Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 05:21 AM

3,972 posts, read 12,675,118 times

Advertisements

Keep in mind, that many people are simply staying put. They don't want to move and take the hit on the decline in prices plus things aren't selling particularly well.

So there might not be much for sale.

Also, some economists are calling this a mancession and far more women have had to reenter the work force. So, there are fewer stay at home moms right now then even a year ago. However, since you have school age children and you join the PTA and get involved, you will find (I think) it realitively easy to meet people.

Several years ago, I had a neighbor who wanted to move to a different part of Metro Atlanta. They joined a church up there first (after shopping around for one they likes) and participated there for about a year and then moved. While the drive to the church wasn't easy all the time, they participated as much as they could. Once they were sure they could be comfortable socially, they took the plunge and moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2010, 07:10 AM

1,748 posts, read 5,531,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilycharm View Post
My "comfortable" price range is in the 500 - 650K price range. Possible we could work our way up to 700K.

It is interesting to me that as I look at home listings, there are several homes in the 400K range and almost nothing until you hit the mid 700s. Is there really nothing in the middle, or are those houses just not for sale?

Thank you again for your insight.
Here are some I like in the area and know families that llive there.

Carriage Park/Lakes (Tritt El) $400-500
Chimney Springs (Tritt) up to $450
Lost Forrest (Tritt) $400-600
Madison Hall $550-up
Northhampton (Mtn view EL) $400 and up
Kings Farm Murdock ($400-600)
Post Oak Communities (Murdock) $300-$400
Indian Hills (some Walton high school not sure about El) $300 plus

I've attached a list of the summer swim leagues in East Cobb. These subdivisions have swim teams which tend to attract families with young children.

http://prca.cobbcountyga.gov/SummerS...20proposed.pdf

I'll keep thinking about it and try to post more.

Old 03-21-2010, 10:40 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,062,792 times
I have to put my old neighborhood on the radar! Fields Pond! It's a smaller neighborhood (maybe 60 homes) swim/tennis with some very welcoming neighbors! I also had several friends that lived in Waterford Green, River Forrest, Talley Green, Atlanta Country Club...and several others that I cannot think of off the top of my head! There are plenty of great neighborhoods in the area, and I would think that going with a more established neighborhood would be the route to take.

Good luck on your search!

Old 03-23-2010, 09:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,486 times
I lived in East Cobb with my children from K-12, Mt Bethel, Dickerson, Walton. I was a stay at home single mom who worked when the kids were in school but arranged my days to be free for afterschool kid activities. Camden Place, Ashforde, Waterford Green are in your price range and have the swim tennis, neighborhood kid and parents parties. I sold my house in 1 1/2 yrs ago and have been watching the prices since. I sold for mid sixes and my neighbors have lowered prices and would possibly meet reasonable offers in the fives. A little lower but also good neighborhoods, Tally Green, New Bedford,
Fields Pond, Jacksons Creek, Hampton Lakes, Riversound, Hampton Woods.

Volunteer at the schools - Mt. Bethel was great for front office and media center. Great way to meet other parents and teachers and eat lunch with your child.
I also volunteered Dickerson front office and Walton Attendance office. The PTA's are so strong in those schools, you will meet many friends addressing monthly mailings. Also for your kids are all the sports teams,

East Hampton always has the possible rezoning problem. Dodgen Middle I think was getting more kids from there, but I would want to stay where you will be Walton High. My kids are both in college and thanks to Walton they were prepared. If you want to stay in an area you won't be rezoned ....keep to the area Lower Roswell Rd, Timber Ridge Rd, Upper Roswell Rd 120, Johnson Ferry Rd....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta