Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2011, 01:10 PM

112 posts, read 287,262 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I have a reel mower but its getting very hard to use it.
So i have decided to buy a power lawn mower.
I need your suggestions.

I have two items in my mind.

Toro Recycler (22") 190cc High Wheel Self-Propelled Lawn Mower 20331
Toro Recycler (22") 190cc High Wheel Self-Propelled Lawn Mower 20331#

Or

Lawn Boy 10645 20-Inch 6.75-Gross-Torque Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Lawn Mower (CARB Compliant)
Amazon.com: Lawn Boy 10645 20-Inch 6.75-Gross-Torque Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Lawn Mower (CARB Compliant): Home & Garden

Another Toro Super Recycler 20092 seems to be more powerful. But costly.

Please send your suggestions.

Thanks
Aadil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2011, 01:17 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
I used to repair mowers on the side so I have some experience with them. Basically what you want to look at are the engines. Briggs is one of the better brands- but I would probably go for their 5HP and above engines with an Overhead valve design. Their smaller "Sprinter" engines- which are usually the 3HP units are not as good in my opinion. There are a number of generic Chinese knock-offs out there now. Not to say these aren't good but you might have trouble finding parts.

The bottom line is that most any mower will do fine. Its all about the engine. Briggs, Honda, and Kohler are all excellent engines. The key thing to remember is to try and not leave gas in the mower all winter. That will turn to varnish and clog up the carburetor. That and change the oil at least once or twice every season- more if you have a large yard.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:19 PM

554 posts, read 1,746,247 times
How big is your yard? If its fairly small then self propelled would be a waste of money since you will just end up pushing it. I have an older model of this works fine in a fairly small yard. I bag in early spring and late fall and mulch the rest of the year. I clean the air filter monthly and change oil yearly.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM

Thank you. I don't need a self propelled. My home is on a bigger lot. Back yard is little bit big compared to the normal yards. But i can push the mower.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:48 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
If you can find them, the older LawnBoy 2 cycle mowers were excellent. I've got one from the 70's that still starts on the 1st pull. They have an aluminum deck, a lightweight 2 stroke engine, and staggered wheels for getting closer to edges. They weigh like nothing. There's no oil to change because they run on oil mixed with gas. They quit making them because the things pollute. As a former small engine mechanic I tend to go for older mowers because a lot of them were simply better built.

One more thing about if you buy a new mower: Make sure and clean the underside every once in awhile. The grass will build up under the deck and rust things out.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:59 PM

After some research i am thinking to buy 20 in. Kohler Gas Walk-Behind Push Mower.
I will appreciate for all your responses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin