Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 06:54 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times

Advertisements

Falcons prefer new open-air stadium, downtown *| ajc.com

http://atlanta.bizjournals.com/atlan...7/daily40.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
I read the articles.

My opinion...

1. Keep the dome--it is so useful/beneficial.

2. Go ahead and build the open-air stadium on the northside of the GWCC. Great for Falcons. Great for potential Major League Soccer Franchise. Great for future Super Bowl. Great for potential World Cup.

Old 05-19-2010, 09:21 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,911,846 times
This would be very interesting for the adjacent Vine City/English Avenue area due West of the Site along Northside Drive between MLK/Simpson aka Donnel Lee Hollowell Pkwy and Bankhead aka Joseph E. Boone Dr. Right north of that site is the the site of Herndon Homes which is being demolished (Will be complete by May of 2010) - once it is torn down — and housing market conditions are more favorable — the land will be shopped around to developers and non-profits for development.

I know GWCC and The Falcons would want to get their hands on that site If they want to build a new stadium and The Atlanta Housing Authority and HUD and city officials would raise a huge fuss if something isnt placed in and around that caters to replacing some of those residents right in that same site similiar to other mixed income developments that were former public housing sites. This is going to be interesting but I love the idea of the open air stadium and with a Major League Soccer Team and Think of the Open Air Concerts that can happen there as well!!! That would sweeten the deal...Good news for Atlanta overall If it goes through!

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 05-19-2010 at 09:30 PM..

Old 05-19-2010, 09:23 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,004,968 times
As long as I dont have to pay for it they can have it open/closed ... underground....

Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Screw the Falcons. Until they bring this city a Super Bowl trophy they can go play on the downtown connector for all I care. Is anybody else still burned up about the Saints winning a Super Bowl before the Falcons? And all those people still walking around in Vick jerseys...

Old 05-20-2010, 01:32 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Screw the Falcons. Until they bring this city a Super Bowl trophy they can go play on the downtown connector for all I care. Is anybody else still burned up about the Saints winning a Super Bowl before the Falcons? And all those people still walking around in Vick jerseys...
Maybe the Falcons should have been... better?

Old 05-20-2010, 03:51 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,038,821 times
Just a tad bit misleading. I did not see one quote from an actual Falcon. The Georgia Dome is considered one of the fastest fields out there, the backs and wide outs live to show their speed... I bet they do not want to play on grass. The big guys in the trenches probably do not care much, but I am gonna guess they like the no mud field they are playing on right now.

So, when this article says "the Falcons", what it really means is the folks in the front office. Those white shirted execs who want to have more luxury type seating (at a big money price). And they would like for the city to foot a chunk of the bill for a stadium that is not really needed. They toss around numbers that are staggering and have no intentions of footing the entire bill. I say build it, but do not ask me for one red cent.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:53 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawgfan View Post
Just a tad bit misleading. I did not see one quote from an actual Falcon. The Georgia Dome is considered one of the fastest fields out there, the backs and wide outs live to show their speed... I bet they do not want to play on grass. The big guys in the trenches probably do not care much, but I am gonna guess they like the no mud field they are playing on right now.
There's nothing to say that they couldn't have a synthetic field in an open-air stadium- in fact, they'd most likely do one anyway. The new Giants/Jets stadium is synthetic. Higher upfront cost, but much easier to maintain and to keep it consistent.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:05 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
They can't have synthetic if they want the World Cup. I suppose they could switch it up, but presumably that's expensive as well. I guess it would be a cost-benefits thing, it's been done before.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:33 AM

364 posts, read 717,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

I c/s the part about being mad the Saints won the Lombardi trophy before we did, I will admit I was pretty pissed. But regardless of that I ride or die for the team, doesnt matter if they win the Super Bowl or not-Thats still my team. And the part about the #7 jersey, I dont really see that. Matt Ryan is the man and I think most true Falcons fans think the same way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta