Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 05:33 PM

136 posts, read 726,394 times

Advertisements

I moved to Austin 1 year ago after living in Dallas 6 months and before that I lived in California my whole life. I liked Dallas but my mom bought a nice, new large house here so I came down to see it. Immediately I got a very bad vibe, it was 11 at night and I-35 was totally backed up and I got an overall very negative impression, I left that night. Unfortunately I ended up living here for a year, and will soon be moving. These are the reasons I don't like Austin:

1. Total lack of businesses, companies ect. You could combine Austins entire metro, with all of San Antonios metro and it would have less companies than Dallas' MOD CUT

2. Acts like its a major "tech center", when its not. If having around 15% of the tech companies of the bay area is "major", then Austin is very major. Just a bunch of offices of tech companies based in California. Even Dell is looking shabby these days.

3. Middle age hippie liberal MOD CUT. And no im not a right wring conservative, but damn some people here are crazy. People fighting Walmart, mcmansions ect, get a life.

4. Overstated ego, people think Austin is sooooooooo special. #1 #1 Best this best that. Just like every city is.

5. UT UT UT UT orange shirts, longhorns, orange, longhorn car logo. WHO CARES! Your not special. California has about 8 UTs and you don't have people acting like MOD CUT.

6. Roads. I-35 is 2 lanes near downtown. 2. I believe Houstons are mostly around 8. The road my subdivision is on is 3 lanes. And this isnt "a freeway" its THE freeway, DFW has about 30 of these and there all better.

Thats about it for now.

Last edited by Jammie; 07-15-2007 at 09:07 PM.. Reason: language

Old 07-13-2007, 05:38 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Austin's an acquired taste that some don't acquire. Agreed that the freeway traffic sucks, although if you live and work near the center of town it's not going to affect you as much.

I'm going up there this Sunday...yes, Houston's freeways are much better but we sit in traffic too.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:43 PM

260 posts, read 1,331,284 times
to each his own. Sorry it didn't work out for you. I grew up in Dallas and went to college in Missouri and even lived in Colorado for a short time. After I got back I had grown tired of the Dallas attitude and quickly moved down here. I couldn't be happier.

Old 07-13-2007, 07:55 PM

87 posts, read 383,279 times
Yet with all those negatives, Austin still remains one of the most desired places to live. I will be moving to Austin in about two weeks, and I couldn't think of any major city in Texas that I would rather live in. If you come to Austin and expect to find a Dallas type city, then you will be dissapointed. Although some people say it's slowly trending that way...I really hope it doesn't.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txstar View Post
Yet with all those negatives, Austin still remains one of the most desired places to live. I will be moving to Austin in about two weeks, and I couldn't think of any major city in Texas that I would rather live in. If you come to Austin and expect to find a Dallas type city, then you will be dissapointed. Although some people say it's slowly trending that way...I really hope it doesn't.
The good thing is that Dallas is a short drive away so if you want a change of venue just go up there for a weekend trip. We do it all of the time.

Old 07-13-2007, 08:20 PM

18 posts, read 84,213 times
jfre81

Good point about the Houston Freeway system being better (or let's just say more abundant). But as one of those "former houstonians in austin" I'd have to say it still isn't that bad here - at least, barring any major accident or snafu, the traffic patterns are pretty set 6-9 and 4-7, but other than that it's usually only 15 minutes or so from my house in South Austin (Circle C) to the Arboretum area. That's something we can't speak about for Houston.

Although I will admit that Houston has more options in the event one artery is a mess - I think that's the biggest difference.

Moderator cut: personal

Last edited by Trainwreck20; 07-14-2007 at 07:56 AM..

Old 07-13-2007, 08:25 PM

That's true, when traffic is not bad you can get anywhere quick. I made it from Circle C to Georgetown one late weekday morning in just over 25 minutes with the new roads.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:03 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,876,700 times
mikejj2004,

Sounds like Dallas or Houston would be a better fit for you, if you stay in Texas. Austin is many things, but Dallas or California it is not. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:24 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,553,434 times
Austin's traffic isn't always all that bad - I get to choose pretty much when I want to visit and I avoid coming in at a bad time. Once I'm in the center of the city I'm golden. Then it's no different than driving down Waugh or Memorial in Houston at a non-peak travel time.

Concerning the UT and orange all over...go to College Station and it's all A&M and maroon. Even the Whataburger roof is maroon. Just comes with the territory in either place.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:55 PM

136 posts, read 726,394 times
I would agree with most everything being said here. Austin has its pluses, but as in a divorce I am just going to cite "irreconcilable differences" and move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin