Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 12:20 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,885,842 times

Advertisements

For such a bad job market, it sure seems like Austin companies are offering a lot of outside-of-Austin applicants jobs... you figure if everyone here was so overqualified and underemployed, companies could just take their pick of local talent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 12:22 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
When hiring, I don't care where you are from, or where you live, just what you can do.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainwreck20 View Post
When hiring, I don't care where you are from, or where you live, just what you can do.
Makes sense, but why can't businesses find people "who can do that" here? Surely if someone here were equally qualified, it might be cheaper and quicker to hire the local. Are there just not that many qualified people here in certain specialties? Or are they all employed?

Old 10-08-2010, 01:00 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Makes sense, but why can't businesses find people "who can do that" here? Surely if someone here were equally qualified, it might be cheaper and quicker to hire the local. Are there just not that many qualified people here in certain specialties? Or are they all employed?
In my little niche of IT, many potential applicants have done time at the State or have graduated recently from a TX university. For my field and what I need to hire, these candidates aren't learning the required skill set at State agencies and all of the TX universities are at least 10 years behind the curve. My last 4 hires have been from AZ, AZ, MS, and OH.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
In my little niche of IT, many potential applicants have done time at the State or have graduated recently from a TX university. For my field and what I need to hire, these candidates aren't learning the required skill set at State agencies and all of the TX universities are at least 10 years behind the curve. My last 4 hires have been from AZ, AZ, MS, and OH.
So would that then imply that Austin candidates are not "underemployed and overqualified" as is so often stated on this forum? And that tech jobs here aren't being filled with the glut of of work-for-cheap UT recent graduates?

It's an interesting take certainly for the out-of-towners looking at moving to Austin... especially given so many threads about how terrible the job market is here, particularly for skilled positions, especially for outsiders.

Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,650,196 times
Quote:
it might be cheaper and quicker to hire the local
Quicker is a dangerous requirement for a job hire. Although we obviously expect you to start work soon (2 to 3 weeks), almost everyone (in or out of town) can manage that, so it has not been an issue. As for cheaper - maybe it is for the applicant (no moving expenses, already established, etc), but we do not pay moving cost, so there is no difference for us. We are offering a salary based on their resume, not their location.

Now, we do hire probably more locally from Texas and have several Austin natives, but that is probably due to the fact that we are a locally grown company and that it helps a resume to know the state regulations.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:24 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
So would that then imply that Austin candidates are not "underemployed and overqualified" as is so often stated on this forum? And that tech jobs here aren't being filled with the glut of of work-for-cheap UT recent graduates?

It's an interesting take certainly for the out-of-towners looking at moving to Austin... especially given so many threads about how terrible the job market is here, particularly for skilled positions, especially for outsiders.
I wouldn't say that. My niche has maybe only 300-400 people in the Austin metro area in it and probably 75% are employed in the public sector. Unfortunately, the public sector isn't preparing entry level candidates for advanced positions in the private sector and most entry level jobs in my field are in the public sector. It's a vicious circle that has caused me to find better 3-5 year candidates elsewhere. I'll hire from anywhere but I have never been impressed with many in my field locally.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,715 times
I don't want to sound like a total A-hole, but if you're someone like me and lived and worked in Silicon Valley for years, It means you've dealt with working in an extremely competitive, sometimes brutal working environment. So I'm "battle-tested". That means we might bring a lot of experience to the table when it comes to moving to another city that might not be as tech-centric. I am in no way trying to put Austin down since it is where I want to move someday. But bringing a lot of experience from somewhere else might be a good thing. Flame away...

Old 10-08-2010, 06:05 PM

629 posts, read 1,654,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I don't want to sound like a total A-hole, but if you're someone like me and lived and worked in Silicon Valley for years, It means you've dealt with working in an extremely competitive, sometimes brutal working environment. So I'm "battle-tested". That means we might bring a lot of experience to the table when it comes to moving to another city that might not be as tech-centric. I am in no way trying to put Austin down since it is where I want to move someday. But bringing a lot of experience from somewhere else might be a good thing. Flame away...
sliverbox

Old 10-08-2010, 06:40 PM

648 posts, read 1,965,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobert View Post
That's absurd, but believable. I see alot of that here, and hang out with a few people who have that type of arrangement - but I don't judge them for it. Maybe it's a southern thing. When I see someone with my same level job, my age, children, with a SAHW, but living in Tarrytown, for example - it's pretty obvious what's going on. I'm not bitter about it, but I will not take their uppity attitude about it.

Why are the baby-boomers subsidizing their children like this? Are they trying to keep on good terms with them so they don't get placed in bad nursing homes? Perhaps it is the smaller family dynamic that is funneling this wealth.

It's not a Southern thing. It is VERY common in NYC, practically the norm. The rents just have the cash. I may do it too if I'm so lucky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin