Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 PM

543 posts, read 1,318,156 times

Advertisements

I feel the Regal 20 is the catalyst of the Augusta Exchange development. I feel if a theatre was built in Hephzibah there would be a whole new rush of development. Tobacco Rd, Peach Orchard Rd, Windsor Springs and Gordon Hwy are good canidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:40 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,859,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
I feel the Regal 20 is the catalyst of the Augusta Exchange development. I feel if a theatre was built in Hephzibah there would be a whole new rush of development. Tobacco Rd, Peach Orchard Rd, Windsor Springs and Gordon Hwy are good canidates.
As long as people on the southside seem willing to drive to to the westside to see a movie, then that's probably where the theaters will remain. Several businesses have gambled on locating in South Augusta in the past only to close shortly thereafter because of poor traffic and sales.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

Who? and where? Im talking about a movie theatre here not some whole in the wall crap.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:54 PM

10 posts, read 37,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Mike View Post
They dont build theaters in the ghetto. North Augusta at i 520 and i 20 is a prime spot though.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:00 PM

They had two movie theaters on the southside and they both closed. One in the old Regency Mall and the general Cinemas multiplex behind the mall. Maybe you should write Magic Johnson and see if he would be interested in opening a theater on the southsiode.. his business model is one that opens theaters in locations that most other theater companies ignore. It's worth a shot I suppose.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:13 PM

I guess huh? Hephzibah is not a ghetto, far from it. South Richmond County has plenty of space. I dont remember a movie theatre in the regency mall. Maybe they closed that because they going to build one right behind the mall.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:20 PM

Hephzibah simply does not have the population density nor access to major freeways to make it attractive to a large theater company. Theaters draw from a wide area.. and the westside happens to be where I20 and I520 converge making that area more accessible for a wider audience.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:45 PM

So are sure about the two movie theatres in South Augusta? You know the one inside the mall and the one behind it. That sound like crap.

Im referring to Windsor Springs and Peach Orchard. Population density? check. Major freeway? check. People are willing to go to west augusta to see a movie because where else are going to go? Are you not going watch movies in movies?

I say give the people a choice West side or South side, that all.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:53 PM

yep there was a theater inside regency mall and a general cinema behind the mall at Regency Exchange and both were open at the same time.. There was even a dollar theater behind southgate for years too. But ppl on the the southside still preferred to travel to the westside to see movies. Many of the same social problems that plagued regency Mall, pplagued the theaters on that side of town as well. People who actually wanted to enjoy the movie they had paid to see, eventually got fed up with it and just went elsewhere, but now it appears the regal 20 is experiencing many of the same problems.

Old 07-23-2009, 03:56 PM

Then build a theater, get the investors together or get a loan. If the southside is such a great place for a theater I am sure finding these investors and a bank willing to make a loan will be easy. So far, it appears most major theater companies as well as upscale stores and restaurant chains just feel the southside is too risky a place to invest. They go where the money is, and that's on the westside for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area