Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 07:17 PM

302 posts, read 690,645 times

Advertisements

I'm curious.

Does anyone actually commute from Austin to San Antonio? If so, just how bad is the commute?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:26 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,737,895 times
Problem is there aren't many options to IH-35 which means you have to commute before or after the rush hour. Even getting out of SA can take some time so I would only do this rather hellish commute on a temporary basis. There is an organization called Lone Star rail that wants to build a commuter train between the two cities but at this moment they don't have much in the way of funding.

If you want to live in Austin b/c you desire a certain type of neighborhood I would suggest doing further research on SA. King William, Alamo Heights, and Southtown might be what you are looking for.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
I have known people who have done it! Usually they lived south of the river in Austin, only worked in SA 2-3 days a week, and could leave before or after rush.

I know someone who drove to WACO three times a week for a job for 2 years!! That is nuts!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,017,965 times
I did it until Feb...1 1/2 years.

Going to SA is not a bad drive. I worked right downtown and it was 75-85 minutes door to door from SW of Austin. Coming home traffic was generally worse with it taking at least 90 minutes. Half the time 1:45.

I will say that I got a $6K raise in gasoline savings by working in Austin again not including other car maintenance expenses.

It's not something I would do again. I was never able to take my daughter to daycare or pick her up so the job actually put a bit of stress on my wife since I wasn't available for that chore if she had something come up.

I will say commuting from Austin to SA was a better deal that living there.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:40 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
As kinda alluded to by some of the other posters - exactly what part of Austin and SA you're traveling to/from have a major effect as well as what time of day you'd be doing this travel.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,546 times
From mid to North Austin to San Antonio, absolutely not! I had a 72 mile one-way commute in South Texas (on non-congested Highway 59) and just the additional 2.5 hours on the road every day wore me down over several months. I cannot even begin to imagine commuting from Austin to San Antonio with the traffic! If I lived in far South Austin and worked in far north SA, it might be feasible but I'd still have to think long and hard about if the job was really worth it!

Old 07-12-2010, 10:50 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,928,737 times
If I were going to do it, I'd live in Dripping Springs and take 290/281. At least it would be a pretty and more relaxing drive than fighting I-35 every day. It's right at 90 minutes from DS to downtown SA.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:35 AM

426 posts, read 1,673,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
If I were going to do it, I'd live in Dripping Springs and take 290/281. At least it would be a pretty and more relaxing drive than fighting I-35 every day. It's right at 90 minutes from DS to downtown SA.
Yes, but depending on time of day, the 281/1604 interchange and that area is absolutely miserable. Especially if you need to get onto 1604 and not simply driving through it. That said, it still can be much better than 35 - again - depending on the exact locations you're looking to commute to/from.

Old 07-12-2010, 11:47 AM

302 posts, read 690,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robino2001 View Post
As kinda alluded to by some of the other posters - exactly what part of Austin and SA you're traveling to/from have a major effect as well as what time of day you'd be doing this travel.
Actually, I am not going to be doing this at this time. But it's something I am considering if I ever switch jobs.

I know commutes suck, but full time WAH can also wear you down after a few years.

I live in SW Austin. While browsing job postings, I saw that USAA is in San Antonio, and appears to be a good place to work in. So I wanted to have an idea of whether that long of a commute is something people currently do, and if so, just how bad it is.

Thanks!

Old 07-12-2010, 11:52 AM

178 posts, read 458,987 times
Life is too short, it ain't worth it.
I did it temporarily for a few months. From north Austin to south San Antonio it was almost exactly 100 miles and 2 hours travel each way. Leaving the house at 6 AM got me through Austin before rush hour, taking 123 from San Marcos south to IH 10 in Seguin let me sneak into the east side of SA without much hassle. Returning to Austin was the worst part. I35 is always a mess unless I left SA early and even then wasn't a sure thing. Leaving late didn't solve anything either because I often ran into lane closures for night construction work.
It quickly turns your vehicle into a no-value high mileage one. Oil changes seem to come as often as fill-ups. In fact, I fill up now almost as often as I was having oil changed back then. If I were faced with it again, I think I would choose unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin