Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 05:11 PM

6,479 posts, read 7,165,723 times

Advertisements

More road construction projects on the horizon in Columbia County
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Aiken County is one of 11 counties that could be affected by an interstate widening project. According to the South Carolina Department of Transportation, additional state funding is allowing for 100 miles of capacity upgrades to interstates. The Aiken County section will affect Interstate 20 from near the Georgia line to near Exit 1.

The DOT is also seeking input on more than 40 bridge projects, six of which are in Aiken County. The bridges have been deemed structurally deficient and are candidates for replacement based on statewide ranking criteria. The include the S-980 and abandoned railroad bridges on east and westbound Interstate 20, S.C. Highway 19 and South Edisto River bridges on westbound Interstate 20, and Shaws Creek and Big Horse Creek bridges on U.S. Highway 1.
South Carolina seeking public input on transportation projects | The Augusta Chronicle

Old 01-13-2017, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Those bridges are I-20 EB S-980 & abandoned railroad (over Gregory Road), I-20 WB S-980 & abandoned railroad (over Gregory Road), I-20 WB SC 19 (over Edgefield Hwy), I-20 WB South Edisto River (over South Edisto Eiver), and I-20 WB abandoned railroad (near Bergen Road).

Designing of the bridges will begin in February, but DOT is asking for public comment on the proposed construction budget.

Public comment will go through January 30th. Once public comment concludes, they will release a revised schedule and construction dates.
Bridge replacements coming in Aiken County

Old 01-16-2017, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Which is why the county is investing more than a million dollars to widen Fury's Ferry Road. In April, the county made plans for phase one of the project that includes widening the road from two to five lanes as well as adding a roundabout where Fury's Ferry meets Hardy McManus. As one phase ends, the second begins to approve the $1.3 million dollar project.

"I mean, it's a good thing, but it's a bad thing because they're invading into people's yards," said Pryor.

A necessary evil, similar to the widening project at Riverwatch Parkway.

"I feel like if I had a smaller backyard it really would, but for the most part, on that side it's just trees," said Beyersdoerfer.

But Beyersdoerfer says, it's a small price to pay if it makes this road safer.
Project to widen Fury's Ferry Road moving forward

Old 01-17-2017, 06:10 AM

1,157 posts, read 1,412,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
Surely that $1.3 million figure isn't right? Widening from two to 5 lanes AND a roundabout? Seems like that kind of money would only pay for like 75 feet of a 5 lane road and about 1/4 of a roundabout.

Old 01-17-2017, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU_Minion View Post
Surely that $1.3 million figure isn't right? Widening from two to 5 lanes AND a roundabout? Seems like that kind of money would only pay for like 75 feet of a 5 lane road and about 1/4 of a roundabout.
I agree, in the concept report I've read about this project the total cost was $50 million. This $1.3 million figure must be for right-of-way acquisition and preliminary engineering.

Old 01-17-2017, 10:45 AM

212 posts, read 239,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforceguy View Post
I agree, in the concept report I've read about this project the total cost was $50 million. This $1.3 million figure must be for right-of-way acquisition and preliminary engineering.
That sounds right

Old 01-17-2017, 06:54 PM

568 posts, read 698,674 times
I wonder what the lighting will cost?

Old 01-20-2017, 04:31 PM

Quote:
GDOT is starting an I-20 concrete pavement replacement project Monday morning.

The work for the $8.28 million project will take place between mile 194 to mile 172.

If weather allows, crews will shut down the right hand westbound lane at Exit 194 and carry the closure two miles downstream to mile 192.

Please be aware of traffic control and expected delays. Predicted wet weather could delay the start of the early week work.

Crews will move throughout the project area eastbound and westbound, closing no more than two miles at a time in either direction. Extended lane closures should be expected for construction activities.

The official completion date is August 31, 2017.
I-20 concrete pavement replacement beginning

Old 01-27-2017, 04:39 PM

Work on the Butt Bridge should be open in two months...
Quote:
The historic bridge closed to traffic in November. The $2 million project, which is funded by the Georgia Transportation Investment Act, includes replacingof the bridge decking, adding bike lanes to both sides of the road, and restoring or replacing some of the historical elements, including the lighting.

The water in the canal was initially lowered to allow contractors to work on the underside of the bridge. Construction engineer Anthony Taylor said that work is already completed on the underside and that contractors are now working on the deck replacement and finishing the sidewalk.

Everything has run fairly smoothly and on schedule, he said. Taylor hopes the work on the road will be completed in time for the Masters Tournament, but other finishing touches, such as upgrading or restoring some of the historical elements, might continue into the summer.

“It will be open where they (travelers) can use it, but it will still be under construction,” he said.
Work on Butt Bridge to end in two months | The Augusta Chronicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area