Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,538 times

Advertisements

any suggestions? no pets or children...just two middle-aged women (one married, one widowed.) August, 2010...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 08:29 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,132,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorothyconca View Post
any suggestions? no pets or children...just two middle-aged women (one married, one widowed.) August, 2010...
The south route (I10) is faster, but really boring. Definitely go the north route (I40). You will be able to go to las vegas, the grand canyon (stay at bright lodge - requires 6 months advance reservations or ride the grand canyon railroad ), santa fe (use priceline to get a killer deal on hotel). Between santa fe to austin there really isnt any place good, but you can priceline a hotel in lubbock and at least get a cheap rate. Each leg is about 8 hours so it makes it easy driving.

Going back the other way Im not really sure, maybe austin, oklahoma city to colorado springs

Old 07-11-2010, 10:16 PM

515 posts, read 1,397,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
The south route (I10) is faster, but really boring. Definitely go the north route (I40). You will be able to go to las vegas, the grand canyon (stay at bright lodge - requires 6 months advance reservations or ride the grand canyon railroad ), santa fe (use priceline to get a killer deal on hotel). Between santa fe to austin there really isnt any place good, but you can priceline a hotel in lubbock and at least get a cheap rate. Each leg is about 8 hours so it makes it easy driving.

Going back the other way Im not really sure, maybe austin, oklahoma city to colorado springs
Take some advice from someone who just drove from San Francisco through Palm Springs to Austin on I 10. Don't take the southern route, go more north. While the landscape was really beautiful through much of the drive, there is nothing out there once you leave Palm Springs, and it really gets bad when you hit west TX. There is nothing, but nothing out there other than some beautiful sunrises. I would only suggest I 10 if you are in a hot hurry to get to Austin, otherwise take the much more scenic northern route. Happy driving.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:41 AM

1,618 posts, read 6,617,922 times
Out of this whole trip getting out of TX is going to seem the longest or is it the longest? lol

I agree. Just get on I-10 go 80+ mph and get out of here as fast as your vehicle could / can do.

Note* Turn on your radar detector* and try to stop into fredericksburg and get some sweet, juicy peaches for the long haul out of here (get plenty of napkins) ~~

Old 07-12-2010, 09:12 AM

246 posts, read 858,126 times
On the way back take I-70 through Utah and Colorado. It's a no-brainer. Probably the most scenic stretch of interstate in this fair land.

If you want to skip Denver and cut down to Colorado Springs through the mountains, you have lots of choices for very scenic drives. I recommend that you turn South at Glenwood Springs on highway 82 and go through Aspen over Independence Pass, then take Highway 24 over to Colorado Springs through Manitou Springs. That'll take you past Mt. Sopris, the Maroon Bells, and a bunch of 14'ers that I can't think of now. Independence Pass is a really fun drive, there's probably still snow up there.

In Western Colorado you'll go through Palisade, my home town. It was a peach town when I was growing up but it's switched to wine and there are several great vineyards to stop at if you're into that sort of thing. Also, near Fruita is the Colorado National Monument, which you can drive in a loop for a fairly short but very scenic detail.

Don't drive up I-15 towards Vegas on a Friday afternoon/evening. Don't drive down I-15 towards LA from Vegas on a Sunday. Traffic is miserable and it can sometimes take 8 hours to go that distance.

Last edited by RevMen; 07-12-2010 at 09:44 AM..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:40 AM

481 posts, read 2,417,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
On the way back take I-70 through Utah and Colorado. It's a no-brainer. Probably the most scenic stretch of interstate in this fair land.

If you want to skip Denver and cut down to Colorado Springs through the mountains, you have lots of choices for very scenic drives. I recommend that you turn South at Glenwood Springs on highway 82 and go through Aspen over Independence Pass, then take Highway 24 over to Colorado Springs through Manitou Springs. That'll take you past Mt. Sopris, the Maroon Bells, and a bunch of 14'ers that I can't think of now. Independence Pass is a really fun drive, there's probably still snow up there.
I second this. I used to live in Leadville, CO - on the east side of Independence Pass. You're on top of the world there. Snow there year round. Boom Days in Leadville is the first weekend in August and that's a lot of fun. They have "mining" competitions, bed races, outhouse races - like the good old days.

Drive from Leadville to CO Springs will take you through the famous South Park Basin - which the cartoon is named after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin