Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many years
5 4 50.00%
6 2 25.00%
7 1 12.50%
8 0 0%
9 0 0%
10 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 03:07 PM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,507 posts, read 15,097,205 times

Advertisements

Sutherland Mill and Walton Rehab are between the two(Downtown and Medical District). SM and WR had a road built between them. The city wants to expand the Medical District. There is no more land right around the Medical District. They want to expand it across walton way towards downtown.

The new Saint Sebastian connector is clearing alot of land out the way. The visibility btw the Medical District and Downtown is far greater. Before they recently closed a part of broad street for one month. You could see alot of the Medical District from there.

I think Sutherland Mill and Walton Rehab will spur growth between the two. I think in 6 years they will connect.

Here's a pic looking from a parking deck in the Medical District towards some of the area across walton way(btw Downtown & Medical District) The area already has a couple of tall buildings. Some hotels, mills, new Judicial Center, etc along walton way. And the new library on James Brown boulevard...

The picture is taken from Harper street...
augusta ga harper street - Google Maps

Last edited by nortonguy; 03-07-2010 at 03:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:32 PM

614 posts, read 1,101,138 times
I went with 5. To be honest it just aint gone happen. And I say that because of the tracks and train that runs through downtown and the medical district. The sooner they move those tracks the better.

Old 03-07-2010, 04:46 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,607 times
I said 10 just because 20+ wasn't an option. It's almost a mile between the tall(ish) buildings of the hospitals and the tall buildings on Broad and Reynolds. There's a LOT of land between these two places that are already occupied by low and mid rises. Plus, like Magician said, you've got those darn RR tracks and the horrid Calhoun Expy separating the two. Plus, I've always thought that a 'skyline' constitutes tall buildings (10+ floors). Adding a bunch of 2-4 story buildings between the two areas aren't going to make them magically appear as one.

Also, I don't know what you mean when you say that St. Sebastian is 'clearing out a lot of land' and 'improving visibility', it's a road, the land was already there and was already clear, the only thing that the new road did was provide access to Sutherland Mill. If you really want to improve visibility between Downtown and the Hospitals, then tear down the Calhoun Expy.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:19 PM

164 posts, read 391,547 times
I went with 7

Old 03-09-2010, 12:18 PM

This is from January 2010.... This is what I meant by Saint Sebastian ''clearing out alot of land'' and ''improving visbility''. Due to the construction of Saint Sebastian a new road was built between Sutherland Mill and Walton Rehab. They're building both bicycle lanes and walking trails. That will connect to the mix use path along the first level of Augusta Canal. Saint Sebastian also let's you go straight from Riverwatch pkwy to the Medical District....

http://www.augustacapital.net/Resources/552.jpg (broken link)

http://www.augustacapital.net/Resources/553.jpg (broken link)

This is what I said earlier in the thread. Now you can see the Medical District better from Broad street. That's Broad street in the far back by the two cranes....
http://www.augustacapital.net/Resources/554.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2010, 12:24 PM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area