Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 05:48 AM

3 posts, read 20,682 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have been offered jobs in Austin and Houston. We would be moving from Chicagoland to one of these two cities. I am in high technology management and my family is Korean-American.

It seems the feedback we currently have suggest that the diversity and resource available for Asian families are stronger in Houston than Austin.

However, the consensus seems to be that Austin has better weather and better job market for someone like me, should I ever look for jobs again in the future w/o moving again.

Education for my kids (grade school), quality of life for my family and support system for my wife (where we don't know anyone) are some of the most important things to consider since I will be working or traveling much of the time.

Sorry for the long post, but any input will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

jp9052
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2010, 05:56 AM

7,228 posts, read 16,095,392 times
I'd probably lean towards Houston, it is a bigger town, more diverse, and more like Chicago. Austin is a smaller place, smaller airport, many fewer non-stop flights. Houston is the 4th largest city in America! More Asians and more Koreans there.

Of course, there are plenty of Asians in Austin and a substantial number of Koreans too with Samsung here and the university. But it is a smaller place, so the Korean community is smaller too.

Can you visit before you decide?

Old 07-26-2010, 06:06 AM

Thanks. You are saying the same things we have heard. We want to visit, but they want us to make a decision right away, so not sure if that will be possible. Perhaps we should insist...

Old 07-26-2010, 07:55 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,159,468 times
The weather is not radically different between Houston and Austin. Austin is perhaps 2-5 degrees warmer in the summer and with less all day humidity. Austin winters will be a few degrees cooler.

Houston has more noticable Asian communities - for example the Bellaire area. I do not know however if the Korean community is distinct or not. In Austin the population is more blended in general. Asians of different origin live throughout the area.

To me the truly significant difference is that the Houston metro is almost 5M people vs. the 1M+ of Austin. The Houston economy is very large, but relatively light in semiconductors. Houston has HP (the old Compaq) and several large software companies. Austin has more semiconductor design and fab, plus many software companies. Dell of course is nearby.

Good schools can be found in both cities though you need to do some homework before you choose your neighborhood.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:02 AM
gdu

256 posts, read 699,345 times
Houston for the reasons mentioned above.

Old 07-26-2010, 09:48 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
The weather is not radically different between Houston and Austin. Austin is perhaps 2-5 degrees warmer in the summer and with less all day humidity. Austin winters will be a few degrees cooler.

Houston has more noticable Asian communities - for example the Bellaire area. I do not know however if the Korean community is distinct or not. In Austin the population is more blended in general. Asians of different origin live throughout the area.

To me the truly significant difference is that the Houston metro is almost 5M people vs. the 1M+ of Austin. The Houston economy is very large, but relatively light in semiconductors. Houston has HP (the old Compaq) and several large software companies. Austin has more semiconductor design and fab, plus many software companies. Dell of course is nearby.

Good schools can be found in both cities though you need to do some homework before you choose your neighborhood.
I agree with this.

If you are looking for a "KoreaTown" or a "ChinaTown"....they will be bigger & more defined in Houston (I'm thinking the Korean neighborhoods are near Long Point Dr. between Wirt & Gessner....lots of good Bulgogi found in restaurants in that area ).

But if you are more Korean-American....& looking to move into a multicultural area, there are many areas & neighborhoods in Austin with large Asian populations.

(Check out Westwood HS & all the neighborhoods & schools that flow into it.)

Oh....& visit both places in the summer. I grew up in Houston & the humidity will always be the deal breaker (for me) if contemplating moving back. Love to visit Houston....but won't ever move back.

Old 07-26-2010, 11:25 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,837,799 times
Sounds like Houston will be more what you're looking for and what you're used to from a city size and cultural standpoint. But it would also help knowing where in town the job/office is located, and if you are planning to buy a home (and if so, what the budget is)...
Houston probably has the largest and most established Asian communities in the state, but most of them are in town (at least inside the Beltway.) The Korean area is off I-10 near the Spring Branch area I believe. With the exception perhaps of Sugar Land, the suburbs may not be as much of interest for this.

Old 07-26-2010, 12:09 PM

108 posts, read 254,432 times
Houston for sure. I lived in Houston last yr. There are tons of Asian people in town. The disparity in Asian ethnic group is huge. People living in Sugarland are more educated families, while lower income Asian live close to China Town. They are all Asian, however, they are of different classes.

Compared to Houston, Asians are spotting in Austin. You could find a few good Asian resturants in town. Many Asian in town are students and working professionals. Students live in downtown. Professionals live in west 183 or round rock. Any way, I like houston much more than Austin in view of the minority background.

Old 07-26-2010, 01:16 PM

1,694 posts, read 3,621,070 times
I think both cities would work Austin does have a growing Asian population though a few Austin links to check out.

Austin Asian American Chamber of Commerce

Chinatown Austin - Home

Welcome to the Asian American Cultural Center

http://www.naao-austin.org/index.htm

Austin Asian American Film Festival - Home

Asian Austin - Asian news and events in Austin, TX

Old 07-26-2010, 03:45 PM

Thank you everyone, especially the links. I think we will take a trip down this week to explore both cities for a couple days each. I know it is a long drive, but this is a big decision. Any suggestions as to hotels in Austin and Houston which can accommodate a family of 5 (Residence Inn or Embassy Suites type)? I think we are leaning towards West Lake in Austin and Memorial in Houston. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin