Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 3,607 times

Advertisements

Georgia Rejects University....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:12 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by critter31 View Post
Georgia Rejects University....
Too late.. Somebody used the phrase several months ago....

Old 11-01-2012, 03:48 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
I think its a bold plan, I just don't want a city like Atlanta to absorb and eventually become home for the main campus. I think small campus are ok but nothing too big needs to be built outside Augusta.

Azziz looks for even bigger statewide consolidated university by 2030 | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 11-02-2012, 08:46 PM

472 posts, read 809,660 times
Regarding the ASU-GHSU merger, I would really wish they would just keep the GHSU name. The name has already been changed once from the long established MCG. GHSU was a name that was becoming recognized internationally. Now, that name has to start from scratch as "Georgia Regents University"

I know Augusta residence really want Augusta in the title, but the fact is "Augusta" doesn't carry as much weight as "Georgia" among health professionals and physician scientists across the globe.

"Regents" carries even less weight than "Augusta" does.

It's all a mess.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:45 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,388,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post
Regarding the ASU-GHSU merger, I would really wish they would just keep the GHSU name. The name has already been changed once from the long established MCG. GHSU was a name that was becoming recognized internationally. Now, that name has to start from scratch as "Georgia Regents University"

I know Augusta residence really want Augusta in the title, but the fact is "Augusta" doesn't carry as much weight as "Georgia" among health professionals and physician scientists across the globe.

It's all a mess.
All the name they came up with is jake up.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:11 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dichloromethane View Post

It's all a mess.
But GHSU won't really describe the new university. The goal is to be a comprehensive university so it needs a name that won't pigeonhole it. And really GHSU hasn't been around that long so it's not too late to change it.

I think University of Augusta would be fine. Augusta is known because of The Masters and it would just require marketing. Besides University of Augusta sounds better than Georgia Regents University. That latter sounds like some diploma mill. Other than that I'd go with Georgia A&M (Arts and Medical). It would break with A&M naming tradition but I'd wing it and do a marketing campaign to educate the public.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:23 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,133,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpatt.marine1 View Post
I think its a bold plan, I just don't want a city like Atlanta to absorb and eventually become home for the main campus. I think small campus are ok but nothing too big needs to be built outside Augusta.

Azziz looks for even bigger statewide consolidated university by 2030 | The Augusta Chronicle
That guy Azziz is nuts. He already has his hands full trying to bring up ASU from a teaching faculty to research level and develop a Division I sports program. And he also wants 8 branch campuses across the state including Atlanta? So where's the money going to come from? GHSU is ok financially but it's not flush with money. And he expects to get land for campuses across the state and build on them over the objections of local colleges and universities. Is the BOR ok with this? Is UGA ok with this? I think Azziz's ambitions are beyond what is realistic.

Maybe Azziz is ok with a compromise of Georgia Regents University Augusta because he wants there to be
Georgia Regents University Atlanta
Georgia Regents University Savannah
Georgia Regents University Macon
Georgia Regents University Rome
Georgia Regents University Columbus
Georgia Regents University Athens (so to block UGA)
Georgia Regents University Albany
Georgia Regents University West Georgia

Just making some guesses above.

Old 11-03-2012, 03:57 PM

937 posts, read 1,801,133 times
I like the idea. Even though USC has smaller branches the difference between the Columbia campus compared to the other are like night and day. The only I don't want is for augusta to be in the shadows of Atlanta. After all everyone knows Atlanta doesn't need georgia or azziz to survive.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:59 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All4Augusta View Post
I like the idea. Even though USC has smaller branches the difference between the Columbia campus compared to the other are like night and day. The only I don't want is for augusta to be in the shadows of Atlanta. After all everyone knows Atlanta doesn't need georgia or azziz to survive.
UNC has the same setup (main campus in Chapel Hill, along with UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Wilmington, etc.), but the difference here is that this is the state's flagship university that has branches all across the state, and they were established at a time when there weren't as many options for higher ed in those cities. I don't understand such a rationale in 2012.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:53 PM

1,327 posts, read 1,912,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
UNC has the same setup (main campus in Chapel Hill, along with UNC-Greensboro, UNC-Charlotte, UNC-Wilmington, etc.), but the difference here is that this is the state's flagship university that has branches all across the state, and they were established at a time when there weren't as many options for higher ed in those cities. I don't understand such a rationale in 2012.
The only way this could possibly work would be to just branch out the medical school. Georgia after all could use more hospitals especially in southwest Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area