Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times

Advertisements

Do you think I-20 is being overdeveloped at once? With the construction on the widening, spaghetti junction, rentention loops, new exits, half diamond, and new overpasses. Along with projects like doctor's hospital new building, knology, highland ridge, wheeler office park, WTP, ADP, hotels on washington/claussen etc. Being built off near the interstate. Or is I-20 fine like it is. Or does the interstate need more construction in your opinion. I didn't named any of the projects being built in Aiken, Mcduffie, and Columbia county off I-20. I didn't name village at riverwatch either. Even though its on I-20 and in richmond county. Because it doesn't haven't construction going on like the other's I named above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 02:43 PM

267 posts, read 725,616 times
I live in North Augusta. When I ride down I-20 I see more than enough construction. Palmetto pkwy 520 on sc side is still being constructed on. It will connect with 20 in Aiken county. The interstate construction in the city is very dangerous. Augusta isn't big enough for all this at once. Look at gadot website. List of major projects going on in georgia. There are 8-10 of them. All in metro Atlanta except for one. One of them is in metro Augusta. At the 20/520 interchange in richmond county. Was Augusta traffic so bad that it needed a 200 million dollar interchange system. If you add the cost of the widening, the walton way overpass that was built, and the new exits, half diamond, retention loops. That cost will be close to 300 million. The palmetto pkwy is only costing 220 or 230 million. And its all brand new miles of interstate.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:41 PM

215 posts, read 601,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolo2 View Post
I live in North Augusta. When I ride down I-20 I see more than enough construction. Palmetto pkwy 520 on sc side is still being constructed on. It will connect with 20 in Aiken county. The interstate construction in the city is very dangerous. Augusta isn't big enough for all this at once. Look at gadot website. List of major projects going on in georgia. There are 8-10 of them. All in metro Atlanta except for one. One of them is in metro Augusta. At the 20/520 interchange in richmond county. Was Augusta traffic so bad that it needed a 200 million dollar interchange system. If you add the cost of the widening, the walton way overpass that was built, and the new exits, half diamond, retention loops. That cost will be close to 300 million. The palmetto pkwy is only costing 220 or 230 million. And its all brand new miles of interstate.
Why not be happy the only major projects are in ATL -AUG. Macon I-75/I-16 similar to I-20/520 in Augusta. Got push backed into 2015- 2016. Dot doesn't have alot of money. So be happy they chose Augusta. And recognized its growing. Same thing with the downtown connector dot is building in downtown Augusta. The St. sebastian way flyover. Be happy they chose to spend 40 million in our downtown.

Old 03-16-2009, 03:58 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times
Actually it got pushed back to 2018. 320 million to build it in Macon. Augusta's will be completed next year. So i don't know why they push it back so far.

[SIZE=3]I-75/I-16 interchange project pushed back to 2018 - Local & State ...[/SIZE]

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-16-2009 at 04:07 PM..

Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM

841 posts, read 1,401,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post
Actually it got pushed back to 2018. 320 million to build it in Macon. Augusta's will be completed next year. So i don't know why they push it back so far.

[SIZE=3]I-75/I-16 interchange project pushed back to 2018 - Local & State ...[/SIZE]
Maybe because they are currently reconstructing I-75/475 interchange which be completed soon and three-year renovation of the stretch of Interstate 75 from Pierce Avenue to Arkwright Road widening I-75 to 6 lanes reconstructing exits and bridges which starts in august.
Pierce to Arkwright exits to get huge, 3-year renovation - Local & State - Macon
Group plans challenge over I-75 project along Riverside Drive in Macon - Local & State - Macon (http://www.macon.com/198/story/651474.html - broken link)

Old 03-16-2009, 09:51 PM

220 posts, read 622,493 times
Any big growth in downtown Im all for. Saint sebastian is a friend of mine.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:44 PM

349 posts, read 1,004,273 times
I-20 is a interstate. Why wouldn't it be able to handle growth? Dot is 20% ahead of schedule. The developer behind the Augusta forum. Can't start construction until the widening is done. Gdot built the walton way overpass and on/off ramps for walton way ext. Then close the on ramp a couple of months later. The widening will be done in September 2009. The interchange July 2010.

Old 03-19-2009, 01:36 PM

935 posts, read 1,648,778 times
When you get right down to it, the I20 work is basically straightening out (at todays' standards) a really bad engineering day in the original design intersecting I520, and taking out a dip (another design flaw) that actually puddled water on the surface of I20. Walton Way exit (is that Walton Way ?) was thrown in for commerce.

Augusta is not really growing like the title might suggest, IMHO.

While into these corrections, i suppose they mighta added a lane from the parkway to I520.

Last edited by burr; 03-19-2009 at 01:44 PM..

Old 03-19-2009, 09:43 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
When you get right down to it, the I20 work is basically straightening out (at todays' standards) a really bad engineering day in the original design intersecting I520, and taking out a dip (another design flaw) that actually puddled water on the surface of I20. Walton Way exit (is that Walton Way ?) was thrown in for commerce.

Augusta is not really growing like the title might suggest, IMHO.

While into these corrections, i suppose they mighta added a lane from the parkway to I520.
I tend to agree with what you are saying. You cannot exatrapolate too much from road construction as and indication that a city is seeing a growth explosion. I would say that growth has been pretty steady and stable. I don't see any sudden, huge growth spurt in Augusta in regards to commerce and population. If you look over the years, Augusta has always been getting new restaurants, new shopping centers, etc. What has changed is that finally the roads are beginning to catch up with the last 25 years of growth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area