Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 05:33 PM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times

Advertisements

While we wait for one large international sporting event to make it here to Austin (F1), there is at least a possibility of Austin landing another, Davis Cup tennis. The US' next match will be against Spain and the US will be the hosts, and since Andy Roddick is an Austinite (Kirby Hall alum), we have a shot at hosting it.

More here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:03 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,014,187 times
Will Perry build a stadium for it too?

Old 03-08-2011, 06:27 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
Will Perry build a stadium for it too?
No.

The nerd is right. This will be a great 3-4 day event. The site finalists are Albany NY, San Antonio & Austin...with Austin as the front runner. If Austin gets the nod, 4 - 5 matches will be played at the Erwin Center. With I'm guessing alot of practice taking place at the nearby UT courts?

US vs. Spain will feature the world's #1 player & 4-5 other top 20 players in the world (unfortunately most are from Spain ). It will have a Ryder Cup or Olympic type atmosphere & hopefully will be played right here.

I'm not a big Roddick fan but the dude is loyal & does a great job of representing his town & his country. The Erwin Center will be filled up & will be rockin' for 4-5 days. It will be a very cool event.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:50 AM

8,977 posts, read 17,542,882 times
Heck, why not play it outdoors? The weather is great here in JULY! Seriously folks, Davis Cup matches in Atlanta were much more energized than ATP or exo events...a fantastic atmosphere. Good news(as hound said) is some of the very best players in the world will be participating...bad news is that most of them play for the 'other' guys .

With Roddick and Isner for the USA, the best surface would be something fast. Likely, everyone will be coming from Winbledon grass at that time, leveling the playing field somewhat; but, the faster surface would still benefit the Americans slightly.

I've been pretty much retired since moving here in '08; but, I could get pumped up for this match(tie).

Old 03-08-2011, 09:11 AM

3,073 posts, read 3,260,320 times
Dunno about outdoors. Given that we don't get too many opportunities to host an event like this, I'd hate to risk it to the weather. The great thing about an event like this is that it doesn't require huge amount of infrastructure spending, but does have great potential to draw in a large international/national crowd (esp from the west). It could give us a taste of what things might be like when/if F1 finally arrives. Plus, any opportunity to personally watch the best player in the world along with some of the other best players in the world in fantastic, even for someone who doesn't follow tennis all that closely like me. Hopefully the ticket prices will be reasonable.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:08 AM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
I bet if it was done outside in July, Roddick would have the advantage... since he'd be somewhat used to it. What time of the day do these matches happen? Is it timed for a European audience?

Old 03-08-2011, 02:44 PM

316 posts, read 877,020 times
Tennis, indoors during July in Austin? What are these people thinking? Don't they like 100 degree heat waves?

Do we have an outdoor stadium at all? Barton Creek has an outstanding setting, but no stadium seating. Maybe the players can promote the sport at Mt. Bonnell, Lake Austin and 6th St

The tie runs Friday through Sunday. Mid-morning start times. This is going to be a blast. The only reason Austin is in the running appears to be Roddick.

And yes, Rafa & team have a slight edge.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:17 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,872,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjoseph2 View Post
Do we have an outdoor stadium at all? Barton Creek has an outstanding setting, but no stadium seating. Maybe the players can promote the sport at Mt. Bonnell, Lake Austin and 6th St
We've got the largest outdoor stadium in Texas

Old 03-08-2011, 07:20 PM

629 posts, read 1,652,803 times
OMG where do I get tickets??

So the thinking is that they'll convert the Erwin Center? I was hoping we could get a nice big outdoor stadium out of it, but I guess the lead time is too short.

Too bad it ain't USA vs Serbia. I have a slight obsession with the #3 right now.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,254 times
It will definitely be indoors.....for all the reasons stated above & one other important reason.....Home field advantage.

It will be loud & rockin' & indoors. No "golf claps" or berries & cream at this event. To win, the US will need an upset in singles & 15K screaming fans wanting David to knock off Goliath.

& alot of folks will be coming to see Rafa....to those unfamiliar with Tennis, he's # 1 in the world & a rock star. The juniors idolize him. He's to tennis what Jordan was to BBall & Woods was to Golf.

If they announce tickets please post here.

If they announce where practice courts will be, please post here. (I'd love to watch these guys practicing & fooling around).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin