Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 09:14 PM

11 posts, read 41,994 times

Advertisements

I have what I believe is an excellent idea for a smartphone app. Is there an app developer in Austin that, if they like the idea, can work with me to develop the app? We'll split any profits from it. I have no funds to pay a developer, so it will need to be someone who loves the idea and will invest their time in it. If they think it stinks, then of course they can walk. Anyone?

Thanks, mraytv.

Contact info: mraytv at yahoo dot com

Last edited by mraytv; 10-21-2010 at 09:58 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 08:05 AM

313 posts, read 786,432 times
My first piece of advice is don't let this be you, because this is how most developers will receive you:

"I have a great idea, I just need someone who can do all the work, absorb the risk of my idea in their labor, make me rich, and be willing to take only half the profits. You see, I am an idea guy, I bring value to this partnership"

Old 10-22-2010, 08:43 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,056,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul6835 View Post
My first piece of advice is don't let this be you, because this is how most developers will receive you:

"I have a great idea, I just need someone who can do all the work, absorb the risk of my idea in their labor, make me rich, and be willing to take only half the profits. You see, I am an idea guy, I bring value to this partnership"
Uh, the world was built on "idea guys" finding the right people to execute. I have a bunch of great ideas for iPhone apps also, but no clue where to start. Meanwhile, the programmers who know how to bring ideas to fruition don't necessarily have the creativity and thought processes that produce innovative concepts.

Steve

Old 10-22-2010, 08:54 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,879,750 times
I pretty much agree with paul6835 entirely.

Great ideas are FAR overrated, and they no longer impress me. Everyone has them. On the other hand, execution (even of a mediocre idea) is rare and incredibly valuable.

To the OP -- if you really believe in your idea then borrow some money, sell your house, etc. Put your own skin in the game.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:58 AM

474 posts, read 905,406 times
I don't think there is any problem with the model suggested. However don't think for an instant that anyone will get rich. Most smartphone apps are free, or sell for < $5. An iPhone app will pay a 30% tax to Steve Jobs.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:52 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Uh, the world was built on "idea guys" finding the right people to execute. I have a bunch of great ideas for iPhone apps also, but no clue where to start. Meanwhile, the programmers who know how to bring ideas to fruition don't necessarily have the creativity and thought processes that produce innovative concepts.

Steve
strongly disagree. Ideas are 1%, success is all about execution. Every idea that you have had someone else has already had but either chose not to execute it or executed it poorly.

This is partially why VC's refuse to sign non-disclosures and use that as a gauge of how experienced an entrepreneur is. Real entrepreneurs know that telling people their ideas is no big deal because no one will actually execute. Those that can execute have their own ideas and are executing on those and wont bother to steal yours.

There are tons of iphone developers, but realize that only a fraction of iphone apps get any critical mass because the marketing is actually the most important piece.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:59 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,128,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mraytv View Post
I have what I believe is an excellent idea for a smartphone app. Is there an app developer in Austin that, if they like the idea, can work with me to develop the app? We'll split any profits from it. I have no funds to pay a developer, so it will need to be someone who loves the idea and will invest their time in it. If they think it stinks, then of course they can walk. Anyone?

Thanks, mraytv.

Contact info: mraytv at yahoo dot com
None of the good ones will do this - they know the chance of an app making it is exceedingly small. On average the only people making money from iphone apps are the developers for hire

However if you really think you have a good idea there are some incubators /angels that will give you small amounts of funding:

Capital factory

rice alliance - they have a seminar series that costs $100 and then a business plan competition at the end

Austin technology incubator

central texas Angel network

If you are sure you want to do this, just do a search for iphone developers austin. There is also a mailing list for austin bootstrappers (bootstrap austin) where you can post for iphone developers.

Bootstrap also has groups (bootboards) for people who are "ideating". Meaning they have ideas for a company/product. you get together once a month with the same group of ideators and set goals and exchange ideas about how to execute.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:35 PM

How hard is it, I'm just asking, to write an iPhone app compared to programming a web application in php or java, or a PC app in C++.

Let's say it's something it's something basic like a finance app that does some spreadsheet-like calculations such as mortgage loans, investment scenarios, etc.

A good programmer would whip that up in 1 to 3 days I think, probably with existing modules. How long would it take an iPhone App? What do they program in?

Many iPhone Apps are little more than web interfaces for existing websites. Those must be the simplist/easiest I'd think.

Steve

Old 10-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
strongly disagree. Ideas are 1%, success is all about execution. Every idea that you have had someone else has already had but either chose not to execute it or executed it poorly...
Well, let's look at it from the other end. How costly and devastating are bad ideas and poor judgment calls? Or the failure or ability to innovate? Extremely so. History is littered with examples of missed opportunity because someone failed to recognize inherent potential in an idea.

Here are some examples: 10 of tech's biggest missed opportunities

That said, poor execution will kill even the best ideas. Maybe the real important connection is the person who neither comes up with the idea or the execution, but understands how to pair the two with the right people.

For example, Steve Jobs didn't invent the iPod, neither did apple. But Steve Jobs saw the potential after the inventor was turned down by two other companies, and had the vision (idea) of how it could work when all conventional wisdom at the time said it wouldn't.

Actually I could debate either side of this so I'm confusing myself. It's sort of a chicken/egg thing depending on which example is used.

Steve

Old 10-22-2010, 01:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 4,186,878 times
You probably could use a UX designer or graphic designer to make it usable -- if you leave it up just to the developer, well, it may be coded great but the interface may not. It usually takes more than one person to develop an app.

There are plenty of bulletin boards you could post on -- Refresh Austin comes to mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: