Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by furnitureprincess View Post
We are looking at moving to Austin from, yes you guessed it, California. We seem to be able to get the best bang for our buck in Round Rock and Georgetown. Had a couple of questions for anybody who is educated in those two areas.
-Any pro's/con's of the two? I seem to be drawn to Georgetown because it seems to have that small-town feel.

-How much further of a drive into downtown would it be from Georgetown than Round Rock?

-How bad is traffic really? I live in Los Angeles, so it is hard to imagine that anything can be as bad, but the more I read, the more I am lead to believe it is.

-We are looking to spend around $200,000 +/- and want a good solid place to raise our two young children so schools are VERY important. Would entertain living closer to the city, if I could seem to find a place with good schools and affordable housing, but don't want to buy a fixer-upper. I'm dreaming right??? Maybe we just deal with the commute . . .

Thanks to anybody who posts. ***Oh yeah . . . one more good question . . . do the people in Austin really hate Californian transplants as much as I seem to keep reading they do??? I consider myself to have more Texan values than Californian But don't want to be ostracized just because of my previous zip code . . .
So, this was back in 2007, and I'm getting ready to make the same transition. I too am looking to move around Leander/Round Rock/Georgetown area. Did you make to move? How do you like it? I noticed you lived in Texas before...I moved to Orlando, FL for three years, and the humidity was horrible. How is it out there, bearable, horrible? I'll find a property, and reference to Great Schools website, and the numbers are all over the place. From a score of 2 - 11....how are your kids doing there? Hope everything worked out for you and your family. (I hope you receive this and can respond) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 12:46 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,264,039 times
The only Californians that drive Texans crazy are the ones who move here and then constantly complain about it, crowing about how much better California is. If it really was indeed so much better, you would still be there. Most Texans are as proud of our state as everyone thinks we are so please don't come here and insult it.

Round Rock has excellent schools and affordable housing, but $200k will likely get you more house for the money in Georgetown. To echo previous posts, you may also consider Cedar Park or Pflugerville.

Be safe and welcome to Texas.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:28 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
I live in Brushy Creek just west of Round Rock.

Great neighborhood and schools. The two elementary and middle schools are all rated exemplary. There are more than a few homes in this area at your price point.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:34 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Why would anybody move to Austin and then live in Round Rock? If that kind of environment is appealing to you, live in Katy and make more money at a job in Houston.

Old 07-30-2013, 01:56 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,576 times
Both towns are fantastic versions of anywhere USA! Weather aside, you won't be able to tell if you're in Texas or Iowa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin