Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 09:24 PM

68 posts, read 516,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgustaSucks View Post
Downtown business owners have been saying for years that they need more police in the district.. so that people will feel safe..and to combat the property crime downtown.. but steadily since 1996 the police presence in downtown has been reduced.. Augusta police are among the lowest paid of any city in Georgia over 50,000 in population. Downtown business owners have been asking for years for improved lighting.. and it still hasn't happened. Instead millions are wasted on pork barrel project like a golf hall of fame that was never built. and hardly anyone has ever visited, yet no one can explain what happened to over $20 million in tax dollars.. I guess Augusta got the most expensive brick wall in the world aside from The Great Wall of China. .
I remember seeing that brick wall with grass and a sidewalk for the first time as a friend and I were walking along the river....we had no idea what the hell it was. Our best guess was a dog park or rose garden.... who would have thought it was an empty golf hall of fame?
thanks, I needed a good laugh before bed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2008, 10:16 PM

1,072 posts, read 2,035,971 times
It's funny that you mention a dog park.. actually many dog owners have been using it as an unoffical dog park.. heck no-one else uses it.. and there is no dog park in Augusta.. But there was a proposal to make it officially a dog park one day out of the week... one day out of the week. Well as usual, the idiots on the commission had a fit. "A dog Park??".. "That copuld pose a health problem." "People could get hurt" "It will be pure mayhem." Never mind that cities big and small all over the country have successful, well-used and patrolled dog parks.. but the brain trust called the Augusta commission didn't know what a dog park actually is.. so of course it must be BAD... typical Augusta reactionism. Then you have the usual suspects who write the letters to the editor claiming all of the horrors a dog park wpould create. Of course this was only proposed to be a temporary dog park.. with plans to build a more permanent park.. It's not that hard to do folks.. you simply fence in an open area...make a double gate so dogs can't get out while others are entering.. and post a set of guidelines of conduct in the park.. and pretty much the dogowners police the park.. and this works in hundreds of communities across America.. But in Augusta.. this foreign concept of a "dog Park" must be the spawn of Satan.. or worse yet, Yankees! Oh my. So in typical Augusta fashion, the dog park idea was nixed...and the people who have taken up residence in downtown Augusta lofts and condos still have no place to take their dogs to play and socialize off leash. It would seem to me that a dog park would be a nice amenity to market to potential downtown residents.. it certainly has been so for other communities. But we are talking about Augusta.. which is its own little backward world.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:27 PM
PJA

2,462 posts, read 3,178,200 times
First of all they didn't vote against the dog park just the location. Again get your facts straight.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:35 PM
PJA

I don't have incomplete results. Augusta's violent crime is lower than all of the other MSA's. That's a fact form the FBI statistics. If you have problem dispute it with them.

Old 04-17-2008, 02:56 PM

sorry.. But once again you are wrong.. Athens has the lowest violent crime rate of any metro area in Georgia over 100,000 ppl. And I never said Augusta had the highest violent crime rate in Georgia.. it's doesn't (BUt then then again no one really knows the truth as Augusta doesn't report its numbers to the FBI)..BUt according the the numbers provided by Augusta's own sheriff's dept website Augusta has the highest rape rate of any MSA in Georgia. I have provided links to the FBI data tables.. you have not.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:16 PM

78 posts, read 99,918 times
Quote:
sorry.. But once again you are wrong.. Athens has the lowest violent crime rate of any metro area in Georgia over 100,000 ppl. And I never said Augusta had the highest violent crime rate in Georgia.. it's doesn't (BUt then then again no one really knows the truth as Augusta doesn't report its numbers to the FBI)..BUt according the the numbers provided by Augusta's own sheriff's dept website Augusta has the highest rape rate of any MSA in Georgia. I have provided links to the FBI data tables.. you have not.
Same bitter post about augusta everytime.

Old 04-17-2008, 04:37 PM
PJA

Quote:

I said out of the five major metros, Atlanta and the second tier metros. And I gave the link to the site, if you looked around you would have found all of the info you needed. But since you didn't here is the exact table.

Table 6 - Crime in the United States 2006 (http://www.fbi.gov/ucr/cius2006/data/table_06.html - broken link)

Old 04-19-2008, 06:55 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
Augusta is far from a huge city!

Old 04-19-2008, 09:10 AM

I suppose Augusta, GA is a huge city if you are comparing it to a place like PUmpkin Center.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:10 AM

511 posts, read 2,477,421 times
LOL! So if Augusta is a huge city what does that make Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area