Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times

Advertisements

Perhaps the artificial turf is better these days but many careers have been ruined and shortened on turf. And who cares what the players think, a majority of them won't be on the team once the new stadium opens. Its the owners, fans and the city that have a vested interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Just a tad bit misleading. I did not see one quote from an actual Falcon. The Georgia Dome is considered one of the fastest fields out there, the backs and wide outs live to show their speed... I bet they do not want to play on grass. The big guys in the trenches probably do not care much, but I am gonna guess they like the no mud field they are playing on right now.

So, when this article says "the Falcons", what it really means is the folks in the front office. Those white shirted execs who want to have more luxury type seating (at a big money price). And they would like for the city to foot a chunk of the bill for a stadium that is not really needed. They toss around numbers that are staggering and have no intentions of footing the entire bill. I say build it, but do not ask me for one red cent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 PM

859 posts, read 2,120,300 times
Interesting article, but I'm still confused why the Falcons' brass aren't jumping on the retractable roof stadium idea. That would give them open air games and make the SEC and Chick-Fil-A happy as well. Rich McKay says that it would be too costly to have that type of stadium; I don't believe that. The falcons, according to the article are looking in the 360-512M range, well reliant stadium(retractable roof and home to the Houston Texans) was built for 350M albeit 2002 prices-even if you were to adjust for inflation it would still be a little less than 500M. You don't have to have the cowboys or colts huge stadiums and spend that type of money to win a superbowl bid.

Old 05-20-2010, 12:38 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
Question Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
Interesting article, but I'm still confused why the Falcons' brass aren't jumping on the retractable roof stadium idea. That would give them open air games and make the SEC and Chick-Fil-A happy as well. Rich McKay says that it would be too costly to have that type of stadium; I don't believe that. The falcons, according to the article are looking in the 360-512M range, well reliant stadium(retractable roof and home to the Houston Texans) was built for 350M albeit 2002 prices-even if you were to adjust for inflation it would still be a little less than 500M. You don't have to have the cowboys or colts huge stadiums and spend that type of money to win a superbowl bid.
Is it possible to make the current stadium (Georgia Dome) in enough time to not affect convention business and other large scale events?

Old 05-20-2010, 12:59 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,047,654 times
I am surprised by all the talk of we need a retractable roof or indoor stadium for football. I believe Seattle's Safeco field was the first baseball stadium with a retractable roof but even there they play football in open air (major college and pro).

If any field in Atlanta needed it for the comfort of the fans it would be the Braves here but they seem to be fine with open air and people still go to the games. An open air field will not cause fans to stay home. With our winters it will most likely cause more to go.

Old 05-20-2010, 01:44 PM

2,390 posts, read 4,405,317 times
How about just a new team

Old 05-20-2010, 01:50 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
We need a retractable roof for the HS graduations, battle of the bands, truck shows, etc, etc

Old 05-20-2010, 05:22 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noah View Post
I am surprised by all the talk of we need a retractable roof or indoor stadium for football. I believe Seattle's Safeco field was the first baseball stadium with a retractable roof but even there they play football in open air (major college and pro).

If any field in Atlanta needed it for the comfort of the fans it would be the Braves here but they seem to be fine with open air and people still go to the games. An open air field will not cause fans to stay home. With our winters it will most likely cause more to go.
Football is mostly a fall sport, not a winter sport and the weather is perfect in the fall in Atlanta. If the Packers can play outdoors in their harsh climate, surely the Falcons can as well.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:24 PM

606 posts, read 2,005,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I don't see why the Chick-Fil-A Bowl would want to play indoors. The Cotton Bowl in Dallas is played outdoors and they always have a good attendance. There are other bowls played north of Atlanta with colder climates that are played outdoors.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:02 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
As long as I dont have to pay for it they can have it open/closed ... underground....
I was thinking the same thing. I heard on the radio today that even if they get this open-air stadium that they will still need to keep the dome for superbowls, basketball games, and several other things that are not open-air. So they would have the dome and this new place. I think its a waste of time and money. But thats just me

Old 05-20-2010, 06:09 PM

23,463 posts, read 44,090,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Screw the Falcons. Until they bring this city a Super Bowl trophy they can go play on the downtown connector for all I care. Is anybody else still burned up about the Saints winning a Super Bowl before the Falcons? And all those people still walking around in Vick jerseys...
*snap*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta