Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 11:31 AM

4 posts, read 11,222 times

Advertisements

We just found out we are relocating to Austin and will be arriving this week for our first house hunting trip. We are new construction people looking in the Lake Travis/Eanes school district's with a budget of 600K-675K.

We plan to look at Falconhead West, Senna Hills are there any others? How is Rough Hollow?

If I am missing any others please chime in!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 12:38 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,801,403 times
It depends on what you look for in a neighborhood. The original Falconhead still has a few lots for sale. Also, within Apache Shores and Cardinal Hills, there are diamonds in the rough of new homes among the existing homes. Rough Hollow is nice, but, personally, I don't like when it takes forever just to get out of your own community when you need to get somewhere.

Alta Vista still has a few lots too. Much of Eanes, except for Senna Hills, will be much higher prices for custom builds.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:47 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,162,494 times
Vistas at Lake Travis
Spanish Oaks?
Travis Settlement
The Reserve

Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM

Thanks to both of you!
Falconhead West, I think you live in that neighborhood if I have correctly gleaned that from your posts! I want something that is complete or in the process of completion within the next 3 months. I prefer not to build from scratch as we have 2 kids 6 and 10 and I don't want to move them twice. I will have our agent check out everything from these 2 posts. Thanks much!

Old 08-16-2010, 08:56 PM

Yes, I live in Falconhead West and there are several spec homes. Falconhead doesn't have specs as they're building to order, and Alta Vista also doesn't have any specs left, I don't believe, as last check they were only selling lots to build.

I don't think you can get anything in Spanish Oaks for that price range. The Vistas is condos and duplexes and some "houses" with condo as the zoning so financing can become difficult, so I tend to advise clients to look at alternatives purely for resale issues if the condo financing continues to get tighter and tighter.

Senna should have some specs also.
Good luck.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:50 PM

Falconhead West,
Thanks for your info, we just arrived home last night from 4 days in Austin. We love the neighborhood feel of Falconhead West! Very similar to our current neighborhood. We have our eye on a couple of Drees specs.

Loved Rough Hollow, but WAY to high of taxes and it seems like it will take forever for that area to have a neighborhood kind of feel. Beautiful homes though.

I also can't say enough about how friendly people are in that area. I am originally from North Carolina and know about southern hospitality but the Bee Cave, Lakeway area was above and beyond. Very very friendly and helpful people. Can't wait to move there!

Thanks again to you and the others who responded to my thread.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 AM

Glad you liked the area and were able to find a couple of possibilities.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,818 times
Default Moving to Austin

Hi Momof2kiddos,

Our family is also relocating to Austin (from Dallas) after our kids complete school this spring (2 boys almost 10 and 8). How has it been and where did you end up?

I do not know alot about Austin, but from what I've learned we have narrowed down to Eanes or LTISD. We have always lived in
older homes (in historic neighborhoods) so this will be a change for us, but like the topography and the good schools. My husband works at the Hill Country Galleria so we want to be close due to traffic concerns. Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Meredith

Old 03-16-2011, 11:07 AM

101 posts, read 218,903 times
we have a friend who rents in falconhead and has been kind of disappointed with the quality of the apartment. rough hollow looks nicer but is much pricier. both are close to public and private schools in the area

Old 03-16-2011, 11:54 AM

172 posts, read 411,270 times
if you send your kids to Lake travis. you better hope they are great athletes or rich, cause to fit in at that school you have to be a badass athlete or be rich. OR else you will just be an average joe.
its a good school and all but yeah. anywere in Eanes area i feel is nicer its a huge area that is eanes. Westlake high school is more academic and like everyone seems to find there own group to hang out with. at LTHS i have the impression its more so your an athlete or your not. lths holds it down though for partys hell they just won state for like the 4th time in a row! sports they are excellent. if you want a more academic school, westlake high school or any private school or westwood would be good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: