Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 03:52 PM

26 posts, read 61,651 times

Advertisements

the ZIP code is 78759...what is the name of the neighborhood, and/or a description of it. What kind of people live there? is it safe? if i live there, should I have a car (my work is walking-distance, but for other things)? thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 04:19 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
I call that area "Great Hills."

I drive by it every day. It is safe, pretty, and considered a desirable location to live.

The Arboretum area is very close by - but I think you'll want a car unless you are a hermit and live by delivered food and Netflix. It's damned hot now and a five minute walk will make you sweat.

Old 08-16-2010, 04:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,882,004 times
Arboretum area. Great Hills Trail is a mid-size arterial road with office, retail and apartments. There is also a nearby neighborhood of homes called "Great Hills", but the street itself is not inside that neighborhood. But it is very much in the Arboretum neighborhood.

It's a very good neighborhood. Safe. There are some hill country views from certain vantage points, some nice restaurants like Z-Tejas, and plenty of shopping nearby. About 10-15 minutes to downtown Austin without traffic.

You will need a car, as you would practically anywhere in Austin. Only a couple of central Austin neighborhoods are livable without a car, and even then, you'll probably need one for certain trips.

Old 08-16-2010, 05:46 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Oh I don't know about the whole car thing. What would you want to get to on a daily basis that one would need a car? You are within a block of both Sprouts and a Super Target for your groceries. There are plenty of restaurants and other misc shops within a very short distance. If you don't mind a bit more walking you can get to the HEB on Braker and 183 or the Whole Foods on 360 (though they will eventually move). There are two movie theaters within walking distance as well as a few places with bars (e.g. NXNW, Iron Cactus) for a little bit of night life (not exactly 6th street, but certainly doable as a local place to hang out). Then there is also Barnes and Noble and the other Arboretum shops.

I lived on the other side of 183 off of Jollyville for a while on two separate occasions and would walk everywhere. Several years ago when we had a snow storm and the city shut down for a couple of days, it was great because I was able to walk to most anything I needed (assuming they were open of course) and, sliding cars aside, it was far safer than trying to drive (esp since that area can be a bit hilly). I don't mind the heat, so a 5 min walk (or 15 or 30 minutes for that matter), esp after dark, is not an issue at all to me so YMMV. And it's an area where I never felt any danger walking after dark.

Back to the car thing, obviously if you want to explore the rest of Austin then you'd probably prefer a car. But I think there is plenty within easy walking distance that you could get away without using it much. Also, the 9XX express buses from downtown go down Great Hills Trail just west of 183, so walking to the bus stop and then taking the bus downtown and back is quite easy (I've done that as well).

If there is a downside to that specific address, it's on the "other side" of Great Hills Trail (i.e. east of 183) so it's an apt complex that smack dab in the middle of all that retail/commercial. The west side of Great Hills Trail has more homes and apts so has a bit less of a commercial feel to it. Then again those apts back to all that wooded UT land and if I remember correctly have a racquetball court (I think I looked at those apts when they were being built) so it's not exactly that bad.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:32 PM

7,742 posts, read 15,130,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Arboretum area. Great Hills Trail is a mid-size arterial road with office, retail and apartments. There is also a nearby neighborhood of homes called "Great Hills", but the street itself is not inside that neighborhood. But it is very much in the Arboretum neighborhood.

It's a very good neighborhood. Safe. There are some hill country views from certain vantage points, some nice restaurants like Z-Tejas, and plenty of shopping nearby. About 10-15 minutes to downtown Austin without traffic.

You will need a car, as you would practically anywhere in Austin. Only a couple of central Austin neighborhoods are livable without a car, and even then, you'll probably need one for certain trips.
this one is actually located on the other side of 183 and is very walkable. So I would say it isnt great hills or the arboretum

It is right next door to the bed bath beyond, sprouts, trulucks, strip mall and across the street from target and sams. Gateway shopping area with REI, a few restaurants, whole foods is reasonably close as well - you will be cutting through the sams parking lot.

Old 08-16-2010, 06:38 PM

293 posts, read 730,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnerd View Post
You are within a block of both Sprouts and a Super Target for your groceries.
Minor correction, that's a regular non-super Target there.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:33 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelrod View Post
Minor correction, that's a regular non-super Target there.
Ah yes, you're probably right. They do have a grocery section, though I do believe it is smaller than that of an official "Super Target".

Old 08-17-2010, 03:52 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seank View Post
the ZIP code is 78759...what is the name of the neighborhood, and/or a description of it. What kind of people live there? is it safe? if i live there, should I have a car (my work is walking-distance, but for other things)? thanks!!
That is a great area, you could actually live there and walk or bicycle to everything that you need to live. Even if you used a car or electric scooter you would not have to drive far to expand your recreational options considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin