don’t generalize people. The irony is people play cold war, there nothing worse than stereotypes Vs stereotypes, If you catch my drift don’t assume that people have a prejudice view towards you, about people assuming you have prejudice view towards them. Atlanta was a large center for civil rights organizations during the civil rights movement and still is one most progressive cities in the south. So you should consider other issues like crime, commuting to work and etc. Atlanta is the city busy to hate!

Old 02-10-2010, 07:57 AM

242 posts, read 842,538 times
I live in Mcdonough Henry county and I would recommend Stockbridge, close to the Henry medical center ( also close to HW75) there is a lot of diversity there due to the pull of hospital and other medical facilities around that area.

Being from England, I am always on the look out for diversity because it is what I am used to. You can always measure the extent of diversity by going to you local Publix. Yes, I know it sounds funny, but Publix really zones into their local customers and caters to them. You will find a larger than usual Pakistan/Indian food isle and there are a lot of English folks in that area too so I always visit that Stockbridge Publix to get my English products.

Also, you may want to try Peachtree city I don't think it is extremely diverse but you may find people's attitudes are a bit more progressive.

There is a lot of self segregation here, unless you are in the heart of the city, so be aware that you will not find true diversity in the suburbs, unless it happened by accident.

Try not to be too paranoid and live freely. There are ignorant people out there and let's face it everyone has their prejudices.

Good luck

Old 02-10-2010, 04:50 PM

MXD.BRIT and chiatldl your input is very helpful. May I ask what the commute time from Decatur, Fayettville or Peachtree city to these locales might be?

Old 02-10-2010, 09:04 PM

5 posts, read 9,421 times
Default Midtown option

Hi - I am a mixed race (asian/white) male living in the Virginia Highlands and find the commute is pretty easy since it is reverse (about 20 - 30 min max each way 80+% of the time). There are some great elementary schools (Mary Lin, Springdale and Morningside) in this part of town and housing is more affordable these days. The area is pretty progressive and diverse (my neighbors are a young black couple on one side and a gay couple on the other, with a nice WM doctor two doors down). In any event, just another option.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:51 PM

vahibadger,
Your helpful tip makes me smile. I feared I ld be cursed for sounding too pessimistic about the southern suburbia and the schools in Henry County. Fear of the unknown can be impressive. I ld definitely be looking into this option. I have to research further as this would possibly be a permanent move for us as in my career one has to settle to get established and any help in this regard is much appreciated. Once again you have my sincere gratitude!

Old 02-12-2010, 05:09 PM

178 posts, read 618,642 times
I also used to live in McDonough in Henry County and I have to agree. It's split with diversity. Henry is growing rapidly and especially McDonough. I'm now in Marietta and not crazy about the area I'm in. I can't say diversity is huge here (My neighborhood is 95 percent hispanic). Anyway, your commute from 228-221 feels like a mini midtown.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:36 AM

'Commute from 228-221 feels like a mini midtown'?. Could you please elaborate.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:58 AM

169 posts, read 562,487 times
Moving to south Atlanta.... you should be afraid!! Most important thing, make sure you have a very powerful weapon for when you get assaulted, abducted, etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta