Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 2,945 times

Advertisements

My wife and I were wondering about the number of snake encounters in the neighborhoods in SW Austin we're still considering. It didn't occur to us to worry about it until we saw signs cautioning of rattlesnakes in a greenbelt in Shady Hollow West. We're used to occasional grass snakes (though we don't like them), but we've got young children, so poisonous snakes were a dealbreaker for us.

The neighborhoods we're still considering include:

Southland Oaks
Circle C
Legend Oaks
Western Oaks

Does anyone with experience in any of these neighborhoods feel like poisonous snakes have been driven out of the neighborhood? Or do the smaller green areas in these neighborhoods still support poisonous snake populations?

Thanks in advance,
Alan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 06:31 PM

2,185 posts, read 6,434,427 times
Don't buy a greenbelt lot. That's where most of them are seen.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:14 AM

10 posts, read 29,968 times
I live in Western Oaks section and have seen a few snakes, but mostly of the garden variety. But I agree with llkltk, the greenbelt lots are where you will find the most snakes.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:22 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
You'll find them near greenbelts, and you'll find them (and other critters) where there's new construction, trying very hard to get to a home that no longer exists. (Think Katrina, think Haiti, only for bugs and snakes and other critters - that's pretty much what it's like for them when we move in and start tearing up and building right on top of their habitat. That might give you a bit more sympathy for them being around your house.)

Old 08-31-2010, 07:54 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansl317 View Post
My wife and I were wondering about the number of snake encounters in the neighborhoods in SW Austin we're still considering....
Hi Alan,

This question of snakes comes up from time to time on the forums. It's tough to answer without sounding as if the concern is being minimized or discounted, but my response is that it's not even an issue that belongs in the home search decision-making process because the risk of being bitten is enormously small, as are the consequences even if bitten.

Ruling out any of the SW Austin neighborhoods mentioned because of a fear of snakes would be entirely irrational from a home search perspective.

Good luck!
Steve

Old 08-31-2010, 11:20 AM

475 posts, read 1,094,151 times
If things get too out of control with snakes... you can always call this guy:

YouTube - Snakes on a Plane - The TV Edit - The famous line

He is good with getting rid of them!

Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,736,789 times
Hey this might be a great was to deter folks from sprawl developments.......

Move to the city where there are no poisonous reptiles!

Seriously though I think the odds of drowning in Lake Travis or dying in a car crash are many, many times more likely than any chance encounter with a snake. Even as animals go you are much more likely (117 deaths in Texas since '02) to die from West Nile virus transmitted from a mosquito than poison from a snake:

Texas Department of State Health Services, News Updates

Time to buy a new can of DEET........

Last edited by verybadgnome; 08-31-2010 at 12:46 PM..

Old 01-28-2011, 05:25 PM

1 posts, read 2,493 times
I visit my family who lives in circle c.They do have rattlesnakes there in the subdivision.The babies usually come out in the spring and fall.They had one in their garage and neighbors had a bigger one in their yard.The bike path behind the subdivision has several different kinds of snake they see when they ride their bikes. They find them fascinating, wish I did...yuk.

Old 01-28-2011, 05:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
A snake will not bite you unless you step directly on it - making contact, or by jacking with it, once discovered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: