Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 10:12 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking back, and the only time I've been accosted on foot (and that not aggressively) by a panhandler has been on the Drag, and that was way earlier than the 90's - more like the 60's or 70's - and it was an isolated incident.

Not downtown, not in South Austin, not in North Austin, none of the places I've lived and worked in Austin and walked.

Even the ones panhandling by the road haven't been aggressive about it. Entertaining, sometimes, yes!

Most aggressive have been those folks by the side of the road (or in the middle of it) collecting funds for one religious organization or another.

But I figure it's just part of the local color, and something I'd find living in any other city of comparable size or larger, and don't worry myself about it too much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 10:17 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Even the ones panhandling by the road haven't been aggressive about it. Entertaining, sometimes, yes!
Only time I ever gave money to panhandler was a guy who came up to my car outside of Ben's Long Branch BBQ. He offered to come up with a poem on the spot on any topic for $2. It's was actually pretty good and probably 20 lines long. Well worth the $2.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonlime22 View Post
Don't know if they're more dangerous, but we may have more than before, esp. per capita.

This summer I had 2 sets of houseguests (from differnt states) who commented on how many homeless people we have here.

I hadn't noticed...supposed I am used to it.
Were your houseguests from northern, more chilly, climes, perhaps? I think most southern areas have more simply because, well, it's easier to live outdoors where it doesn't snow.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:29 AM

1,774 posts, read 3,793,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Only time I ever gave money to panhandler was a guy who came up to my car outside of Ben's Long Branch BBQ. He offered to come up with a poem on the spot on any topic for $2. It's was actually pretty good and probably 20 lines long. Well worth the $2.
Lol I'd go for that, too.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:30 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
How about the "characters" we have here, like "leslie the cross-dresser", and all? Our bums are more spaced out as well. I don't know that I would call "Leslie" a bum, though hard to classify him/her.

Per more bums there than the past per cap., if anything, blame it on the recession..lots more folks getting tossed out of their houses(foreclosure), losing everything they have, etc.....and that itself should be of more concern than the unslightliness of an increase in panhandling...it could easily be worse, as it could turn violent, with pursesnatchings, muggings, and all the other stuff that comes out of desperation, drug related or not...

Old 08-24-2010, 10:31 AM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
That bum likely was a MA grad of UT's English department.....

Old 08-24-2010, 10:33 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Hmm, like some of the other posters, the only time I ever had an "aggressive" panhandler was on the drag! I think there was a guy there several years ago, maybe it was the 90s, that was known for doing that (being aggressive, at least verbally, if you didn't give him some money)...

Something happened to him, can't remember if he was arrested or got into some kind of violent altercation (I recall it was in the news), but after that he was gone.

All the other panhandling solicitations I've gotten have been harmless, but there have been quite a few.

Old 08-24-2010, 10:37 AM

355 posts, read 922,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Were your houseguests from northern, more chilly, climes, perhaps? I think most southern areas have more simply because, well, it's easier to live outdoors where it doesn't snow.
One from MI, and one from FL.

There are PLENTY of homeless in NYC an Chicago--damn cold there.

I think Austin is just more tolerant, FWIW.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:16 AM

1,148 posts, read 2,779,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
My friend Tim was accosted by panhandling kids on the drag. Big mistake...Tim never had any money! So they beat the sh*t out of him.

Love that Austin attitude towards letting these bums roam free.
Being poor and homeless isnt a crime, beating the **** out of someone is. See the difference.
Our society has problems if you use police power to brutalize the weakest of society thats downright evil in my book.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:55 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,896,347 times
Sorry for the long post...

I've never been to any medium or large-sized city where there weren't people "living on the margins". As for comparing the personalities between different city's homeless? Unless someone's done some heavy duty research - it's all anecdotal to me. Although there might be some noticeable difference between the aggressiveness of cold weather and warm weather homeless simply because of the desperate situations when the temperatures drop into sub-zero territory. That brings a homeless person into a very acute situation. It's common to see dozens of people huddled up sleeping on top of sewer grates (steam) to keep from freezing to death. Literally.

And of course there are different kinds of homeless. There are the traditional bums and hobos: those able but not willing to work. Romantically speaking, these would be the guys with a stick and a bandana tied to the end, walking the rails whistling an old Spiritual tune...I won't lie, I fancy that life sometimes These days, I suppose those are the ones standing on the corners with clever signs. Mostly benevolent if not annoying (best one yet is the woman with one leg and a sign that reads: "please help, on last leg").

Then there are those that have meth/drug and/or alcohol addictions. These people can be a little more desperate and aggressive. They cannot see the future past their next fix.

Then of course there are those with severe mental disabilities and these people can be the most unpredictable of all. Mostly, they aren't even panhandlers as they are often not lucid enough to formulate proper interaction with others. The other day I saw a woman in the intersection of 6th and Congress pull her pants down and caper about in front of a bus as it was loading up with passengers. My initial reaction was to laugh but really, the whole scene was unfortunate...

Austin has all of these types as do most relatively large cities.

I did have several "homeless" people sitting on the hood of my car parked on San Jacinto after having dinner with my wife. After I annoyingly asked them if they would "kindly get off my car", they were pretty apologetic. No harm, no foul I suppose. Anywhere around the homeless shelter on 7th/Red River will likely be issues of some sort: you know, the shelter across from the Twin Liquors just around the corner from the biggest drunken street in Austin? Good work City of Austin

A homeless guy did find my wife's small bag (with cell phone and wallet filled with credit cards ). He looked through her phone, saw "husband" and called. When I saw "wife" show up on my phone I answered "hey babe what's up?"...only to be answered by a raggedy voice named "Joe"! Anyway, the guy was totally true and returned everything unspoiled. I gave him $20 and he went merrily whistling on his way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin