Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2010, 05:42 PM

33 posts, read 82,952 times

Advertisements

I know this is stupid to ask, but is Austin very flat opposed to what everyone claims to say the whole state of Texas is flat topographically?

From photos I had seen of Austin's lakes, I see a lot of sloping hills along them and nice bird eyes views of residences and natural surrounding . Is it true or those were taken for tourist promotion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 05:45 PM

187 posts, read 467,881 times
Austin isn't as hilly as San Fran or Seattle, but it isn't as flat as the Nebraska & Kansas prairies! LOL!
There are some roads on hills that do tend to be closed during the rare ice storms...

Old 09-22-2010, 05:46 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,055,823 times
It is all true. Austin is in the edge of what is called the Hill Country, East of Austin is sort of flat, West of Austin is hilly.

P.S. THIS MAP SHOWS THE TOPOGRAPHY OF LAKE TRAVIS BEFORE THE DAM WAS BUILT AND IT BECAME A LAKE.

See this topographic map of the area:

Old 09-22-2010, 06:41 PM

1,534 posts, read 2,770,876 times
Most of Austin is not flat- flat, but it is not the front range of the Rockies either! The west side of town is hilly, the east side is more rolling. The only parts that are flat would be parts of North Central - much ( though not all) of Hyde Park is pretty flat, and parts of far south Austin towards Kyle/Buda are prairie like. Not all of Texas is flat either. There are some serious mountains west of the Pecos river in Texas, and even the panhandle which specializes in flat has some beautiful canyons. You fall down to the hills - go figure. The coastal plain from Houston to Corpus to Brownsville is beyond flat, until you see the northern suburbs of Dallas, which lack a single topographical or architectural feature. Now that's flat. El Paso has real mountains, but after that, Austin is the least flat major city in Texas.

Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,423,146 times
I am from the Northeast and currently live near Lake Travis. And I still think Austin is flat. Things that are considered "big" hills here are just normal where I'm from. Don't get me wrong, there are flatter places, but Austin (and even the Hill Country) is far from hilly, IMO.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 PM

187 posts, read 467,881 times
LOL mm! I agree! Having driven thru the Rockies, the terrain around Austin is flat in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin