Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2009, 07:04 AM

10 posts, read 20,084 times

Advertisements

I have agreat Job oppurtunity out at SRS and my wife and I may be moving to the Augusta area from Washington DC. Thinkning we will end up in the Evans area (We have friends that just moved there within th epast month and have done alot of the research for us).

One of the concerns we have coming from DC is the amout of "entertainment" options. Coming from here we have the Kennedy Center and dozens o fother theaters and perfomance venues to see broadway shows or other acts. What does Augusta have in this area? Or do we need to drive to Atlanta to see shows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2009, 08:29 AM

215 posts, read 481,680 times
Atlanta is going to be for MAJOR entertainment, but Augusta is currently discussing plans to revitalize downtown to include several entertainment options. Such as a Theater district (currently one major theater downtown), pedestrian walks, more shops, etc.

Currently the river is a major attraction in Augusta (the riverwalk is also downtown), Civic Center (a few shows, etc every year), Newly added onto mall, The Augusta Exchance (movie theater, target, best buy, etc), Evans specifically just got Mullin's Crossing which is similar to the Augusta Exchange,

Most of the entertainment is closer to downtown in Richmond county, but Evans is the newer "hot spot" to live. That is due to land, etc though. It's all up to you and what you like.

Different types of homes in Evans as well (newer)

Old 03-01-2009, 07:15 AM

16 posts, read 44,233 times
We have first friday downtown. I have been in Augusta Since September 2008. THis year i plan to catch more local sporting events like local football, the Minor League Basketball team, The Paine College basketball team, And maybe even Augusta State Basketball Games.Augusta Needs to build another mixed night club that caters to everyone. A nice sophistacated spot thats large enough to hold more than 500 people at one time.

Old 03-01-2009, 08:26 AM

349 posts, read 1,005,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amueller View Post
I have agreat Job oppurtunity out at SRS and my wife and I may be moving to the Augusta area from Washington DC. Thinkning we will end up in the Evans area (We have friends that just moved there within th epast month and have done alot of the research for us).

One of the concerns we have coming from DC is the amout of "entertainment" options. Coming from here we have the Kennedy Center and dozens o fother theaters and perfomance venues to see broadway shows or other acts. What does Augusta have in this area? Or do we need to drive to Atlanta to see shows?

You wouldn't have to drive to Atlanta that much. Ppl from Augusta don't ride to Atlanta like they use too. Columbia, sc is only a hour away. And ppl don't ride their like they did before either. Augusta has step up in the last couple of year's. In a diffrent number of ways. You can see broadway shows or other acts at the Imperial and the Bell.

Here are two show's that will be coming to the bell.

Divine Performing Arts presents 2009 World Tour Mar 13 at 6:30 p.m.

Lord of the Dance Apr 14 at 7:30 p.m

And like the poster said before me. We have first friday downtown which would remind you of being in Atlanta or D.C. The next one is this friday.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:49 PM

194 posts, read 529,901 times
Nice place in Evans
[SIZE=3]Riverwood Plantation - A 3800 acre master planned community in ...[/SIZE]

Old 03-01-2009, 02:10 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,861,057 times
Even Atlanta is not going to compare with Washington, DC when it comes to culture and entertainment.. that is simply a fact.. so you should lower your expectations for Augusta. I mean you really can't compare Augusta to Washington in that regard.. but Augusta is going to offer the kind of entertainment options you might expect from a medium sized Southern city. Unfortunately the Opera just cancelled its season and may fold ( or may just turn into an organization that hosts visiting opera companies for a few shows a year).. a southern city the size of Augusta even having its own opera company was rather impressive to begin with, but still its a loss. Unfortunately, the local ballet company also folded.. they basically host ballet companies from other cities for a cpl of shows a year (this is probably what the opra company will do). Augusta does have a very good symphiny, which as far as I know is doing just fine. Hopefully Augusta will get around to building a Performing Arts Center (sort of our version of The Kennedy Center.. just on a smaller scale).. this would improve culture and entertainment options tremendously.
Augusta is actually developing a rather lively live music scene with venues like Sky City, 1102, among others... it's not Austin, TX but its much better than it used to be, and there is always a pretty good band to see.
As someone else pointed out for MAJOR acts and entertainment, you will have to drive to Atlanta, maybe sometimes Charlotte (both cities are about the same distance).. occassionaly major acts will play Columbia, SC which is only an hour away.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:34 AM

1,303 posts, read 3,861,057 times
As far as Broadway shows... Augusta does get them on occassion. Mama Mia had a 3 day stint at the Bell Auditorium back in January. But Augusta may get ONE big Broadway musical a year..and they are usually ones that have already run for many, many years. Augusta may get Wicked in 2013 or so.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:22 PM

267 posts, read 726,495 times
Funds for the miller theatre are in splost. So Augusta theatre distirct is moving forward.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
View detailed profiles of: