Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 12:23 PM

2,211 posts, read 4,850,901 times

Advertisements

And on my final note, b/c I am not going to get drawn into another HOA debate with the histrionics on this board, but I have a question in general....

Does anyone else find it.....strange ......that IC_Delight made an Anti-HOA post LAST YEAR (In October) on this thread. Then, yesteday, a new member (who only has one post) specifically mentioned IC_delights one anti-HOA post, effectively bumping it.

And then, mystery of mysterys, IC_Delight immediately knew that someone had mentioned His year old post, and was back to argue on it again?

I mean, literally less than 2 hours after CptnRn advised Malsch (the new one time poster) that he had not heard of industry wide problems in HOAs, IC_Delight was aware of this and started his anti-HOA rants again complete with prepared material and links to worst case scenarios.

Does anyone else find that strange? Does anyone else wonder if perhaps a poster created another screen name for the purpose of bumping a thread? It seems strange to me, but I guess it's possible. Very unlikely, but possible.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 06-05-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 12:33 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,001,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayBrown80 View Post
To be INFORMED on an issue, you have to learn all the pros and cons of said issue, weigh them, and make a decision.
Exactly! That is why IC's information is good along with all the "HOA's are wonderful" posts, (which is what was here before IC started posting). I'm not going to try and defend anything else I've said that you're making reference to because it's a waste of time and energy. I don't have a need to argue just to argue.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
Exactly! That is why IC's information is good along with all the "HOA's are wonderful" posts, (which is what was here before IC started posting). I'm not going to try and defend anything else I've said that you're making reference to because it's a waste of time and energy. I don't have a need to argue just to argue.

Sigh. Okay, whatever you say dear. EXCEPT, there were no "hoa's are wonderful" posts on this thread at all. IC_Delight railed against HOAs on 10-09-2010. No one said anything about having a positive experience with HOAs until I did on 06-05-2011. I know that those pesky FACTS do not support your post above, but it was a full 8 months AFTER IC_delight bashed HOAs that someone came along and said "I like HOAs". This is something you can easily look up, to save yourself the embarassment of the incorrect information you posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtoiletsmkgdflrpots View Post
I'm not going to try and defend anything else I've said that you're making reference to because .
Because.......you are wrong?
Because.......you don't have the facts straight?
Because.......you have already formed an opinion on HOAs, and don't want to hear any information that counters that?
Because......you don't feel that people that are Pro-HOA have a right to post about their Positive stories concerning HOAs?
Because......you have admitted that you have never lived in an HOA, or even heard of one before IC_Delight mentioned it to you, so you are not informed on this subject and have no personal stories to offer?

And I really will let it go now b/c I don't want to get into another argument with FlwrPots as I know I will end up saying something that will just get erased by a mod anyway.

People that have had good experiences with HOAs have a right to tell those stories too, FlwrPots.

Last edited by JayBrown80; 06-05-2011 at 01:46 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Does anyone else find it.....strange ......that IC_Delight made an Anti-HOA post LAST YEAR (In October) on this thread. Then, yesteday, a new member (who only has one post) specifically mentioned IC_delights one anti-HOA post, effectively bumping it.

And then, mystery of mysterys, IC_Delight immediately knew that someone had mentioned His year old post, and was back to argue on it again?
This message board has a "subscribe to thread" feature that sends an email every time the threads a user subscribes to receive replies. My guess would be that IC_delight uses that feature.

We're getting off topic here and I'd rather not give up an hour of my Sunday afternoon do surgery to remove a bunch of off-topic comments in the recent replies above. Especially since it will likely result in me being accused of bias, because I've weighed in on this topic in the past. From this point forward, either use this thread to discuss HOAs and quit discussing the people who are discussing them OR expect that your entire post will be deleted.

Also, the topic of HOAs has been shelved in this forum in the past. If it can't be discussed here in a civil fashion in 2011, there's space on the shelf to put it back there. Try discussing it without getting personal, so we don't have to resort to that.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
This message board has a "subscribe to thread" feature that sends an email every time the threads a user subscribes to receive replies. My guess would be that IC_delight uses that feature.
I suppose that IC_Delight might be using the "suscribe to thread" feature on Every post they have ever made. I feel sorry for him, considering the sheer volume of posts that he makes and are made in the controversial flame wars that are HOA threads. I couldn't imagine the amount of mail that IC_delight gets.

Moderator cut: see comment

Last edited by JayBrown80; 06-05-2011 at 01:49 PM.. Reason: I checked. If there was a violation of the TOS, we would address it.

Old 06-05-2011, 03:56 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Quote:

I am simply suggesting the same thing for IC_Delight that you have suggested for Artsyguy. It's just you happen to share IC_delights anti-HOA veiws, so you feel compelled to finger wag at me. Shrug.
I voluntarily bought a house in an HOA community. Where do you see me saying I am anti - HOA. I did just bring up some friends who are very pro government who hate our HOA but it is a specific HOA. And Dr. Jeff wrote "people" in his post, not "some people." I am not wagging my finger, I am just telling you your claim of bias in inaccurate. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they are being condescending or wagging the finger or bullying etc. I am simply disagreeing with your assessment of the situation.

But writing stuff like "sigh" is pretty condescending. I don't read things into words that are not there and I typically don't assume others are being condescending, wagging their finger, etc unless they put some obnoxious emoticon or add name calling to a post. I suppose the reason I do not do that is because I come here to have friendly conversations and my assumption because of my world view, is that most other people do the same.

Old 06-05-2011, 07:15 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
Are you renting at a loss ?

Borrow against the equity of the first house.

You'd better have a lot of equity in that first home, if its considered rental property. I don't have exact figures, but to get a HELOC on rental/business property you need a lot more equity than for a primary residence.

Best thing, if you really see a HELOC as a way out, get the HELOC before renting it out. Hopefully the lending company will consider it still your primary residence.

Again, I'm not a broker, nor play one on TV! Just something to consider!

We are in a siimilar position, moved last summer, after trying to sell our house for months, no takers. We then put it up for rent, got excellent renters in about 2 weeks!We still own it, and are considering a 2nd mortgage against it to pay down credit cards, etc. Did you ever play Monopoly? Life is much like that............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin