Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 05:51 PM

88 posts, read 183,490 times

Advertisements

Tryska, answer to your question. Since locating to Cobb County 1999, I've pretty much lost my American dream. MY job was to paint houses & make people happy. (we all know whose painting houses now,... for NOTHING!!) The Cobb elected officials job was to be responsible w/ our tax money & protect her citizens property values & persons. While I was doing my job, the drug cartel was doing IT's job in the house next door to me! The people NOT being diligent to what Cobb County was quickly turning into was our elected oficials. So I wake up one day & realize the whole section of Cobb County west of I-75 turned into a run down 3rd world that caters primarily to its illegal citizens.
Gave away that house (that I loved!)
Made a quick move over tp Smyrna city 3 years ago in hopes I could regroup & recoup my loses, because, as we were told,... all these Smyrna projects were all about to take off! Well, 3 years later,.. Concord Rd. looks like a war torn county. Smyrna is becoming known as a forgotten wasteland of vacant lots & empty storefronts! Why should the people in Smyrna be paying HIGHER TAXES, than people in Vinigs & East Cobb, when to shop I must drive 4-8 miles leaving the city , & to find peaceful nature trails & serene senic bike rides, I first have to load bike on truck & drive 10 miles to a different pleasant city!!
And I hear the same drumbeat from long time Smyrna residents- "we like smyrna, rah rah rah"
Its called QUALITY OF LIFE, ART & ASTHETIC BEAUTY, MOVING YOUR CITY FORWARD, SOLVING TRAFFIC PROBLEMS, BRINGING JOBS & BUSINESSES TO YOUR COMMUNITY & lastly-- HOUSE & LAND VALUES-- these things are NON existant in the city of Smyrna,... & unfortunately for future generations,... the locals are letting pride get in the way of PROGRESS!
It makes me very bitter that I'm stuck w/ a house I can't sell in a city I don't want to be in!
And as a side note,... when the mayor holds office over 35 years,... there should be some accountability!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 07:25 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
Projects all seemed to be starting up again in Smyrna this year (aside from Jonquil Village). I have some pictures I just took this weekend :-)

* Belmont Hills is under development (corner Windy Hill / Atlanta Hill)
* West Haven has begun development again (stalled project of $600+ homes, near Cooper Lake. Newer homes will be less)
* Wakefield Estates off Atlanta Rd just South of Paces Ferry just sold out
* Homes behind Ivy Walk nearly sold out

And now the pictures!
* Stalled tudor style townhomes off Cooper Lake Rd / Atlanta Rd intersection, which was auction, is now owned by John Wieland and in the process of being finished.

* High-end shopping center with rooftop seating on corner of S. Cobb and Cumberland Parkway now under development
Yeah... just what we need. More $600K homes and snobbish yuppies moving in here. They already spoiled Vinings so now I guess they want the rest of the city too. I wonder when they will demand we raze Ken's Corner Grill and replace it with a sushi bar.....

Old 06-29-2010, 07:34 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Tryska, answer to your question. Since locating to Cobb County 1999, I've pretty much lost my American dream. MY job was to paint houses & make people happy. (we all know whose painting houses now,... for NOTHING!!) The Cobb elected officials job was to be responsible w/ our tax money & protect her citizens property values & persons. While I was doing my job, the drug cartel was doing IT's job in the house next door to me! The people NOT being diligent to what Cobb County was quickly turning into was our elected oficials. So I wake up one day & realize the whole section of Cobb County west of I-75 turned into a run down 3rd world that caters primarily to its illegal citizens.
Gave away that house (that I loved!)
Made a quick move over tp Smyrna city 3 years ago in hopes I could regroup & recoup my loses, because, as we were told,... all these Smyrna projects were all about to take off! Well, 3 years later,.. Concord Rd. looks like a war torn county. Smyrna is becoming known as a forgotten wasteland of vacant lots & empty storefronts! Why should the people in Smyrna be paying HIGHER TAXES, than people in Vinigs & East Cobb, when to shop I must drive 4-8 miles leaving the city , & to find peaceful nature trails & serene senic bike rides, I first have to load bike on truck & drive 10 miles to a different pleasant city!!
And I hear the same drumbeat from long time Smyrna residents- "we like smyrna, rah rah rah"
Its called QUALITY OF LIFE, ART & ASTHETIC BEAUTY, MOVING YOUR CITY FORWARD, SOLVING TRAFFIC PROBLEMS, BRINGING JOBS & BUSINESSES TO YOUR COMMUNITY & lastly-- HOUSE & LAND VALUES-- these things are NON existant in the city of Smyrna,... & unfortunately for future generations,... the locals are letting pride get in the way of PROGRESS!
It makes me very bitter that I'm stuck w/ a house I can't sell in a city I don't want to be in!
And as a side note,... when the mayor holds office over 35 years,... there should be some accountability!!
Concord Rd is BEAUTIFUL!

Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,557 times
You know - i still don't understand the math on housing prices.

Maybe i'm stupid, but I thought the days of signing up for ARMS is gone. Considering the volume of 600K subdivision housing just in Smyrna, and not counting that there are other areas building this type of construction, are their really enough people at that pricepoint to support this type of housing on conventional loans?

that's a 120K downpayment at 20% and even if i were being generous and say half of your gross takehome should go to housing - that would mean income would need to be $720,000 a year.

Are there really that many families bringing that in a year to support the housing they are building?

Bear in mind I have been wondering this since about 2000. Back then I could explain it away with stupid no money down ARMS - but since we all should be back in fixed rate world, it still makes no sense.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:02 AM

9,124 posts, read 36,371,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tryska View Post

that's a 120K downpayment at 20% and even if i were being generous and say half of your gross takehome should go to housing - that would mean income would need to be $720,000 a year.

Are there really that many families bringing that in a year to support the housing they are building?
Huh??? Assuming you bought a $600k house and put $120k down, you'd have a mortgage of $480k, which would be around $2,500-3,000/month, depending on your rate. With taxes, insurance, etc, you might be looking another $500/month. Even at $3,500/month, you'd be able to qualify for that with a gross income of around $12k/month using the 28% of gross pay= housing expense ratio that the mortgage companies use. That's less than $150k/year, which isn't hard to do, especially if husband and wife are both working.

Personally, I wouldn't got that high on $150k/year, as it might leave you strapped for other expenses, but there are plenty of folks who make that work.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:09 AM

1,979 posts, read 2,382,557 times
Darnit - you caught me - i was just coming on here to correct what I said! There was a tragic flaw in my math, and I forgot to amortize over 30 years. You're right - when i actually amortized it's much more reasonable. And yes - i would agree - roughly 150K..which with dual incomes not that bad at all - still tight - but inline with typical salaries.

I really should know by now not to try math until well after coffee and a shower.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:34 PM

168 posts, read 560,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ostriches View Post
Why should the people in Smyrna be paying HIGHER TAXES, than people in Vinigs & East Cobb, when to shop I must drive 4-8 miles leaving the city , & to find peaceful nature trails & serene senic bike rides, I first have to load bike on truck & drive 10 miles to a different pleasant city!!
Now you're starting to scare me. Last time I checked the Silver Comet Trail begins in Smyrna, no? Lined with trees, bridges, rivers, mill ruins? Or is that ugly too? I don't get it. Really losing credibility now.

Old 07-02-2010, 01:40 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,076,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windu View Post
Now you're starting to scare me. Last time I checked the Silver Comet Trail begins in Smyrna, no? Lined with trees, bridges, rivers, mill ruins? Or is that ugly too? I don't get it. Really losing credibility now.
It does, and it links with the Cumberland Connector:

Silver Comet Trail Cumberland Connector - Smyrna Bike Trail | Smyrna Vinings Homes, Neighborhoods, Restaurants, Shopping, Events - SmyrnaVinings.com
MapMyWalk.com | View Silver Comet Cumberland Connector in Smyrna, Georgia

and the Cumberland Connector takes you within spitting distance of the Chattahoochee River.

Here's a trail map (both existing and proposed) for Cobb County if anyone is interested:

http://dot.cobbcountyga.gov/document...tyTrailMap.pdf

and it looks like eventually there'll be several nice trails around the Smyrna area (and Vinings). I snipped the lower right corner of the above map to illustrate.
Attached Thumbnails
Smyrna is on a roll again (w/ pictures)-southest-cobb-trails.png  

Old 07-02-2010, 06:22 PM

88 posts, read 183,490 times
Its not the same, trust me. Silver Comet Trail is great for a workout,... if thats all your looking for. Its a straight shot,.. much very boring as you get out around the gas storage tanks in Powder Springs. Much of it feels unsafe in the secluded sections. I feel I have to carry, while I'm biking,
Arabia Mountain down by Stonecrest Mall was also built by P.A.T.H., but ther's so much to SEE as you ride through the rock out croppings, the waterfalls & the winding trails.
Then, what's also dif than the Silver Comet , @ the Roswell Greenway is the trail winds around, there are paths & mountain bike trails off the main trail,.. & Roswell has built nice wooden bridges & sight seeing stages for wildlife watching. Then as you get to the Alpharetta area there are more winding paths & interesting parks to stop & cool off @. You could also get off trail for a bite to eat in many areas. Going back towards Roswell, the trail along the Chatahoochee, though not secluded,.. if pretty & safe for single women. If you lived in Roswell, getting to these trails is easier on a bike than ever trying to get to the Silver Comet from Smyrna (unless you live @ trailhead).
Smyrna comes through & clearcuts everything, plants bermuda grass & calls it a park! There is nothing on that Brawner property that looks 'park-like. Instead in looks like a hospital or prison camp by day & airport runways w/ all the extreme lighting, @ nite.
And Intown, the PATH system is AWESOME as it winds all through Inman park neighborhoods over th Candler Park, 5 Points & Decatur. You can actually go from neighborhood to NEIGHBORHOOD along these pretty city paths!
(please ,... dont call Concord Road a PATH,... its a glorified SIDEWALK in a STRAIGHT LINE in the HOT blazing sun along a tree-less sidewalk,... going no-where??!!)-
Smyrna doen't have a clue how to leave something NATURAL, so people & wild animals can both roam around & enjoy together.

Old 07-04-2010, 10:43 AM

101 posts, read 294,626 times
Thanks for the update!
Quote:
Originally Posted by netdragon View Post
beanryboy: the developer had trouble getting funding over a year back to continue building due to the bad economy. We should know more by the end of the summer where that stands. At least temporarily, it suffered the same fate as many big metro Atlanta projects during the bad economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta