Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 07:45 AM

18 posts, read 169,456 times

Advertisements

Hey folks! I am looking for some tips on life for a young gal wanting to relocate...perhaps some good apartments or if Austin is a good place for a girl to move to on her own! Most of the threads related to this seem geared toward families, so that doesn't always help me.

I'm a young female looking for a single apartment. Trying to keep it under $700 (am I being overly hopefull?). Not too picky, but I want something safe/nice since I'm solo. I also have 2 motorcycles, so a garage would be sweet (tho not sure how realistic that is), but at least a safe neighborhood. And I could always get a storage unit for them.

I am looking to move in Sept. I prolly won't be able to find a job I get down there (editing/publishing/creative/media), so I can't really base my living location on my workplace location yet...so thinking living central-ish Austin (??). I am also still considering Phoenix and Tucson(for a smaller city feel)...so if anyone has lived there, your opinion is welcome for sure!!

Perhaps kind of silly, but I am moving just to get away from Minnesota winters, so there is nothing tying me down and I can be pretty flexible with my choices until the last minute when I need a route to where I'm going!

Thanks in advance!!

Last edited by LilBlue; 07-17-2007 at 07:48 AM.. Reason: clarification
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 10:17 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,164 times
Welcome to Austin!
If you need to meet some single guys (or gals) - you're coming to the right town!

Old 07-17-2007, 08:27 PM

8 posts, read 102,325 times
Central can get pretty expensive. I am a single gal myself, and live NW. Not quite as hipster cool as south/central can be, but the boring is definitely safe and getting to those parts is a 10-20 min drive most times... That said, most of Austin is pretty safe. Just don't move east of 35.

Old 07-17-2007, 09:12 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,687,302 times
I was about to say it probably isn't too bad East anymore, but then again, I guess it hasn't gentrified enough yet to be safe for a single girl on her own.

Old 07-18-2007, 09:10 AM

443 posts, read 1,541,164 times
Get yourself a concealed handgun license, and you'll feel safe living anywhere!

Old 07-18-2007, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkibare View Post
Central can get pretty expensive. I am a single gal myself, and live NW. Not quite as hipster cool as south/central can be, but the boring is definitely safe and getting to those parts is a 10-20 min drive most times... That said, most of Austin is pretty safe. Just don't move east of 35.
Monkibare - did you move to Austin from elsewhere or have you always lived there? How do you like it where you are?

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
Get yourself a concealed handgun license, and you'll feel safe living anywhere!
Haha, thats what my older brother said too!

Old 07-18-2007, 11:35 PM

8 posts, read 102,325 times
I moved when I was 18 to go to UT, and being self-sufficient, moved straight into an apartment. In 78704, the green ones right by Whataburger. BIG change from suburbs of Dallas. I lived in South for about three years, central for one, and I've lived in 78759 for about six. I'm right in the arboretum now, and I do like it quite a bit. It's not as eclectic as south central, but the basic vibe of Austin is still really prevalent in attitude, if not obvious at first glance. I don't lock my car, ever. I know my neighbors. Strangers help me move heavy stuff if I'm by myself. I'm on the greenbelt, my dog plays chase with deer that come up and hang out in our parking lot, but I'm two blocks away from the kinda bougie but fun shops and bars and food up here. Chuy's and TGI Friday's. Joe's Crab Shack and BB Rovers, who let my dog sit in a chair on the patio and eat a burger while I smoke and drink beer! It's kind of the Bermuda triangle of Austin/generic, but I'm fine with that. You don't have to choose up here, which is part of what makes it so essentially Austin cool. And if you want different, you drive 15 minutes...

Old 07-21-2007, 10:31 PM

20 posts, read 58,396 times
Default Another single gal!!

I am in the same boat. Moving to Austin from CT and am single. I'm 27, you?? It is a very safe city. Downtown feels more like a town than a capitol city!! South Austin is the new "it" place to be and seems really nice. Let me know if you find out any helpful hints!!!

Old 08-01-2007, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmoving View Post
I am in the same boat. Moving to Austin from CT and am single. I'm 27, you?? It is a very safe city. Downtown feels more like a town than a capitol city!! South Austin is the new "it" place to be and seems really nice. Let me know if you find out any helpful hints!!!
Good to hear! I'm 25. I've had several suggestions to get a place by the Uni until I find a job since its kinda central and might be cheaper. Next week I am heading down to visit...way looking forward to checking things out! Why are you moving here?

Old 08-11-2007, 02:23 PM

Wow, I am on day two of visiting Austin and I am very much liking it.
Went to Stub's, watched the bats fly out from the bridge, Checked out dowtown/6th St., Cafe Magnolia, Zilker Park. Using a scooter to get around most of the time, so we're having a blast just checking out random places. Woohoo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin