Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 09:38 AM

1 posts, read 1,539 times

Advertisements

Don't kid yourself....Austin has more than its share of dangerous drivers. And you don't need an article or ranking to shed light on that fact.

Look around. Many of the drivers happen to be young which translates into inexperience. Combine that with the fact that, as TexasHorseLady points out, many come from other cities and states where customs are different....and where a yellow light means..."Hurry up, I can make it".

I've driven in Europe, South America, NYC, LA, and elsewhere....driving in Austin is a few steps up from a bumper car park.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 09:50 AM

99 posts, read 180,834 times
Short exit and entrance ramps everywhere. The I35 split. 183 at MOPAC. The massive slowdown at Riverside. No wonder. The roads here certainly were not designed to accomodate so many people. But we keep building and let them keep coming to town.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:22 AM

1,455 posts, read 2,496,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
We did not use the shoulder to make a turn where we're from. I think it's crazy here that it's allowed. The shoulder is often for the pedestrian.

Furthermore, it isn't even marked as a lane! If this area wants to use the shoulder for a turn lane then they should mark it so it's visible. Right now it seems to be one of those unwritten rules.

Yes, that's me in the marked right hand turn lane waiting to turn when someone in a big hurry pulls up beside me on the shoulder to make a turn.

It's also vacation time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
I agree about the right turn from the shoulder thing. I some states, this would be illegal. Unless it is a marked turn lane (which it mostly isn't in Texas), it is the shoulder, for use by bicyclists and for emergencies. Pulling over to turn would constitute driving on the shoulder, and that is illegal. I understand that Texans may find this irritating, but people from out of state are just trying to drive safely and legally. If Texans want people to encourage out-of-state drivers to do this, they should stripe the road with a turn lane on the shoulder. I have started doing this sometimes, but I always feel like I am being "bad", and I'm not sure I would do it if I saw a cop around.
Well, you can agree all you like but you'd be wrong, it is a written rule:-

Texas Transportation Code - Section 545.058.

§545.058 - DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER
(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision

The Texas Highway Man Pages - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

So here in TX is is legal and permitted, so please leave the "not done this way where I'm from" back where it belongs!

Peds, breakdowns, cyclists etc. fall into the "Done Safely" on the first line of the code.

- Tim

Old 07-16-2010, 10:43 AM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timfountain View Post
Well, you can agree all you like but you'd be wrong, it is a written rule:-

Texas Transportation Code - Section 545.058.

§545.058 - DRIVING ON IMPROVED SHOULDER
(a) An operator may drive on an improved shoulder to the right of the main traveled portion of a roadway if that operation is necessary and may be done safely, but only:
(1) to stop, stand, or park;
(2) to accelerate before entering the main traveled lane of traffic;
(3) to decelerate before making a right turn;
(4) to pass another vehicle that is slowing or stopped on the main traveled portion of the highway, disabled, or preparing to make a left turn;
(5) to allow another vehicle traveling faster to pass;
(6) as permitted or required by an official traffic control device; or
(7) to avoid a collision

The Texas Highway Man Pages - Texas Traffic Laws (and good driving habits)

So here in TX is is legal and permitted, so please leave the "not done this way where I'm from" back where it belongs!

Peds, breakdowns, cyclists etc. fall into the "Done Safely" on the first line of the code.

- Tim
Thank you, I've been meaning to look that up because I read it before. It's just plain dangerous on a stretch of road where the speed limit is 60 or 65 to slow down to 15 MPH to make a right turn. Of course one should watch for bicyclists and pedrestrians before moving on to the shoulder - that is common sense no matter what the speed.

I agree, just because they didn't do it where you came from doesn't mean you shouldn't do it here. Not doing it can cause a bigger problem.

Old 07-16-2010, 10:58 AM

515 posts, read 1,396,799 times
We moved here from CA a couple of months ago, and the first thing I noticed and still notice in Austin is the number of crazy drivers here. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Austin, we are totally happy here, but people drive here like maniacs. Slow down people. I have never seen so many people in such a hot hurry. I go the speed limit most of the time, but you would think I was crawling along the road the way drivers speed up and go around me. I've driven in lots of places and different states, and people just drive way too fast here.

Old 07-16-2010, 12:07 PM

3,787 posts, read 6,998,241 times
I was provoked:

Maybe city data should require blood samples before we can post...that way we can make sure the poster is "pure" Texan and therefore is right about everything.
Many things are done "differently" in other places. That doesn't make what Texas is doing "right".
Also, I'd have to see cause and effect studies done on whether it's "safe" to drive on the shoulder before I'd say one way or another. (scientific study)

Also, it would be great if people used common sense when driving but from what I see that's a pipe dream.

Lastly: define "improved shoulder".

Old 07-16-2010, 12:20 PM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,808 times
The worst aspect of traffic in Austin is the aggressiveness and tail gating of drivers when theres a long string of traffic. Its horrible driving when you know if you get cut off or theres trouble in front of you that necessitates you to make an emergency stop the person behind you will plow right into the back of you.

Old 07-16-2010, 01:06 PM

3,074 posts, read 3,261,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
Don't kid yourself....Austin has more than its share of dangerous drivers. And you don't need an article or ranking to shed light on that fact.
That's not the point of this thread. Of course Austin has plenty of dangerous drivers, what city doesn't. The article makes Austin out to be one of the most dangerous in the US, which may or may not be true, but one certainly wouldn't know it by that article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
I've driven in Europe, South America, NYC, LA, and elsewhere....driving in Austin is a few steps up from a bumper car park.
Quote:
Originally Posted by eichlerfan
We moved here from CA a couple of months ago, and the first thing I noticed and still notice in Austin is the number of crazy drivers here. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE Austin, we are totally happy here, but people drive here like maniacs. Slow down people. I have never seen so many people in such a hot hurry. I go the speed limit most of the time, but you would think I was crawling along the road the way drivers speed up and go around me. I've driven in lots of places and different states, and people just drive way too fast here.
This has come up in other threads, but others (myself included) feel exactly the opposite (maybe it's because I'm one of the "crazy drivers" you are referring too ). I find many Austin drivers frustratingly slow and overly conservative. I think that drivers in the SF Bay Area and the LA area to be far more aggressive and faster than here in Austin. Just goes to show how different peoples perceptions can differ dramatically on the same subject. BTW, I have 0 auto accidents (knock on wood) since I've lived in Austin (had none in Cali either for that matter).

Quote:
I assume this simply means one that is paved (vs gravel, grass, etc).

Old 07-16-2010, 02:23 PM

5,865 posts, read 11,920,390 times
Quote:
I was provoked:

Maybe city data should require blood samples before we can post...that way we can make sure the poster is "pure" Texan and therefore is right about everything.
Many things are done "differently" in other places. That doesn't make what Texas is doing "right".
Also, I'd have to see cause and effect studies done on whether it's "safe" to drive on the shoulder before I'd say one way or another. (scientific study)

Also, it would be great if people used common sense when driving but from what I see that's a pipe dream.

Now now, let's not take it so personally. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just customary here and it can be dangerous if you don't realize that it's the norm and other drivers are not expecting you to NOT pull over. If you're stopped and waiting for a turn, it's not nearly as dangerous as when you slow to 15 in front of someone going 60, especially when that person behind you is EXPECTING that you'll pull onto the shoulder before you turn.

It's unlikely you're going to see any cause and effect studies, but if it concerns you, you should write the DOT.

Old 07-16-2010, 02:54 PM

653 posts, read 1,794,066 times
The lack of good mass transit makes it more necessary to drive, so even those with way below average skills (who know that the roads would be safer without them), if they can pick up the minimal skills to pass a test, might decide to become drivers.

I know that I have considered doing such recently. I would be one of those drivers which needs to wait for much more clearance than average, and if you are behind me, when I am driving, you will likely get frustrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin