Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2019, 07:04 PM

2 posts, read 3,994 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I checked previous threads but did not see any comments regarding living on a boat on Clarks Hill Lake or Lake Sinclair. I am considering a short term (couple of years) work project there and don't really want to invest in a home when I know I'll be moving in a few years. With that in mind I thought about renting/buying a houseboat and simply living in a marina for the time.

All Internet sites on houseboats on the lakes down there are old or they definitively say no houseboats allowed. I did find a 2008 reference that spoke of an upcoming referendum to consider banning houseboats and all sailboats that had a galley or bed or toilet on Lake Sinclair. I do not know the outcome or if all the lakes down there have banned houseboats.

I am a low maintenance /outdoorsy kind of person who prefers composting toilets to septic tanks and solar energy to generated electricity - another reason I am resisting buying a home there.

If this is possible to do, any tips on the who, what, where, and how to would be helpful. I can live anywhere between Greensboro and Augusta to south around Milledgeville.

Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2019, 05:20 AM

17 posts, read 20,593 times
Seems like a neat idea and I’ve been in other places where liveaboard houseboats were popular.

Sinclair doesn’t allow boats with heads and galleys, and I believe there’s a size limitation of 30 feet in length:

FAQs | Georgia Power Lakes

I have seen a houseboat here, and 1-2 larger boats, but I think they’re grandfathered in, prior to the regulations taking effect.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:00 PM

423 posts, read 448,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAlakecountry View Post
Seems like a neat idea and I’ve been in other places where liveaboard houseboats were popular.

Sinclair doesn’t allow boats with heads and galleys, and I believe there’s a size limitation of 30 feet in length:

FAQs | Georgia Power Lakes

I have seen a houseboat here, and 1-2 larger boats, but I think they’re grandfathered in, prior to the regulations taking effect.
Hmmm I am not going to do it as I lack the money to do it but I am curios if someone could simply buy 2 houseboats and join them together to essentially create a large one?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area