Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 07:59 PM

311 posts, read 844,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
All very true but with this part here then it wouldnt be apoint for the OP to move here trying to make it big. stick with the indie route hope for the best.
I mean indie or mainstream...the internet is only one part of making an artist successful and that's in terms of marketing and promotion. In terms of an artist starting out and distributing his music/merchandise to a diverse audience (besides Itunes and his/her website of course) that is where live performances and booking appropriate venues comes into play, so an artist would need to move to a major market(esp if he wants A&R attention). If I were a performer, I would pick the location that is in a major music market yet economical for me to create music AND live in...I mean I really think people urging artists to move to LA/NYC just to be close to "executives" need to expand their viewpoint esp since most artists these days can't even afford to live in these cities to begin with and they're not going to get automatic appointments with labels just because they move to these areas.......I could understand if he was an actor but he has a lil' more flexibility as a singer........and Atlanta is where alot of artists either started out, do their studio work (including collabos) or actually live like Usher, Monica, Cee-Lo, Keyshia Cole, Sleepy Brown, India Arie, Akon, The Dream, Keri Hilson, Elton John (lol I like to think some of songs are r&b since I play him so much), Dallas Austin, OutKast, Bangladesh, B.O.B, Ciara, Bobby Valentino, Babyface (T-pain resides in ATL as well), etc, etc, etc......... Since he wanted to choose between LA and ATL, I chose ATL just because of the economic value and plus with me PERSONALLY I'd rather move to a place where these type of artists work, party and live and not break the bank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2010, 09:15 PM

5,092 posts, read 8,849,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Our artist are way better than Texas artist.

I see Atlanta is the Hip Hop Capital, nobody has came in here and disputed the facts to those questions.
i'm not going to dispute that with you because that's not the topic of the thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:38 PM

128 posts, read 215,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaBison2007 View Post
I mean indie or mainstream...the internet is only one part of making an artist successful and that's in terms of marketing and promotion. In terms of an artist starting out and distributing his music/merchandise to a diverse audience (besides Itunes and his/her website of course) that is where live performances and booking appropriate venues comes into play, so an artist would need to move to a major market(esp if he wants A&R attention). If I were a performer, I would pick the location that is in a major music market yet economical for me to create music AND live in...I mean I really think people urging artists to move to LA/NYC just to be close to "executives" need to expand their viewpoint esp since most artists these days can't even afford to live in these cities to begin with and they're not going to get automatic appointments with labels just because they move to these areas.......I could understand if he was an actor but he has a lil' more flexibility as a singer........and Atlanta is where alot of artists either started out, do their studio work (including collabos) or actually live like Usher, Monica, Cee-Lo, Keyshia Cole, Sleepy Brown, India Arie, Akon, The Dream, Keri Hilson, Elton John (lol I like to think some of songs are r&b since I play him so much), Dallas Austin, OutKast, Bangladesh, B.O.B, Ciara, Bobby Valentino, Babyface (T-pain resides in ATL as well), etc, etc, etc......... Since he wanted to choose between LA and ATL, I chose ATL just because of the economic value and plus with me PERSONALLY I'd rather move to a place where these type of artists work, party and live and not break the bank
Dont tell me yall are STILL debating this.....

NYC will always be the "home" of hip hop b/c thats where it was birthed.....1980s bronx swagger. But as far as RnB in the 90s, most of that your gonna have to give to Atl. You can thank Bobby Brown for that. He started the attention down here, as well as LaFace Records. Even though LA Reid may be NYC based, it was Atl artists in the R&B world that dominated BET and the radio in the 90s, groups like Xscape, SWV, Jagged Edge, and many more.

As hip hop became a more marketable genre on the mainstream, then you eventually had Outkast, which is the highest grossing rap duo to date. Nowadays, nearly all the production of both hip-hop and r&b is done right in Midtown or East Atlanta at one of the several top star studios here in Atl.

However, the contracts and budgets still come from Europe VIA NYC. What makes Atl so attractive, is that Southern music is dominating right now. Due to the runaway success of "crunk" and "snap" rapping, Atl has gained worldwide recognition for its artists....even though non of tha would be possible with LA Reid and the NY team. It all goes hand in hand.

Also, Atl like NYC has a powerful underground music scene that would really surprise most people and their opinions on southern rap.

As far a buddy, the OP, wanting a place where he can blossom in the industry without 34 million other people getting in his way, Atl is his best bet. Atl is big, but the social network down here is quite small. Most industry kats here know each other, so hot music getting around the DJ circuits is not too hard, if u have the "right" connections and relationships.

The general atmosphere of Atl is conducive for music as well. Atl is a progressive minded city with all the southern spirit and community feeling that a newcomer might find hard to come by in such a large metropolis like the Tri State area.

Besides, dont forget that if a song doesnt have radio or club spins, its NO way anyone from any part of the industry at large is gonna even raise an eyebrow to notice OP's work. Here in Atl, were home to the LARGEST urban radio market by listeners in America. Its also not too hard to get a track spinning in your most popular clubs around town. Plus, there are many well know spots that host beat battles and open mics, such as Club Crucial, Apache, Scores in Decatur, Esso's, Motions, Club Cali in Marietta, Central Station in East Point, Insomnia in College Park, and many MANY more around town where buddy can get his work noticed or make valuable connections.

Old 05-25-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:

I see Atlanta is the Hip Hop Capital, nobody has came in here and disputed the facts to those questions.

Oh, and tony, as much as Im down for GA and all my artists that I mess with here in da A, Atl does NOT have better artists than Texas. Not EVEN by a long shot!!!!! lmao

You see, the only reason Atl is gettin its shine on is due to the connects back in NY that keep the spotlight on da A, because the A makes MARKETABLE music, in this music economy.

Now, just because an artist is MARKETABLE, does not by any means infer that he/she has a lick of talent.

R&B wise, its comparable, between GA and Texas. In Atl, you have SWV, Jagged Edge, Blackstreet, Xscape.......

In Texas, we have H-town, Silkk, Erykah Badu, oh, and the highest grossing girl group of all time......Destiny's Child.

As far as rap goes, Texas is such a big demographic with a massive home support, that artists can go platinum off of mixtapes alone within the state. Everyone may not like slowed down music like screwed stuff, but as far a talent goes, pound for pound, Texas will crush Atlanta with ease.....in my opinion anyway. I mean.....have you HEARD 107.9 lately!????

Mane look.....I dont know whose taking the payola to get theses kats on the air, but they need to be shot...how do u go from Outkast and Goodie Mob to freakin Yung LA and Soulja Boi as your cities' headlining acts!?

No....wait......I know how......lol....hehehe

But I wont spread mess online like that. Could ruin a career or two

But yeah I would not be so quick to downplay Texas artists so quick...that is b4 taking a look at the garbage thats on V103 and Hot107 today.

That is all.....carry on.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:43 AM

799 posts, read 1,095,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post

Oh, and tony, as much as Im down for GA and all my artists that I mess with here in da A, Atl does NOT have better artists than Texas. Not EVEN by a long shot!!!!! lmao

You see, the only reason Atl is gettin its shine on is due to the connects back in NY that keep the spotlight on da A, because the A makes MARKETABLE music, in this music economy.

Now, just because an artist is MARKETABLE, does not by any means infer that he/she has a lick of talent.

R&B wise, its comparable, between GA and Texas. In Atl, you have SWV, Jagged Edge, Blackstreet, Xscape.......

In Texas, we have H-town, Silkk, Erykah Badu, oh, and the highest grossing girl group of all time......Destiny's Child.

As far as rap goes, Texas is such a big demographic with a massive home support, that artists can go platinum off of mixtapes alone within the state. Everyone may not like slowed down music like screwed stuff, but as far a talent goes, pound for pound, Texas will crush Atlanta with ease.....in my opinion anyway. I mean.....have you HEARD 107.9 lately!????

Mane look.....I dont know whose taking the payola to get theses kats on the air, but they need to be shot...how do u go from Outkast and Goodie Mob to freakin Yung LA and Soulja Boi as your cities' headlining acts!?

No....wait......I know how......lol....hehehe

But I wont spread mess online like that. Could ruin a career or two

But yeah I would not be so quick to downplay Texas artists so quick...that is b4 taking a look at the garbage thats on V103 and Hot107 today.

That is all.....carry on.
That's how it is with most natives in the South. Most of ya'll need to watch The Dirty States Of America: The Untold Story of Southern Hip Hop. Soulja Boy is definitely a transplant(he just started claiming ATL when he got big!) Texas and Georgia Hip hop's scene are two different ballgame, that's like comparing broccoli and celery, Georgia is more crunk and trap(drug dealing music) based while Texas is Screwed and Car(Trunk thumping, bass heavy, slowed, and swanging music)

Old 05-27-2010, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodsofATL View Post
That's how it is with most natives in the South. Most of ya'll need to watch The Dirty States Of America: The Untold Story of Southern Hip Hop. Soulja Boy is definitely a transplant(he just started claiming ATL when he got big!) Texas and Georgia Hip hop's scene are two different ballgame, that's like comparing broccoli and celery, Georgia is more crunk and trap(drug dealing music) based while Texas is Screwed and Car(Trunk thumping, bass heavy, slowed, and swanging music)

I like how this man thinks........

Old 05-27-2010, 01:30 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,220,926 times
Quote:

Atlanta kills Texas as a whole when it comes to R&B, but I feel Texas kills Atlanta when it comes to hip hop. Just my opinion though.

Old 05-27-2010, 01:52 PM

16,702 posts, read 29,532,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
... but I feel Texas kills Atlanta when it comes to hip hop...

No.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
No.
Yes.....by a long shot. Are we really gonna compare Roscoe Dash or Yung La to UGK, Lil Keke, Fat Pat, Big Moe, Yungstar, Devin the Dude, Scarface, etc.....?
Cmon' Son

Old 05-28-2010, 07:57 AM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellomrwest View Post
Yes.....by a long shot. Are we really gonna compare Roscoe Dash or Yung La to UGK, Lil Keke, Fat Pat, Big Moe, Yungstar, Devin the Dude, Scarface, etc.....?
Cmon' Son
Well when you throw a third stringer in like Yung La or any other kid like him, then yeah, it seems like a kill. But I agree with aries: No, Houston does not have better rappers than Atlanta. They do have a lot of great ones though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta