Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Should Georgia Cut The School Budget
Don't Cut The School Budget- Increase Taxes 21 50.00%
Cut The Days Of The School Year/Furlough Teachers 3 7.14%
Increase Class Size/ Close Schools/Lay Off Teachers 1 2.38%
Add 1 Hour A Day And Go To A 4 Day School Week 17 40.48%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 12:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 6,892,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I'm not saying we don't have talent here, but when we're constantly recruiting others from other countries, that says something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I agree that there's a message in such actions, but as someone who's been designing and writing software for corporate America over the past two decades plus, I suspect the message that I see is very different message from the one you see.
I'm in the same position as rcsteiner and I completely agree with him.

Corporate America hasn't a shred of commitment to keeping American software engineers employed. Nowadays, they don't have to bother with programs such as H1B in order to replace middle-income American employees with cheap foreign workers. They just outsource. I've worked for my employer for 20 years and I have no doubt they'd let me go tomorrow if I wasn't a top performer and better than the teams they're using in India and the Ukraine (as well as the people they laid off before hiring the outsourcers).

Meanwhile, management, who've been with the company far less long than I have, are trying to measure my "employee engagement". They must be kidding. I've got far more engagement with their business than they do.

Bitter much? Yes. I think this problem affects my whole industry, not just my firm. I love my job but I wouldn't recommend a young American go into software engineering, nowadays. I hope things change in future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 01:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
My high school sophomore is in the top 3% of her class and has been hoping to study at Georgia Tech. I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have to send her back to Canada to stay with grandparents in order for her to finish her high school education and be eligible for in-state (or in-province) tuition at a decent high school and university that aren't devastated by enormous budget cuts. Hoping this is an over-reaction but worrying it might not be....!

That would be an unfortunate situation, Rain. I hope that our state gets its act together so your daughter can finish up at Lassiter (my brother's and sister's alma mater!) and go on to Georgia Tech (my alma mater!)

Old 03-03-2010, 01:09 PM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,764 times
Quote:
Corporate America hasn't a shred of commitment to keeping American software engineers employed.
It's not just software engineers, it's graphic designers too. My husband has almost twenty years experience and he knows it's only a matter of time before his job will be outsourced as well. He's angry and bitter and I can't blame him. Of course, he has a fall-back plan, but no doubt our income will be cut yet again. It sucks that American workers were told when manufacturing jobs were outsourced to other countries that they should focus on "high-tech" fields, and now those jobs are being pulled out from under them too. Corporate America sucks great big hairy ones and has for some time now.

Old 03-03-2010, 01:11 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:

Bitter much? Yes. I think this problem affects my whole industry, not just my firm. I love my job but I wouldn't recommend a young American go into software engineering, nowadays. I hope things change in [the] future.

I say the same thing about the education field nowadays (for different reasons, of course). And I also hope things change in the future.

Old 03-03-2010, 02:48 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Going to Canada sounds like a pretty good choice right about now. At least that society HAS a commitment to helping each other out. If only the winters up there weren't so cold.

Quote:
My high school sophomore is in the top 3% of her class and has been hoping to study at Georgia Tech. I'm starting to wonder if we're going to have to send her back to Canada to stay with grandparents in order for her to finish her high school education and be eligible for in-state (or in-province) tuition at a decent high school and university that aren't devastated by enormous budget cuts. Hoping this is an over-reaction but worrying it might not be....!

Old 03-03-2010, 02:53 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
Interesting study by the Gates Foundation which is the wealthiest private foundation I believe and is focusing on education and health/medicine.

Local News | Gates Foundation survey: How 40,000 teachers would fix America's schools | Seattle Times Newspaper
Gates Foundation survey: How 40,000 teachers would fix America's schools

Old 03-03-2010, 07:00 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Going to Canada sounds like a pretty good choice right about now. At least that society HAS a commitment to helping each other out. If only the winters up there weren't so cold.
There's a 3000 mile border with many crossing points. I'm sure the helping taxpayers of Canada will welcome you with open arms.

Old 03-04-2010, 03:49 AM

3,573 posts, read 5,310,733 times
Man, you don't let up for a second do you? All I gotta say is...Whatever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
There's a 3000 mile border with many crossing points. I'm sure the helping taxpayers of Canada will welcome you with open arms.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 03-04-2010 at 04:17 AM..

Old 03-04-2010, 06:00 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,195,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
Man, you don't let up for a second do you? All I gotta say is...Whatever!
Just saying...you're the one who made the point that Canada is the solution and better than your country. If I felt that way, I'd be packing my bags and heading to the great white north. Whatever.

Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,048,359 times
The poster who said that is FROM Canada and if I recall has family there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Just saying...you're the one who made the point that Canada is the solution and better than your country. If I felt that way, I'd be packing my bags and heading to the great white north. Whatever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta