Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 05:40 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,094,973 times

Advertisements

Colony Plaza will be South Augusta's version of AE and WTP. In West Augusta there are restaurants, banks, offices, retail and new residential around Augusta Exchange. The Wheeler town park development in West Augusta. The village type concept will have similar amenities. CP in South Augusta is becoming a transforming live, work, and play area too.

I-520 will have six lanes and feature new on and off ramps and exits. Starting at Gordon Hwy and ending at Peach Orchard rd in 2010. CP is located right off 520/pearch orchard exit.

Colony Plaza already had a $2 million facelift earlier this year.
Makeover of plaza is almost complete 052709 - The Augusta Chronicle

Create three outparcels that would have no road frontage on an accessible private or public road. The outparcels would share access with other Colony Plaza tenants that extends off Windsor Spring road near Sconyers Way.

Lot 1 contains .96 acres and is located at the eastern end of Colony Plaza

Lot 2 contains 1.04 acres and is located at the southeastern end of Colony Plaza.

Lot 3 contains 1.87 acres and is located at the south end of Colony Plaza along the northside of Sconyers Way.

http://www.augustaga.gov/archives/41/dec.%2009.%20pc%20agenda.pdf (broken link)

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-30-2009 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2009, 07:44 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,317 times
Sounds great, south Augusta is a very under-served market, plus it's not all crime ridden like people think, there actually are many nice neighborhoods there too. I noticed in that article that they said they were negotiating with national restaurants too, sounds like a good redevelopment project.

Old 12-31-2009, 06:24 AM

What ppl think that of South Augusta? I've never heard that before. They obviously live outside of Richmond county in a suburb. South Augusta is the biggest in the metro by a longshot in land mass and people. Anytime a area is 55% black and mostly middle class like South Augusta. Some people in the suburbs outside of Richmond county. Will blanket the whole area no matter what. Then turn around and visit Goshen's golf course though. Or read a book at the library and walk on one of the trails in Diamond Lakes. The dynamics are similar to North Fulton vs South Fulton.

The reason why you are seeing this type of growth. There are plenty of new homes in South Augusta. Windsor spring rd btw Tobacco rd and the Hephzibah city limits, Goshen, and Diamond Lakes have exploded with new homes. Manchester in Diamond Lakes begins at $190k.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-31-2009 at 07:35 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 07:41 AM

543 posts, read 1,316,406 times
You guys know there are two parts to south Augusta, inner and outer 520. Tobacco, Windsor springs, Goshen etc. The south Augusta the critic are talking about is Barton chapel, lumpkin rd and yes, some of the most dangerous hoods in the city. Did I mention the eyesores on gordon hwy like regency? South Augusta is so big good things could be happening but keep the bad rep.

Old 12-31-2009, 07:47 AM

West Augusta has always been more developed than South Augusta. Maybe some people are still stuck on that image. South Augusta is the fastest growing part of richmond county lately.

Barton chapel im assuming you mean Barton village, and lumpkin rd are lower middle class. These people get up and go to work everyday. Alot of the households have a mom and dad present in the home. They're are alot of older people who own they're homes. Yeah these might be considered the worst hoods in South Augusta. But they don't have anything on the public housing projects in East Augusta (Riverglenn, East Augusta Commons, etc).

The regency mall area is being revitalize. A new restaurant already moved in across from the old mall.

Forward with plans to purchase the 4.34-acre former Smartway Furniture building on Gordon Highway in the Southgate Shopping Center.
http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories...t_561443.shtml

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-31-2009 at 07:55 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 07:56 AM

Oh come on nortonguy, you can't possibly tell me that when you mention south augusta, they don't automatically think of an unpleasant area, just take a look at the comments that people wrote in that very article, the stigma of south augusta exists, whether you want to admit it or not. Here's one of the comments on that article, 'You can't change the fact it is in an area where none of us would dare shop.' All I was saying is that there are good and bad places in south aug, but most ppl just lump it together as bad.

And Hot_Mike, I sometimes like to say the inner part of 520 is south augusta, while the outer part is south Richmond county, South RC is where the nicer developments like Goshen are going, while south Aug has many less than desirable areas.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:05 AM

There are pockets of greater affluence in South Augusta. The census tract that includes Willis Foreman Road and Diamond Lakes Regional Park has an estimated average household income of $50,092, and it's estimated at $49,890 for the tract that includes Meadowbrook Drive. The Goshen area is over 50k.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
Oh come on nortonguy, you can't possibly tell me that when you mention south augusta, they don't automatically think of an unpleasant area, just take a look at the comments that people wrote in that very article, the stigma of south augusta exists, whether you want to admit it or not. Here's one of the comments on that article, 'You can't change the fact it is in an area where none of us would dare shop.' All I was saying is that there are good and bad places in south aug, but most ppl just lump it together as bad.
EastsideDave Im sure you're alot older than me. Im sure the perception of South Augusta has alot to do with age. I don't hang around alot of older white people. Who live in the burbs outside of Richmond county. So sorry I don't get that response when mentioning South Augusta. Im sure among some older suburban whites in Evans for example there may be stigma. I run with a crowd of 25 to 35 year old people.

Some people you know might do that. But definitely not most people in the metro area. It wouldn't be building as many new homes. Because nobody would want to move there.

Last edited by nortonguy; 12-31-2009 at 08:30 AM..

Old 12-31-2009, 08:26 AM

Don't forget about the NSA and Plant Vogtle. In 2010 the National Security Agency is bringing 4,000 high paying jobs to Ft. Gordon. Plant Vogtle is bringing 5,000 jobs between now and 2013.

Almost all of these people are moving to outer South Augusta or Hephzibah. Then Waynesboro/burke county, Blythe, Mcbean are mostly getting the rest.

Hephzibah is booming with upper middle class homes. The Lakes at Spirit Creek on willis foreman rd start at $250k. There are several million dollar houses south of Willis Foreman. Plant Vogtle engineers live there in Hephzibah.

Two of the fastest growing neighborhoods in Richmond county. Are both on the southside and on Willis Foreman rd. Walton acres(starts at $180k) and Lakes at Spirit Creek(starts at $250k).

Old 12-31-2009, 08:29 AM

Yet on the very news article you provided, most of the comments have inaccurately negative views of south augusta as a whole, but I guess I'm wrong with what I've said, lol

Oh, and you have no idea how old I am or what 'crowd I run with'. But I certainly am not the 'stereotypical old south racist white guy' you seem to be portraying me as. I have talked with people young and old all around the area, from Martinez to Aiken, and more times than not the opinions of 'south augusta' is a negative one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area