Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 03:29 PM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,378 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I've been a long time lurker on these boards for a few years. So many of the posts have been helpful and informative!!

My husband and I are currently trying to relocate from central NJ to Texas. I am retired military while my husband has an IT job in NYC. As much as he enjoys his job, he has close to a 2 hour commute (each way!!)--yuck. We've lived all over the world and really don't have any ties to the Northeast other than this being my last duty station. We've have had enough of the NE--high cost of living, taxes, congestion, etc. He really wants to find a job that doesn't involve a soul crushing commute where he has to get up at 4 am. I'm sort of a small town girl growing up in a rural part of Hawaii where I really enjoyed a more laid back, relaxed style. And of course friendly people. In my military travels, I've always enjoyed Texas and the people there.

We have focused in on Austin and that is where my hubby is narrowing his IT job search. From what what I've read, there seem to be many job opportunities. We also have young kids and are looking for a place where they can grow up in a friendly hospitable environment.

A few questions.

-Is Austin a good place for military retirees? The base here in NJ is closing this year so I'm having to scramble to find a place to go for my medical needs. A few of my Army buddies have retired but around the Ft. Hood area.

-Is Austin a place where someone with a military backgroud (my hubby was also military) get a job in the Defense Industry? Right now he is IT in a financial firm but we want to keep all options open.

Thank you for any advice. He is keeping all his job options open and starting to work with recruiters in the Austin area. Of course when you are working from afar and in another state, it makes things a bit more difficult. We are also open to other parts of Texas. It doesn't really matter all that much. We just want to flee the Northeast at whatever cost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 06:34 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Military people are welcomed in general in Texas all over. San Antonio has a long history with the military, both Army and Air Force. Fort Worth is also an Air Force friendly place. Lockheed Martin is still a sizable employer in FW.

Obviously Killeen has a huge Army presence with Ft. Hood.

Austin was once the home of Bergstrom AFB, now closed. I am not aware of any notable defense industry in Austin. IT employment in Austin is very competitive and likely to stay that way for some time. But I think jobs are always opening up (then getting filled of course).

Texas has high property taxes - but you're used to that in NJ - even worse than Texas. Most homes are cheaper though - so you should see a tax reduction in general.

There is lots to like in Texas and Austin. If for some reason Austin doesn't have the jobs you want - I would give Fort Worth a good look. Very nice size, steadily improving in just about every way, affordable, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin