Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 03:11 PM

355 posts, read 1,230,498 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. So, I will be moving from my apartment in southwest austin, however I was looking for some other apartments in the area and I found many, many nice apartments, on Craigslist, but they are located in North Central austin and they are dirt cheap. Why are the apts so cheap in the area. Is it because crime is high here? Or is it because the apartments are geared towards college students? I'm not a college student, but before I got my first apartment, I went to look at apts in the central area and they were HORRIBLE! The landlords were slum lords and I felt bad that they were robbing poor college students with the conditions these apartments were in. 1br apartments were like $600-$700 and only like 400 sq feet!

So can anyone enlighten me on the north central area. Why such cheap apartments? (under $500) and why are the apartments higher in southwest austin? Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 04:12 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,621 times
The North Central area would be Rosedale and Allandale and the like (Hyde Park?), and the apartments there are definitely not cheap! You're probably looking at apartments in far North Austin (Rutland? Rundberg?) that border the city limits or that are outside the city limits. Anything that's outside of the city limits is gonna be really cheap, because it's not in Austin. But, there are also parts of North Austin that can get downright slummy.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
The North Central area would be Rosedale and Allandale and the like (Hyde Park?), and the apartments there are definitely not cheap! You're probably looking at apartments in far North Austin (Rutland? Rundberg?) that border the city limits or that are outside the city limits. Anything that's outside of the city limits is gonna be really cheap, because it's not in Austin. But, there are also parts of North Austin that can get downright slummy.
Hi Melissa, thanks for responding. here is where I pulled the ads from:

Low $$$ ~ Great Pool ~ Best Prices In North Austin $$$$ (http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2010544856.html - broken link)

Here's another for a 1br for $400!, it says the apt is located in Duval near 1-35
Amazing deal in Central Austin (http://austin.craigslist.org/apa/2010489632.html - broken link)

Are you familiar with the duval area?? I'm guessing that most of the apartments that are listed for this much are around this Duval, 1-35 region. I'm wondering if this north central area is close to the East side of Austin

Old 10-17-2010, 04:35 PM

589 posts, read 1,812,584 times
One thing that stuck me about both of these ads is that neither listed the actual complex. A closer look also shows the apartments to be aged. Check out the popcorn ceiling on the first one. Those units have not been properly updated since the early 70's.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLadylawX View Post
One thing that stuck me about both of these ads is that neither listed the actual complex. A closer look also shows the apartments to be aged. Check out the popcorn ceiling on the first one. Those units have not been properly updated since the early 70's.
"popcorn ceilings" LOL I know, I was looking at that too. These type of apartments (built earlier than 1990) are often kind of ran down. But, I noticed that the apartments in southwest go for much more $600+ for a one bedroom with a limited amount of space AND they are also old apartments with cheap appliances. I'm assuming these ads were posted by apartment locaters who have contracts with these apartment managers/landlords.

The second ad does say that the apartment was located off of Duval near I-35. I want to know is that generally a bad area or is it dangerour or what,.......apartments worst looking that those go for like $600/month (1br) in southwest austin.

Old 10-17-2010, 04:55 PM

2,522 posts, read 6,035,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
"popcorn ceilings" LOL I know, I was looking at that too. These type of apartments (built earlier than 1990) are often kind of ran down. But, I noticed that the apartments in southwest go for much more $600+ for a one bedroom with a limited amount of space AND they are also old apartments with cheap appliances. I'm assuming these ads were posted by apartment locaters who have contracts with these apartment managers/landlords.

The second ad does say that the apartment was located off of Duval near I-35. I want to know is that generally a bad area or is it dangerour or what,.......apartments worst looking that those go for like $600/month (1br) in southwest austin.
Near I-35 should be a major hint..

Old 10-17-2010, 05:15 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,874,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajae90 View Post
There is a bad area north of 183, west of 35 and east of Metric. You might want to check out this old thread: //www.city-data.com/forum/austi...ime-event.html

The first ad, if it's in that area or anywhere near Rundberg, I'd stay away because there is definitely more crime.

The second ad is a bit more intriguing -- do they mean Duval Rd or Duval St? If it's Duval Rd, I thought that ends around Mopac... doesn't get close to I35. Now Duval St, that is pretty close to I35 near campus -- definitely central Austin. However, also filled with students and probably will be a dump for that price.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 PM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
The second ad is a bit more intriguing -- do they mean Duval Rd or Duval St? If it's Duval Rd, I thought that ends around Mopac... doesn't get close to I35. Now Duval St, that is pretty close to I35 near campus -- definitely central Austin. However, also filled with students and probably will be a dump for that price.
Yeah, my guess is that it's probably on Duval St. just South of Highland Mall somewhere. Highland Mall does have a pretty good amount of crime surrounding it.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:20 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
Duval isn't near I35, that I remember (or can find on the map). It runs from just west of 183 to just east of Mopac.

DTA: Oh, Duval STREET. It parallels I35, more or less, so it could be in a campus area or north of campus. Not fancy, maybe lots of students.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:00 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,380,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark311 View Post
Yeah, my guess is that it's probably on Duval St. just South of Highland Mall somewhere. Highland Mall does have a pretty good amount of crime surrounding it.
Duval Street is very long; the part of Duval next to campus would never go as cheaply as $400. Has to be the area around Highland, would be my guess. Duval Road, OTOH, is in far, far North Austin. But I think that even in that area, apartments would be more expensive.

I personally would be very afraid of living in a $400 a month for rent anywhere in the Austin MSA. Unless I had four other roommates and that was my share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin