Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 02:36 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,555,108 times

Advertisements

Nothing like a good Trader Joe's thread to take your mind off the "Slow drivers on 620"

I'd shop Central Market or Whole Foods if they were smart enough to open near Avery Ranch. TJ's might beat them to it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
I think the gateway/arboretum area too. The gateway whole foods may be too big. TJ's are usually pretty small.
Said it before and I'll say it again, Whole Foods is making a mistake if they close Gateway(barring some impasse with the lease/mgmt company). The 'slowdown' re: The Domain location has been a good thing, IMO.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:40 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,961 times
This is great news!

Old 05-03-2011, 02:57 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post
Nothing like a good Trader Joe's thread to take your mind off the "Slow drivers on 620"

I'd shop Central Market or Whole Foods if they were smart enough to open near Avery Ranch. TJ's might beat them to it!
Yeah, look at how Sprouts has rejuvenated that once dead strip center in Round Rock.

Just don't get in my way when we're drivin' over there.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:17 PM

8,007 posts, read 10,430,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10scoachrick View Post

Same here if they would build something similar near Steiner. Whole Foods, Central Market, Sprouts, TJ - I'd take any of them. And I think any of them would do really well out here. There is Sunflower by the Hill Country Galleria, but that is still not THAT close.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:53 PM

589 posts, read 1,813,080 times
To those of you on this board who've never been to a Trader Joe's, prepare to be underwhelmed.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:05 PM

246 posts, read 858,059 times
TJ's is great if you're single or maybe a couple that doesn't typically do heavy grocery shopping. It's not a replacement for Whole Foods or HEB or any proper grocery store. It fits a niche between convenience store and grocery store. I don't know of any Austin stores that fill that niche. It's OK to shop at a chain if there's no local alternative, isn't it? I'm as anti-chain as the next dude, but I'm not going to deny myself pineapple salsa and hummus quartet just because it comes from a chain.

It's the place you go when you want to buy some food to last you the next day or two or three but don't have the time or energy to do a full-on grocery run. They don't have the floor space to provide enough products or selection to stock your pantry. Their bread doesn't have preservatives, so you have to eat it within a few days.

If it doesn't match your lifestyle, then it won't be exciting to you because you will never go there. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. That doesn't mean everyone who's excited about it is stupid. It just means it's not useful to you. There are certain people for whom it is a very useful store, people like me and my wife. So stop peeing on our parade. No one's going to be forced to shop there.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:38 PM

3,757 posts, read 9,061,091 times
Trader Joe's coming to Texas after all ? blog | Austin Business Journal
Cool yer jets, we have a couple of years wait in these thar parts:
"Community Impact quoted officials saying the Austin site wouldn't be until at least 2013."

Old 05-03-2011, 05:39 PM

...AND their physical footprint isn't all that huge...folks are in and out quickly, so there is some hustle and bustle in the parking lot. I think it would be perfect near Avery Ranch where a giant HEB or Randall's isn't really needed.

One significant product line is their coffee. Their organic decaf whole bean coffee is 3-4 dollars a pound less than most 'specialty' coffees(at least it was back in Atlanta).

I could easily see Dallas as their distribution hub with stores also in Houston and Austin...not sure how San Antonio would fit in.

Old 05-03-2011, 05:41 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,410,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
It's really not just another grocery store. I don't know of anything currently in Austin that's comparable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevMen View Post
TJ's is great if you're single or maybe a couple that doesn't typically do heavy grocery shopping. It's not a replacement for Whole Foods or HEB or any proper grocery store. It fits a niche between convenience store and grocery store. I don't know of any Austin stores that fill that niche. It's OK to shop at a chain if there's no local alternative, isn't it? I'm as anti-chain as the next dude, but I'm not going to deny myself pineapple salsa and hummus quartet just because it comes from a chain.

It's the place you go when you want to buy some food to last you the next day or two or three but don't have the time or energy to do a full-on grocery run. They don't have the floor space to provide enough products or selection to stock your pantry. Their bread doesn't have preservatives, so you have to eat it within a few days.

If it doesn't match your lifestyle, then it won't be exciting to you because you will never go there. That doesn't mean it's a bad thing. That doesn't mean everyone who's excited about it is stupid. It just means it's not useful to you. There are certain people for whom it is a very useful store, people like me and my wife. So stop peeing on our parade. No one's going to be forced to shop there.
Okay, now this is the first post I've seen that lays out exactly what TJ's is based on the demographic it serves, that explains how it's useful and to who rather than acting like they're just going to die without a TJ's.

I'll have to think back (or ask my kids, would be more contemporary) what they use to serve this very useful function; I'm pretty sure, given that the same demographic exists here, that there's bound to be something that will work to tide you over until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin