Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2010, 07:08 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,064,072 times

Advertisements

http://www.cnbc.com/id/37151135?slide=4

Had anyone heard this before?
Is it the city limits or the whole metro area? Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2010, 07:25 PM

322 posts, read 749,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
http://www.cnbc.com/id/37151135?slide=4

Had anyone heard this before?
Is it the city limits or the whole metro area? Anyone know?
Not surprising considering the design quality of the freeways around here, most notably I35, and the number of drunks driving on them.

Old 07-15-2010, 07:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,453,735 times
And the number of people from other states with different driving laws and customs, in varying stages of transition to Texas driving laws and customs, all thrown together on the same roads.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:11 PM

5,872 posts, read 11,948,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
And the number of people from other states with different driving laws and customs, in varying stages of transition to Texas driving laws and customs, all thrown together on the same roads.
That's what I've noticed a lot lately. Way too many people on way too few roads and a large mix of people from different areas with different driving habits and driving experiences. One example is the wide right shoulders that are used for making right turns. It's customary, expected and legal to get onto the shoulder when making a right turn off a non freeway type road where the speed limit can be 60 or 65. And yet, recently I've had several encounters with people who slow all the way down to turn speed in the drive lane. It's dangerous and really annoying! That and merging - I do not understand why people don't seem to have any clue when either trying to merge or allowing people to merge. I'm sure this wasn't as big of a problem with a lot fewer cars on the road.

To answer the OP's question -I think it spans the whole metro area into the suburbs where there is a large amount of traffic going in the same direction.

Old 07-15-2010, 10:08 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,008,467 times
We did not use the shoulder to make a turn where we're from. I think it's crazy here that it's allowed. The shoulder is often for the pedestrian.

Furthermore, it isn't even marked as a lane! If this area wants to use the shoulder for a turn lane then they should mark it so it's visible. Right now it seems to be one of those unwritten rules.

Yes, that's me in the marked right hand turn lane waiting to turn when someone in a big hurry pulls up beside me on the shoulder to make a turn.

It's also vacation time.

Last edited by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots; 07-15-2010 at 10:34 PM..

Old 07-15-2010, 11:10 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,112,643 times
I agree about the right turn from the shoulder thing. I some states, this would be illegal. Unless it is a marked turn lane (which it mostly isn't in Texas), it is the shoulder, for use by bicyclists and for emergencies. Pulling over to turn would constitute driving on the shoulder, and that is illegal. I understand that Texans may find this irritating, but people from out of state are just trying to drive safely and legally. If Texans want people to encourage out-of-state drivers to do this, they should stripe the road with a turn lane on the shoulder. I have started doing this sometimes, but I always feel like I am being "bad", and I'm not sure I would do it if I saw a cop around.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:23 AM

15 posts, read 50,588 times
Driving car in Austin is very hard so I suggest for all people drive slowly, beware about what's going on around you and also the streets sometimes make people confused, on the other hand you can't live in Austin without a car.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:11 AM

659 posts, read 1,378,263 times
I'm not surprised. Every time I'm in Austin (driving of course since that's basically the only efficient way to be transported there) it's a bit like being surrounded by teenagers with no idea of where they're going. That phenomena, coupled with the outdated arterial roads and essentially non-existent freeways, makes for interesting driving conditions. No prob...I'll just park the car on the side of the road and go play Hacky Sack with the patchouli crowd.

Old 07-16-2010, 08:52 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,064,072 times
All of my wrecks have been near downtown or the near the west side of town. Always someone else hitting me. As you get out further it seems a little better.
All of my crime run-ins (being mugged, truck broken into) have been in or near downtown as well.

Old 07-16-2010, 09:15 AM

3,090 posts, read 3,274,173 times
Wait a minute, if you actually read what the "ranking" is about, it's simply the number of people who are signing up for new insurance that have reported that they've been in a previous accident. The "article" doesn't say whether they actually factored in the location of all the previous accidents (i.e. if someone moved here from SoCal and had 2 accidents whether or not the two accidents would be counted against SoCal or Austin). So I don't know if this is some type of future indicator that says that "more dangerous drivers" are now here in Austin or if it's saying something about Austin itself. Either way color me dubious.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin