Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:34 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,720,562 times

Advertisements

Bad boy was in Austin over the weekend. My second trip. And I'm in love with the city already I wish I could find a job in there, but given my niche skill set, the chances of that are too scarce.

Me and the girlfriend went to a lot of Tex Mex restaurants for I have a thing for queso. Well, she just led me and I followed. I know nothing of Austin.

We went to the Iron Cactus (my kinda place, fancy looking and great ambiance). Serrano's is sort of cheap and down to earth, but their queso rocks, much better than Iron Cactus. Then we went to one Texican Cafe, and it wasn't too bad, but didn't fare as high up as Serrano's or cactus in terms of queso.

So I'm looking for recommendations from the Austinites (is that even a word??) We'll be in Austin scouting for queso for the July 4 holiday weekend. I'd be happy to try new and great Mexican restaurants with mesmerizing queso. Thanks

Well, I also added a new word to my vocab. Tex-mex. What's up with that? Is it gonnabe Texico very soon? Hopefully not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 12:44 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
I REALLY like Trudy's Queso and it is really reasonably priced. Plus during happy hour, margaritas are only $3.95

Old 06-14-2010, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
I REALLY like Trudy's Queso and it is really reasonably priced. Plus during happy hour, margaritas are only $3.95
Pulls out his post-it notes. Jots it down. I'll send it to my manager for final approval.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 01:58 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Matt's El Rancho is good

Welcome to Matt's Famous El Rancho

Old 06-14-2010, 02:04 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
Bad Boy: Only because you referred to yourself in third person, and as a proper noun, I'll answer.. Torchy's has good queso blanco, and it's out of a trailer. Don't laugh, but the trailer eateries in this city rock.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Here is the good news: the places you visited are on the low-end of the Tex-Mex spectrum here. Also, some were *gasp* out of town chain restaurants! You don't do that in Austin. There are much, MUCH better places for you to try. I'd suggest:

*Guero's on S. Congress (food not that great, but better than Serrano's or Texican by far.. Margaritas are good and live music on their outdoor stage)

*Polvo's on S. First street. Hipster Tex-Mex central. Pretty good food and Margaritas

*Z-Tejas. Not really Tex-Mex but southwestern, excellent margaritas, more of an upscale atmosphere like Iron Cactus. Arboretum location has a patio with nice hill country view.

*Maudies. Cheap, but Tex-Mex all the way. If you want upscale, go to the one in Davenport Ranch off 360. Upscale location but the food is still cheap. If you want downscale/funky, go to the one off S. Lamar near the Alamo Drafthouse and Highball (bowling alley/nightclub).

*Baby Acapulco. Not particularly good food, but they do have a specialty queso with mushrooms. It used to be a favorite of many friends of mine. Also ridiculous highly alcoholic margaritas, I think they limit you to 2. I only would recommend the Barton Springs location.

*Hula Hut. This is the same company that owns Chuy's (which is OK for atmosphere but I wouldn't recommend otherwise). Hula Hut is cool because it's right on the water, usually hopping with people, good margaritas (and an outdoor bar to drink them), food is a little better than Chuy's.

*El Arroyo on 5th. Edge of west downtown, usually hopping, very good Tex-Mex.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:56 PM

3,202 posts, read 6,020,012 times
I would add Curra's on Oltorf. It's a good scene, and I will concur with Atxcio that Maudie's is good: any location of theirs is good. I also like El Mercado as a cheap/easy lunchtime vice. There is also Maudite's Milagro on 360, which is outstanding.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,060,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
*Hula Hut. This is the same company that owns Chuy's (which is OK for atmosphere but I wouldn't recommend otherwise). Hula Hut is cool because it's right on the water, usually hopping with people, good margaritas (and an outdoor bar to drink them), food is a little better than Chuy's.
FYI, Chuy's no longer owns the Hula Hut and as a result it no longer has the same happy hour prices, we sadly learned this past December. It's food quality also has seemingly gone down since they sold it.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:01 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennibc View Post
FYI, Chuy's no longer owns the Hula Hut and as a result it no longer has the same happy hour prices, we sadly learned this past December. It's food quality also has seemingly gone down since they sold it.
Oh no! Well, this day just keeps getting more and more disappointing.

Old 06-14-2010, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
Bad Boy: Only because you referred to yourself in third person, and as a proper noun, I'll answer.. Torchy's has good queso blanco, and it's out of a trailer. Don't laugh, but the trailer eateries in this city rock.
Trust me, I have a huge history of hiding behind trailer eateries and gulping bhel, pani and masala poori for almost an entire decade. It wasn't an acceptable practice in my home, but you never get that taste anywhere. Sanitation has been a problem as always, but my immune system has been good thus far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin