Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 11:58 AM

4 posts, read 60,746 times

Advertisements

We are planning to drive from Austin to Colorado Springs in mid March.
I would like to know which route should I take from Austin, I-35 North through Fort Worth/Wichita Falls or 183 through Abilene/Lubbock? How long is the drive, I got 15 hours from Google Map, if using Fort Worth route, is it about right?
Is it an easy drive in mid March?
Any help/guidance would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 12:14 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times
We always went through Lubbock when we went to CO, although it has been a few years since I have driven it. It is a pretty easy drive...there are a few towns to slow down in (lights and such), but not too many. The conditions CAN be bad at that time of year...we did get caught in a pretty bad ice storm once many years ago, but that is the exception rather than the norm. The roads are good to whole way that I can remember.

As for time, 15 hours through Lubbock would be about right if you really minimized your stops, or more accurately, the amount of time stopped. To get to Raton used to take us 13 or 14 hours and we were not really pushing it.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
I haven't done this drive from Austin but have MANY times in winter and summer from the DFW area. We have always taken 287 up to Amarillo then to Rotan and on up to Colorado Springs. The roads are good but SLOW DOWN in the small towns along the way. If it says, "45 MPH" don't go one hair over. The state highway patrols are usually out as well in both Texas and New Mexico. The many Dairy Queens along the way in all of the small towns are a good spot to stop, stretch your legs, grab a bite and use the facilities. Most of the gas stations are also very nice with nice and clean facilities. Heck, even the rest areas are nice thru this part of the state.

Weather - it can be good and it can be BAD! I've seen it all. They are pretty good about keeping the roads clear as this is a MAJOR thoroughfare for freight traffic. If the roads are not clear and it is very VERY bad weather and you don't see any trucks on the road..... find a place to stop. If the roads were clear those trucks would be rolling.

Are you planning on one night on the road to spend somewhere? I'd suggest it as it can be a VERY LONG and boring drive. Unless you are part of a large group with enough good and trustworthy drivers to take turns and can get rest while it is not your shift....... don't try to make it without stopping for the night. That being said........ the minute you decide that you will find a spot in the next town for the night......... FIND IT ASAP!!! Do NOT think "oh the next town is 15 miles away surely we can find something there". Not always. Not only is this a VERY popular route for the trucks it is for the THOUSANDS of Texans heading to the slopes for Spring Break. Even in the summer months one can very well NOT find a room along this route. One time we got the last room in all of Tucumcari, NM. The guy at the front desk was like, "it doesn't have a tv or bathtub only a shower". It will do. This was at midnight and there was a line of people behind us wanting that same room. My suggestion.......... if you can map out your route now and figure out where you'd like to bunk for the night. Call and make a reservation NOW! Even in the "big city" of Amarillo can it be hard to find a room.

Old 01-05-2009, 03:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
When we lived in Denver we took all the routes listed above. 287 through Amarillo is one of our favorites. We've also gone through El Paso, cut a little through NM and then into Colorado. Any of the routes take about 15 hours though, but they each have different scenery and traffic loads. I totally agree with taking a rest. We've driven straight through, but only because we were both driving. With our daughter, however, we started doing one overnight because it's a long drive for little kids.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Your input really help me to plan, again I really appreciate it.

We live in Austin, we have two children and they really want to see the snow and play with it, that's the whole reason for going to Colorado Springs. We are still looking for shorter drive, the closest snow area I can find is Ruidoso, New Mexico. Have you been there before? Is it worth going? Do you recommend any other nearby snow area? We are not interested in skiing, we just want to play with the snow, seeing the beauty of nature and taking pictures...
Thank you again.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,873,839 times
If your not interested in skiing then try New Mexico. Staying in the city of Colorado Springs your not really going to be in a great area to play in the snow. There is a good chance there won't even be snow on the ground in the city. Even if there were to be some while your there it still doesn't mean it will look great and be "fun" to play in. There are a LOT of neat things to do in the area but I recommend staying up near Woodland Park (west of Colorado Springs) or even Green Mountain Falls or a bit closer to the city, Manitou Springs. This direction out of COS is a small amusement park that has been there FOREVER, The North Pole. Cool little place w/ reindeer and small amusement park type rides. Woodland Park is nice and a very small town that has grown a lot from the years I used to stay there a lot. There are actually more than 2 VERY SMALL motels in the place now. Your more IN the mountains out this way and will most likely have snow on the ground but it is NOT a ski resort. Staying in COS your going to see the mountains off to the west but your not going to be "IN" them. Some other neat things to do in the area but may be closed due to weather/winter: Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, Seven Falls. Now, there is a very good chance that winter weather could make the drive from COS up towards Woodland Park impassable. I'd also HIGHLY recommend that whichever area you decide on that you make reservations ASAP! Even in the summer we have driven around w/ hordes of other people trying to find ANY room in all of COS and the vicinity just for 1 night (had reservations for the rest of the trip).

New Mexico:
1. Sandia Peak outside of Albuquerque. There may not be snow in ABQ but up on Sandia Peak there is. You would have to stay down at the base but can take the gondola to the top of Sandia Peak. This IS a ski resort on the edge of the city. Not much else to do here though but the old part of the city has some neat shops and all.

2. If you want a little more to do then try Santa Fe. A much better town to stay in and you can find lodging that allows you to walk instead of drive to places in the old part of town to dine and such. Just stay close to the main square in Santa Fe. Again, may not be snow on the ground outside your hotel doorway and your not "IN" the mountains and you would have to drive to it.

3. Taos. A little further now than Santa Fe and a fun little town where you can find lodging that allows you to walk to some shops and dining.

If you decide on any of these destinations in New Mexico try the airfares to ABQ on Southwest. They have been running some great low fares and it might be worth it for you to fly and stay 3-4 nights if your not interested in skiing. Driving this far and only staying 3-4 nights is NOT FUN! Again, whichever you decide...... make reservations for your lodging as soon as you decide.

Other options:

If your wanting to find something for the kids to do in the snow and no one is interested in skiing.......... there are probably some better alternatives but would be better to fly to or find a package.

1. Durango, CO (ski resort is called Purgatory). The reason I recommend this is because there is a hill for tubing. You can also take the Narrow Gauge Railroad from Durango over to Silverton (an old mining town). If the roads are passable and you don't mind driving on the side of a mountain then you can also go over to see Ouray. Take your swimsuits though and hit the naturally heated pools here. Getting a package to go here is probably the best bet. American flies nonstop. There are some great condos right at the base of Purgatory if you want to stay there and maybe even let the kids ski in ski school for a day or two. If you want to stay in Durango you can stay right downtown and walk around the city to shop and dine. There is also a shuttle to the ski areas. You can drive to Durango as well but again...... allow 2 days w/ a stop along the way.

2. Keystone or Breckinridge, CO. Again, these are both ski resorts but have more to do than just ski. In Keystone you can take a horse drawn sleigh ride. You can pick the dinner one as well where they cook for you out by the campfire. THIS REALLY IS getting into the whole nature part of it. There is an ice rink in Keystone Village. There is a gondola in the River Run area of Keystone that takes you to the top and you do NOT have to be a skier to take it. There is a restaurant up there for dinner that is really nice. You can drive easily between Keystone and Breckinridge. Breckinridge is a nice town with a great main street w/ cool shops and an ice sculpture event every year. Getting here if you want to drive you can. You can also fish here. You will see fisherman in the water fly fishing. It is about 14 hours though and is best done in 2 days. We have left out at around 4 pm and stopped in Dalhart for the night (late, late). Stop in Denver for ski passes and lunch. Arrive in Keystone area late afternoon. If you don't mind driving to Colorado Springs......... I'd go ahead and just head on up to this area to be IN the mountains and have more to do with the kids AND PLENTY OF SNOW! Oh, there are also snow mobile tours to go on in this area.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:02 AM

Thank you very much for the inputs.

Old 12-22-2009, 05:20 PM

69 posts, read 158,268 times
We are looking at the exact same trek in early 2010 - hey phimb, are you still out there, and if so, any additional notes from your experience? I will probably have four daughters, a dog, a cat, a bird and a lizard in the car also! Anticipating two nites' layovers, but have yet to get to that planning stage-

Old 12-22-2009, 06:34 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,693,254 times
you really can go with just one layover.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:06 PM

69 posts, read 158,268 times
Yeah, but as I mentioned, four daughters, a dog, a cat, a bird and a lizard... Oh, and two fish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin