Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 07:15 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fil View Post
When you come, can you bring a Pat's or Geno's cheese steak AND a Franzone's pizza (simple large cheese)? God I miss those living in the South.

Austin is devoid of good, cheap Italian food. It's pasta for JC's sake. Yum.
I'm dreading that. Nothing worse than lame pasta. I'm born and raised on homemade Italian food. Both parents from Pa. I'll have to raid my mom's recipe book before I leave
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 12:12 PM

81 posts, read 332,637 times
That's because us Texans would rather have good, cheap Mexican food instead.

Old 08-09-2007, 12:18 PM

277 posts, read 1,299,055 times
Hmmm seems like a good idea for a niche restaurant there. Good italian is dead simple to make. Trouble is, everyone's definition of "good" is different. (it's not like Nonna's so it's crap!)

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malarkey View Post
Hmmm seems like a good idea for a niche restaurant there. Good italian is dead simple to make. Trouble is, everyone's definition of "good" is different. (it's not like Nonna's so it's crap!)
Yea, totally. I'm kinda that way. I almost never go out for Italian. Also a lot of Italian restaurants are sort of fancy and...that's not the kind of grub I grew up on. More like working class Italian food, complete with a coke, paper napkins, a bowl of romano cheese on the table, and the salad after the meal

Home sweet home

Old 08-09-2007, 02:09 PM

106 posts, read 391,838 times
twange- yes, NEPA's where we're from, driving to cleveland was no picnic haha. thanks again, we're very excited!

fil- there's no such thing as cheesesteaks?! I don't eat meat, but wow, that's shocking. I've heard awful rumors that there's no pierogis or haluski in texas, which are staples in my diet...say it isn't so.

Old 08-09-2007, 02:28 PM

We have at least one good cheap super casual Italian joint in San Angelo, so hard to believe there wouldn't be some places like that in Austin. The place here is run by a guy from Brooklyn I think and they make real NY style pizza and awesome cheesesteaks. I've never had one in Philly but this is good to me. Nothing like any others I've tried in TX. Also all the other basic Italian dishes. I think it's just what people are used to. People come here from other parts of the country and say there's no good Chinese, or Italian, etc. It might be just as good, but different. I would probably be surprised by Chinese food in another part of the country and might take time to get used to because it would be different.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramones85 View Post
twange- yes, NEPA's where we're from, driving to cleveland was no picnic haha. thanks again, we're very excited!
Scranton? Wilkes-Barre?

Both of my folks are from central P.A. (Altoona). I am very fond of that state

Old 08-10-2007, 02:19 AM
fil

364 posts, read 1,627,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shady12 View Post
That's because us Texans would rather have good, cheap Mexican food instead.
NOT.

Tex-Mex is NOT Mexican food and this town is predominately Tex-Mex, as advertised (granted).

I have yet to find good Mexican food which means authentic Mexican food as well as cheap and plenty.

I know, it's Texas. Yada yada yada. 8) Suck it up.

That's why this thread is about PA to Austin.
Why do we (I) keep talking about food here?

Old 08-10-2007, 06:51 PM

106 posts, read 391,838 times
twange- Wilkes-barre, born and raised unfortunately haha. I've heard of altoona, but never been there. were you born in PA?

Can anyone let me know about polish food? does anyone make pierogis that aren't mrs. t's?

Old 08-10-2007, 08:26 PM

fil I meant Tex-Mex. What we have here and call Tex-Mex and Mexican food is completely different than what's in Mexico. I personally prefer Tex-Mex to food from Mexico.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin