Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 02:00 PM

84 posts, read 225,511 times

Advertisements

There are a million more things to do in LA and its surrounding areas than in the Austin Metro Area. It is a mega-city, so to compare it to Austin, Texas doesn't really make much sense.

However, I would agree though with several here, if housing was equal - after my kids were raised, I'd consider LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 03:15 PM

5,184 posts, read 7,278,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd411 View Post
However, I would agree though with several here, if housing was equal - after my kids were raised, I'd consider LA.
If I were to make that move, it would be to Sandy Eggo a long time before LA. Best weather in N America, beach and water are always there, part of everyday life. Not as crazy as LA. Lived there 79-84, back plenty since including temporary job assignments. Son lives there now, until September.

But I'd still choose Austin. I'm a Texan, and we just aren't "settled" any place else.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:16 PM

84 posts, read 225,511 times
Yeah, good call. If other cities are in the mix, San Diego easily beats out LA.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:53 PM

30 posts, read 56,447 times
I'm from Valencia. Lived their until I attended Baylor and moved back to live in Studio City for 18 months. Transferred to Houston and currently live in Pearland. LA is a dump unless you're rich or you rent. LA has better restaurants and night entertainment... Houston beats it on everything else. Getting into downtown Houston is a million times easier than LA. The entertainment is centralized downtown whereas LA it is all over the place. Gas, housing, and living expenses are WAY cheaper. I also enjoy the patio type bar atmosphere better than the cheesy foreigner night clubs. You get more of a sense of community here in Texas. You couldn't pay me to live back in LA

Old 05-17-2013, 05:39 AM

320 posts, read 487,032 times
If money were no object, I'd move back to Thousand Oaks, CA - Ventura County, just outside of LA. You get all the culture of LA within a 30 min drive, yet you get to live in a "small town" with beautiful scenery, parks, outdoor recreation and perfect weather. Sadly we were driven out when our house dropped $200k in two years, husband lost his job and my business went under with baby #2 on the way. Had to become nomads looking for a cheap place to live on our savings and take any job with a paycheck. Looking forward to "settling down" in Austin in July. Hoping it all works out! Maybe we will get back to TO someday...

Old 05-17-2013, 09:51 AM

40 posts, read 72,896 times
Los Angeles without a thought. Then again, I would only be interested in OC. California has so much to offer (a lot more museums, world-class zoo, convenient air travel out of SJC, SFO, OAK, LAX, SNA, great food, 2 hours to ski, beach, and relatively nicer weather. I'd lived there half of my life, and some in Chicago and DC so I am used to the traffic. Gosh, I miss my 405 freeway and beltway.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:14 AM

861 posts, read 1,147,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickc007 View Post
I agree, I lived in New York, Michigan Florida....
The first time I heard we were moving to Houston, me and my brother
made a pact to run away as soon as the car pulled in.
"We're not sittin on pickett fences playing banjos ... no way"

We later moved out, but my entire family moved back.
Can't beat the people, if you value people relationships

Agree, but Cali has the "fruit" thing too, not that it matters.
But Texans are not accused of being "Girly Men"

I lived there for 5 years.
Hottest place I ever lived. Once drove to Riverside, car thermometer
said 119 degrees. Austin does not get as hot as So Cal
BUT, the heat season lasts longer.
So Cal, 2 months of the year were annoying hot
Austin, 3 - 4 months

Below is a pic from a friend sent me a few months ago
Austin doesn't get this hot

Check the weather two summers ago. It was between 105 and 115 for a loooooooong time.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:56 PM

3,247 posts, read 9,051,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
We don't have to -- other people do it for us.

Most people wouldn't compare a metro of 10 million to a metro of 1.7 million, it's obvious those things are going to be radically different in too many ways to list. So you gotta wonder about those who ask the question... what do they really want to know specifically, and why didn't they post that instead?
You mean a metro of 18 millions with 1.7 million. I think San Antonio and Houston woul be more compatiable to LA residents looking to move.

Last edited by imaterry78259; 05-18-2013 at 02:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
What a joke. As you can tell, there is no need to answer this ridiculous comparison. No disrespect toward "yu'all Texans" (hope I pronounced it right), I have to tell you something. I heard that Austin is nice and it is different than the rest of Texas because a lot of people from the North have moved there. In other words, the university drew a lot of progressive people from across the country and Austin is not so Texan-like in mentality. Is that true? And is the accent in Austin tolerable?

Old 07-10-2013, 04:49 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,399,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
What a joke. As you can tell, there is no need to answer this ridiculous comparison. No disrespect toward "yu'all Texans" (hope I pronounced it right), I have to tell you something. I heard that Austin is nice and it is different than the rest of Texas because a lot of people from the North have moved there. In other words, the university drew a lot of progressive people from across the country and Austin is not so Texan-like in mentality. Is that true? And is the accent in Austin tolerable?
Pretty much all false, including the incorrect spelling of "y'all". But, thanks for stopping by!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin