Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2010, 11:19 PM

4 posts, read 14,962 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to relocate to Round Rock. We fell in love with the houses in Teravista and want to move into that community. I do not have kids yet but want to live in area with solid academic credentials. I realized that Teravista feeds into Stoney Point High School. I have done some of my homework and keep reading that Stoney Point high is the worst high school in RRISD and that it has been associated with a lot gang violence and drugs. I am wondering if this is really true or exaggerated? Any information would be of great help. If anyone knows of other communities similar to Teravista that feed into better High schools please let me know. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 05:46 PM

947 posts, read 3,139,143 times
Exaggerated. My neighbors kids go there and have no problems. I have co-workers who have kids in that high school and they have no problems. It was over crowded for a time but now there is a new H.S. in RR. so that problem is gone.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:02 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,098,988 times
Yup, definitely exaggerated!

Old 12-07-2010, 06:37 PM

426 posts, read 1,673,525 times
Stony Point is rated the exact same as Round Rock and McNeil High (by the TEA)... you'll hardly hear people rip either of those two. If we weren't building in a near Cedar Ridge (brand new HS), I'd have no problem sending my kids to Stony.

Old 12-07-2010, 11:24 PM

10 posts, read 25,629 times
Default Exaggerated

I used to live in Teravista and teach at Stony Point. I taught lower level classes and had some of the "worst" kids at the school and had few problems I haven't had at other schools I've taught at. Some of the kids had smart mouths and didn't want to do work, but you'll have that in any public high school. I used to call some of my students the "golf cart gangsters" because most of the kids were just wanna be gangstas who listen to rap and watch way too much BET/MTV who actually live in Forest Creek or Teravista with two hard working parents. Stony Point actually has some amazing programs. They are an IB school and have a great IT and health academy. I always tell people if your kid is in honors, you are involved in their life and pay attention to who they are hanging out with, Stony Point has a lot to offer. If your kid will be in lower level classes, you don't plan on being involved in their life, and they are easily influenced by other kids who make bad choices, they'll have a hard time at any high school they go to.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:51 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,995 times
It doesn't hurt to explore all of your options. I would also look at Forest Creek, Sonoma, Avery Ranch, Ranch at Brushy Creek, Parkside at Mayfield Ranch, along with others that I'm just not thinking of right now. Is there a particular thing that you really like about Teravista? Are you looking at the lower end Centex homes or in a certain price range?

I would bet that a lot about Stony Point is exaggerated, but I tend to go the conservative route and avoid possible issues. You haven't purchased a house yet, so you're in the best position to avoid anything that might be true. There's one thread that you can find that has a lot of student comments on it from Stony Point if you google "Stony Point gang Round Rock". Whether or not the "BFG" gang that they talk about is a real gang or not, it's still something that I would want to be aware of as a parent. It does appear that this last major thing happened in 2006, so one could assume that it might not be an issue at all today.

Edit: I just saw that you don't even have kids yet. Unless you're going to adopt High School age kids, then I wouldn't worry about the High School at all. Chances are that your kids will be zoned to a different or new High School in 14 years anyway.

Last edited by mark311; 12-08-2010 at 08:01 AM..

Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 AM

4 posts, read 14,962 times
Thank you all for your valuable information you post on this forum. I regularly read the posts on this forum and it has really helped me out a lot in my process of relocation. I made a trip to Round Rock and Cedar Park this past November and practically knew what i was walking into thanks to the help from everyone on this forum.
To Mark311,
I actually liked the "new" feeling i got from Teravista and all the state of art immunities it had to offer. My wife got that picture perfect suburban neighborhood feel that you would see on tv. In addition, from the houses I saw in Round Rock, I seemed to be getting more house for my money in teravista. My price range is 285,000-335,000. We are contemplating on building with Lennar or to buy a brand new house with buffington. Trying to weigh down the pros and cons with both. I am going to making a few more trips to round rock to get a better feel of the neighborhood. Thanks for your much appreciated input.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:30 AM

2,627 posts, read 6,572,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scli1 View Post
My price range is 285,000-335,000. We are contemplating on building with Lennar or to buy a brand new house with buffington. Trying to weigh down the pros and cons with both. I am going to making a few more trips to round rock to get a better feel of the neighborhood. Thanks for your much appreciated input.
In that price range, I personally would really look at the Ranch at Brushy Creek. You would be much closer to the nice HEB at Parmer/1431, plus you're right in-between the outlet mall/Ikea area where Teravista is to the East and only a few miles from the new "1890 Ranch" shopping center to the West on 1431. You can also just cut through Avery Ranch to get to the Lakeline Mall area in minutes. The Brushy Creek trail park area is also great for future kids. I'm not sure if you and your wife checked it out already, but it also gives off that same neighborhood feel that your wife wants.

This is just my opinion, but I would be afraid to buy new at that price range in Teravista right now. The average home price in Teravista is going to plummet as Centex builds $165K homes in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin