Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2011, 03:53 PM

108 posts, read 274,740 times

Advertisements

Quick info about myself...

My husband is moving to Austin next week with a secure job. I'll be moving with the kids by the end of May. I've about 5 years of .net development experience. I'm planning to start my job search once my husband finds an apartment in Austin, hopefully by first week of May. Ideally, I can start working only by the 1st week of June.

Answers to any of the following questions would be very helpful.

How is the job market for software engineers?
If I start by first week of May, how long (on an average) will it take to get a job?
Do I need to start earlier (maybe now)? If so, how do I let the potential employers know that I'll be relocating soon so that I don't get rejected for not being local to Austin.
Any good technical staffing agencies or job search sites that someone could suggest? I've been looking at indeed, statesman.com and of course dice,monster and careerbuilder.

Having mixed feelings about the move (did I mention I'm moving from MI?). I lose all enthusiasm when I think about my job. Hopefully, I'll be able to find a job so that I won't regret about the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 04:51 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,073,910 times
Better plan on a longer job search. Unemployment is lower in Austin then in many places, but I don't see anyone saying that jobs are readily available or easy to find here. I do see many people saying it took them many months to find something.

//www.city-data.com/forum/austi...nt-austin.html

Old 03-29-2011, 05:20 PM

3,080 posts, read 3,265,478 times
Well since your question is specifically related to engineering jobs, here is my take.

- start now, not tomorrow, not next week, right now
- state in your cover letter that you will be moving in May. If they like you, waiting until about mid-May or so most likely won't be a huge deal for most employers.
- be flexible enough to come in for interviews before you've moved if you're fortunate enough to land an interview that early (and be sure to state this in your cover letter)
- can't help with agencies, but back when I was hiring lots of .net folk, we utilized monster heavily. be sure that your profile is "buzzword compliant". the first level of HR filtering depends highly on simple keyword searching.

The tech industry in Austin is doing better than other industries, BUT, because of that, there are many qualified folks coming in from out of state. Check out the Austin .NET Users Group (Austin .Net Users Group) and start networking, networking, networking. Word of mouth/friend of a friend/former co-workers is still the #1 preferred method of many hi tech companies for finding new recruits.

Good luck and try not to let it stress you (and your family) out too much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin